Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Politest/least rude way to signal a left-lane hog?
one high beam flash
27.08%
two quick successive high beam flashes
60.42%
horn
10.42%
left turn signal
8.33%
other - please explain
14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 09:07 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
bottom line is left lanes are for passing. to me, even if i am going 90mph, i would still stay in the right and pass on the left (even if that means i will be doing left and right all the time)

that's what i do when i am on i5 going back and forth socal and norcal, i sometimesdo around 90mph, faster than most cars, but after i pass them i almost always cut back to the right lane. it's just a good habit
EXACTLY!
If everyone could do this, the world (actually, America) would be a much happier place.
Old 12-01-05, 10:28 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

I know in Europe that left lane is for passing only and the police do really enforce it. I don't think it is true for the US. If it is, then the police are not doing their job enforcing it. I really do like the idea that left lane is passing only but not sure how it is going to work when traffic here is already always congested.
Old 12-01-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
I know in Europe that left lane is for passing only and the police do really enforce it. I don't think it is true for the US. If it is, then the police are not doing their job enforcing it. I really do like the idea that left lane is passing only but not sure how it is going to work when traffic here is already always congested.
when it's congested that's a different story, we are talking about natural flow of traffic here

and i don't think there is such a "rule" here in the US, it's just more about right driving. plus i don't know how the US government can really educate drivers about this.... imho US drivers are pretty bad as is already.
Old 12-01-05, 02:43 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dailylex
last night i took my family to SF airport, and during the way, I encountered slow ****** that wouldnt yeild the lane. All i did were keeping a 2 cars lenght distance, and once in a while move closer letting them know they're blockin traffic. Well, that didnt work on either one.

The first one was a silver Camry, doing ~70mph constantly, so I waiting miles for a good spot to pass the *****, cut him off as soon as my rear bumper passed his front. As i looked in the rear view another car tried to cut him off as well.

the 2nd ***** was a dude on a brand new BMW 330, doing about ~70+, and brake-checked me as i got a little close to him. Well, I had to do the same thing, waited for miles for a good pass and cut him off. LOL. I think he got pissed off, highbeamed me, i slightly tapped on the brake and he backed off 1/4 mile away. I was on an ugly donor '05 ML500, so the cut off process was a bit slower than being in my IS.

I think using highbeam to signal is a little rude, and so is honking. My one and only attemp to signal is slightly pull up behind them.
I'm thinking you were the ***** in this scenario... Sorry
Old 12-01-05, 03:46 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

The only time when people know that the left lane is for passing is on the I-15 N to Vegas
That's it, most people have no clue what different lanes are meant for.

But to answer the question, I don't bother with the high beam flashing b/c people get offended.
Even after a couple of high beam and 20 cars cutting in front of them, they're still there anyway!

I just ignore and drive around them if necessary.
Old 12-01-05, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Like I alluded to earlier.....the main problem is that here in the U.S. we have a conflicting set of rules for road behavior. One one hand we are told that we are supposed to obey speed limits, and that the left lane is for those who are doing THE limit, not for speeders. The right lanes are for slower traffic.....those going under the limit.
On the other hand we are THEN told that, like in Europe, the left lane is for passing, and people should yield to faster traffic at whatever speed they are moving ( speeding or not ) and get out of the way. So which of the two is correct.......obeying the speed laws or obeying the yield laws? THAT is where the problem is. You've got half of the drivers doing one thing and half of them doing another....and it makes a real mess. Given that even the police and judges can't agree on which group is correct, and that each group is convinced of their own correctness here, I simply see no real solution for this conflict under the present system. In the long run, we are going to have to do one of two things.......either set speed limits and ENFORCE them, or go to a German-style road where people in the left lane go as fast they want and everybody else moves over. Yet even in Germany, increasing congestion is forcing speed limits where none previously existed.....only certain Autobahn stretches are limit-free today.
In states like Kansas and Eastern Montana, where the road is uncongested and flat for hundereds of miles, we could maybe experiment with stretches of an Autobahn-type no-limit system and see how it works.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 09:49 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Someone in a diff thread posted sections of the CA laws that state left lane is for passing and if you impede flow of traffic you are in violation. I don't believe it mentioned anything about being under, at, or above the speed limit.

