Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering Remote Starter...with keyless entry...Educate me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 11:27 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Considering Remote Starter...with keyless entry...Educate me!

There is a shop here in town specializing in Car Audio and Remote Starters.

They said, for $50 a door, they can give my car keyless entry and for $269 (+$100 for Manual Trans clutch override/Neutral Saftey Starter Switch) they can put a remote starter in my MANUAL transmission car.

i was not aware that Remote Starters could be fitted to Manual trans, i was also not aware that without a significant amount fo custom work, you could put autmatic locks in a car that has none to begin with. The sales guy said they would not be adding switches to the inside for the locks, but rather i would unlock/lock it with the remote, much like a car with shaved door handles would open.

Is this one of those too good to be true deals? they are a very reputable shop, but i find it hard to believe this can be done for under $500.

Also, i have heard remote starters screw up the wiring in cars. This sounds like Pish posh to me, especially if done correctly.

Also, my car has a Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) with the computer chip in the key, will this make a difference?

Someone please enlighten me, and thanks for the help.

FWIW, my ZX-2 has a very weird option package...
-Manual Windows and locks, but a Power Sunroof and power mirrors.
-a 5 speed manual, with cruise control (this is a first for me, i have never seen this before...maybe its common and i overlook it though)
-(had) premuim sound system, with a cassette deck...no CD.
-Ford P.A.T.S. System, with no keyless entry.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-29-05 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-29-05, 12:40 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you don't go the cheap route! I did and only got problems. Make sure you get a good namebrand computer (for warranty, support, and putting it in another car later). And make sure they have worked on a similar car before. Also get everything in writing.

Like on my first setup I bought a cheap computer and had a shop install it. I had to first use the unlock on my Lexus key, then unalarm the car, then start it And when my remote ran out of batteries I didn't know how to manually disarm it so I had to break into my own car and while the siren was blaring, I pulled up the carpet and rip out the wires to the computer.

After that incident I had a good shop order the right stuff and custom install it. Now when I press the remote, the alarm goes of the car starts and the doors unlock, my sound system turns on, the steering wheel moves to the right position, and the AC turns on to the preset. And they gave me a full "tour" of the system and features.
Old 11-29-05, 01:35 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

It is a Viper Alarm/keyless entry with an AstroStart Remote Start System. ill do some research on AstroStart.

BTW, I heard him say he has to "Bury the key" what does this mean? i forgot to ask him.

I have been referred to this shop by 3 separate people who do not know each other for this kind of work, so i am pretty sure they are credible. when you live in a place as small as watertown NY, your business depends on you knowing what you are doing.damn i cant remember if the name of the starter system is AstroStart or AStroFlex...**** lol...they offer 2 brands...astro and ulta and i get the flex mixed up, cant remember which goes with what. LOL.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-29-05 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 04:36 PM
LexBall
Rookie

viper is a good system.
Old 11-30-05, 09:55 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
There is a shop here in town specializing in Car Audio and Remote Starters.

They said, for $50 a door, they can give my car keyless entry and for $269 (+$100 for Manual Trans clutch override/Neutral Saftey Starter Switch) they can put a remote starter in my MANUAL transmission car.

i was not aware that Remote Starters could be fitted to Manual trans, i was also not aware that without a significant amount fo custom work, you could put autmatic locks in a car that has none to begin with. The sales guy said they would not be adding switches to the inside for the locks, but rather i would unlock/lock it with the remote, much like a car with shaved door handles would open.

Is this one of those too good to be true deals? they are a very reputable shop, but i find it hard to believe this can be done for under $500.

Also, i have heard remote starters screw up the wiring in cars. This sounds like Pish posh to me, especially if done correctly.

Also, my car has a Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) with the computer chip in the key, will this make a difference?

Someone please enlighten me, and thanks for the help.

FWIW, my ZX-2 has a very weird option package...
-Manual Windows and locks, but a Power Sunroof and power mirrors.
-a 5 speed manual, with cruise control (this is a first for me, i have never seen this before...maybe its common and i overlook it though)
-(had) premuim sound system, with a cassette deck...no CD.
-Ford P.A.T.S. System, with no keyless entry.
The Viper is a good system but the remote start can screw up the computer. I had one installed on a 1998 E430 and it worked well for about 6 months and then the car started missing badly. The diagnosis from the MB dealer was that the remote start was sending signals that the computer was trying to correct until it ran out of memory. This was a dealer that I had been with for a number of years so I do not think that it was a bunch of BS. They removed the remote start re programmed the computer and everthing was fine after that.

I had the remote installed so that I could start the car and let it warm up on cold winter days back East. I have since moved to California and no longer have to worry about the cold and no longer have the need for a remote. Pretty drastic to get rid of the remote!!!!

I would be cautious about the installation since the newer cars are fairly sensitive about any thing added. If you do go ahead with it make sure the installer is experienced and will stand behind the install. The people who did my installation stood behind it--- FAR BEHIND.
Old 11-30-05, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

you should have no issues with your remote starter, as long as install is good. All remote starter does is gives power to the starter wire, same as what your key does.

What he meant with burying the key, is that he needs to hide key that bypasses your car's engine immobilizer.

Honestly, with every alarm install, most what you are paying is actual installation (70%-80%). 500$ is definetly not "too cheap".
Old 11-30-05, 02:34 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

well, i dont actually need the remote start...i do have 2 keys, but it would be nice.

the alarm and keyless entry, i DO need LOL.