Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Politest/least rude way to signal a left-lane hog?
one high beam flash
27.08%
two quick successive high beam flashes
60.42%
horn
10.42%
left turn signal
8.33%
other - please explain
14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 12:45 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guam's speed limit is 35. people usually go around 40-45. but sometimes you get these really rude people traveling at 30 mph with another car right next to them traveling at the same 30mph while there is traffic building up behind them. The lanes in front of them are completely free...AND THEY WONT MOVE! just boils my blood.
Old 11-30-05, 06:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by aliti19
I usually come barreling behind them at a high speed and move out to the left shoulder a bit. That usually works.

I can't get over how stupid American drivers are (generally speaking) compared to the rest of the world. Anywhere else i've been (canada, greece, germany), the left lane is for PASSING ONLY. Here, there are idiots camped out there all day long.
I remember driver's ed back in the day - they never mentioned keeping to the right & i always wondered why.
No kidding. I am an American in Mexico City and on the highways here I have learned to respect that the left lane is for passing. The use of the left turn signal to pass is just as common here as it is in Europe. However, technically according to police I have talked to the use of the left turn signal or brights to pass is illegal but rarely enforced.

Mexicans who have driven in the states made the same comment about how we Americans like to park it in th left lane.
Old 11-30-05, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Flashing the high-beams is usually the way it is done, and the most commonly accepted method. With most vehicles today all you have to do is pull back on the turn-signal lever once.

However, this gets back to the age-old dispute of who is correct... .... ...especially on roads that have a speed limit....the person(s) in the left lane who is driving legally and staying at the speed limit or the person(s) who, illegally, wants to go faster and finds that car blocking him. That question had been debated back and forth a thousand times on a thousand different forums and there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut answer......each side is convinced that they are correct. Even the police and judges don't all agree on it . Some will ticket and convict the person who is "blocking" traffic; others will ticket the person speeding and who wants to get by.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-05 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 10:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What the folks in NASCAR used to call using the "chrome horn" is now politely referred to as the "bump draft". Same thing, but sounds techie!

Probably not worth getting worked up over, too many badly disturbed people out there carrying firearms. I once had a drunk wave a pistol at me - just before he plowed into the Armco barrier dividing opposing lanes on the freeway. I was in the far right lane, but not accelerating fast enough for him. He had four other lanes to choose from and NO traffic (Sunday morning, just at daylight.)

For once, the next car on the scene was a cop.
Old 11-30-05, 11:00 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by babyGS3
guam's speed limit is 35. people usually go around 40-45. but sometimes you get these really rude people traveling at 30 mph with another car right next to them traveling at the same 30mph while there is traffic building up behind them. The lanes in front of them are completely free...AND THEY WONT MOVE! just boils my blood.
that really pisses me off
Old 11-30-05, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by babyGS3
Why is the speed limit that low? Because the island itself is small, or just because of poor roads?
Old 11-30-05, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i usually don't do anything. if by the time i get close enough and he/she still doesn't do anything, that probably means he/she has no idea what he/she is doing anyway. i just change lane and pass timeand move on myself
Old 11-30-05, 04:52 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aliti19
I can't get over how stupid American drivers are (generally speaking) compared to the rest of the world. Anywhere else i've been (canada, greece, germany), the left lane is for PASSING ONLY.
The problem we have in my neck of the woods is the congestion today just doesn't make that practical. We have a speed limit of 70 MPH on a 2 or 3 lane highway with a 60 MHP limit on trucks. The combination of semi's and on/off traffic in the right and middle lane makes the left lane the only option for moving. Otherwise we would be changing back and forth so much it would be far more dangerous than just staying in line at 70-75 MPH in the left lane.
Old 11-30-05, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If more people stayed at the speed limit...or close to it.....there wouldn't be the back-up problems you have in the left lane. The main problem.....even without congestion.....is that no matter how fast somebody is driving in that left lane, there is always somebody else who wants to pass. The arguement that speed limits are too low doesn't really address the problem either because no matter where you set the limit, it would never be high enough for some people, and they would always be on somebody's else's bumper flashing their high-beams.
Old 11-30-05, 05:30 PM
dailylex
Rookie

last night i took my family to SF airport, and during the way, I encountered slow ****** that wouldnt yeild the lane. All i did were keeping a 2 cars lenght distance, and once in a while move closer letting them know they're blockin traffic. Well, that didnt work on either one.

The first one was a silver Camry, doing ~70mph constantly, so I waiting miles for a good spot to pass the *****, cut him off as soon as my rear bumper passed his front. As i looked in the rear view another car tried to cut him off as well.

the 2nd ***** was a dude on a brand new BMW 330, doing about ~70+, and brake-checked me as i got a little close to him. Well, I had to do the same thing, waited for miles for a good pass and cut him off. LOL. I think he got pissed off, highbeamed me, i slightly tapped on the brake and he backed off 1/4 mile away. I was on an ugly donor '05 ML500, so the cut off process was a bit slower than being in my IS.

I think using highbeam to signal is a little rude, and so is honking. My one and only attemp to signal is slightly pull up behind them.
Old 11-30-05, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailylex
The first one was a silver Camry, doing ~70mph constantly, so I waiting miles for a good spot to pass the *****, cut him off as soon as my rear bumper passed his front. As i looked in the rear view another car tried to cut him off as well.

the 2nd ***** was a dude on a brand new BMW 330, doing about ~70+, and brake-checked me as i got a little close to him. Well, I had to do the same thing, waited for miles for a good pass and cut him off. LOL. I think he got pissed off, highbeamed me, i slightly tapped on the brake and he backed off 1/4 mile away. I was on an ugly donor '05 ML500, so the cut off process was a bit slower than being in my IS.

Is 70 the speed limit on this road? If so, then it sounds to me like you don't have any real reason to complain. And cutting people off almost on their bumpers can be dangerous....I have seen that cause SERIOUS accidents.
Old 11-30-05, 09:32 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

I think cutting them off like that is much more rude, and not to mention, way more dangerous.

I would rather have given them high-beams.
Old 11-30-05, 10:27 PM
dailylex
Rookie

the fact is that it was night time, i was in a SUV driving behind a small sedan, they obviously already noticed me behind from a close distance. The cutting was supposed to let 'em know they're holding back traffic and pissing people off. hey, someone gotta do it right?
Old 12-01-05, 08:31 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

IMHO, If you are going way faster (90mph) than the speed limit and other people are in your way, the most polite way is to get around them and get on with your way. Why should they move over for you? Remember, you are the one breaking the law.
Old 12-01-05, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
IMHO, If you are going way faster (90mph) than the speed limit and other people are in your way, the most polite way is to get around them and get on with your way. Why should they move over for you? Remember, you are the one breaking the law.
bottom line is left lanes are for passing. to me, even if i am going 90mph, i would still stay in the right and pass on the left (even if that means i will be doing left and right all the time)

that's what i do when i am on i5 going back and forth socal and norcal, i sometimesdo around 90mph, faster than most cars, but after i pass them i almost always cut back to the right lane. it's just a good habit

Quick Reply: What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?