Even if you're "right" in doing 55 in the left, it's still smarter and more polite to get to the right lane if someone is doing 155 behind you... People who are determined to be traffic vigilantes in the left lane are 9 times out of 10, I will guarantee you, not going to be vigilantes when they're outside of their car.
Old 12-02-05, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Someone in a diff thread posted sections of the CA laws that state left lane is for passing and if you impede flow of traffic you are in violation. I don't believe it mentioned anything about being under, at, or above the speed limit.

Even if you're "right" in doing 55 in the left, it's still smarter and more polite to get to the right lane if someone is doing 155 behind you... People who are determined to be traffic vigilantes in the left lane are 9 times out of 10, I will guarantee you, not going to be vigilantes when they're outside of their car.
That's my point, Incendiary...you just illustrated it. CA law ( and many other states ) has speed limits but also states that you must yield to faster traffic. One one hand it frowns on speeding but on the other it encourages it. That's why we have a mess.

I do agree, however, that if an aggressive driver comes up behind you at triple-digit speeds the sensible thing is to move over....that's what I would do.
Old 12-02-05, 12:15 PM
dailylex
Rookie

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I'm thinking you were the ***** in this scenario... Sorry
yes i was a ***** because we were in a hurry to the airport. The traffic was somewhat dense, and those drivers were keeping a safe distance about 1/4 mile long from the car in front of them, holding back a **** load of cars behind them. Now if every driver on the road does that then there will be traffic jam everywhere we go.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I do agree, however, that if an aggressive driver comes up behind you at triple-digit speeds the sensible thing is to move over....that's what I would do.
now we have something in common
Old 12-02-05, 12:30 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I drop the back and throw sparks all over his ****,

This is soooo the reason why I need airbags!!!

Much better than my giant spotlight idea mounted in the bumper and aimed at the driver eyes behind me. Needed for the tools that drive everywhere with the brights on
Old 12-02-05, 12:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

One aspect to this is the number of whacko's out on the roads. You just don't know what they will do even at the slighest "innocent" intention. Though upsetting if they are a lane bandit, if it is safe to move around, I just do that. Then go on my way and allow sufficient space when coming back into the lane so as to not let it be interpreted as an agressive move.

Have a relative that will drive in the fast lane at the posted limits because that is the law. She refuses to move over for honking, high beam flashes and what not. Gives more definition to the stereotype Chinese driver.
Old 12-03-05, 01:55 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuddy
2 flashes..then if they dont make any effort to move you throw on the high beam til they do something...or if your in a really bad mood just get in front of them and do the same to them lol
Pass them on the shoulder
Old 12-07-05, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
Pass them on the shoulder
Don't laugh. I have seen people do this a number of times, no matter how dangerous it is .....especially in high-powered Mustangs.
Old 12-07-05, 03:31 PM
dailylex
Rookie

today i got sprayed on with windshield liquid by an Malibu driven by 2 old women on the freeway. Apparently she got poop on her windshield, and attempted to clean her winshield, not knowing that the water flew all over on my windshield (from ~2 car lenghts behind).

give me a thought about how to treat those left-lane-bandits.
Old 12-07-05, 04:13 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dailylex
today i got sprayed on with windshield liquid by an Malibu driven by 2 old women on the freeway. Apparently she got poop on her windshield, and attempted to clean her winshield, not knowing that the water flew all over on my windshield (from ~2 car lenghts behind).

give me a thought about how to treat those left-lane-bandits.

I hate that, and it usually happens right after a half day of detailing. The only thing worse is following a horse trailer, only made that mistake once.

Quick Reply: What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?