Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Politest/least rude way to signal a left-lane hog?
one high beam flash
27.08%
two quick successive high beam flashes
60.42%
horn
10.42%
left turn signal
8.33%
other - please explain
14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 02:45 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?

Inspired by another thread...

You're in the left lane of a (2, 3, 4)-lane road/highway. You're cruising along at 90 mph, well above the speed limit, and then you spy a left-lane hog up in front. They're doing 60, and it doesn't look like they're about to move over.

What's the politest (or least rude) way to signal them to kindly move out of the way?

Does it matter if it's day or night, car or big rig?
Old 11-29-05, 02:47 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

give them the bump.

I think anyway you do it, someone will think its rude and they have the right to be there. Left lane is for passing people.
Old 11-29-05, 02:49 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They known what they are doing, I like to send a single 3 round burst into the rear quarter panel... Just to get their attention that is.

I love living in GA
Old 11-29-05, 02:53 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 flashes..then if they dont make any effort to move you throw on the high beam til they do something...or if your in a really bad mood just get in front of them and do the same to them lol
Old 11-29-05, 03:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd never honk -- I use it for emergencies only.

Flashing the lights is o.k., but I prefer not to create too much attention to my intentions, especially if there is a cop that I can't see nearby ready to pounce on me when I hit the gas.

The turn signal is good, but least noticable.

My personal preference: pass them left or right then "politely cut them off".
Old 11-29-05, 03:35 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

When I lived in SF mostly I just waited behind people a lot, since there was always a convoy of minivans/suv's/large trucks blocking ever lane. Here I double flash and 99% of the time people move right on over.
Old 11-29-05, 03:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
My personal preference: pass them left or right then "politely cut them off".
+1
Old 11-29-05, 03:46 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Lets face it. They see you coming in the mirror.

The international signal to move is flashing the high beams. If they dont change lanes,its out of spite. Your not being rude.......
.....They are.!!

And just to add to it. If I see someone approaching me at a pretty good click......I get out of the way before they have a chance to flash. It's just common courtesy.

Keep that in mind when your worried about being rude.!!

Last edited by King7Two; 11-29-05 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 03:49 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
pass them left or right then "politely cut them off".

What kills me is that after you pass these jokers, THEN they move into the middle lane.

Old 11-29-05, 04:07 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by King7Two
Lets face it. They see you coming in the mirror.

The international signal to move is flashing the high beams. If they dont change lanes,its out of spite. Your not being rude.......
.....They are.!!

And just to add to it. If I see someone approaching me at a pretty good click......I get out of the way before they have a chance to flash. It's just common courtesy.

Keep that in mind when your worried about being rude.!!
I totally agree. I'm less worried about being rude than about being perceived as rude/offensive by the other person, who may or may not be packing heat, and may or may not be a crazy or not taking his/her meds.
Old 11-29-05, 04:07 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I just went through this on Sunday coming home. I'm in my bagged 2000 S-10 with fresh blocks doing 70 in a 60 following 2 other cars in the left lane. There is traffic in the middle and right lanes, nowhere for us to go and this guy comes flying up on my **** in a Dakota and starts flashing his lights. I would have gladly gotten out of his damn way but there was nowhere for me to go. After a few minutes of this guy going nuts behind me I drop the back and throw sparks all over his ****, I don't think he knew what the hell was going on and backed off real quick. I finally got an opening and moved to the left lane and he pulled up next to me pointing his finger like a maniac. I got to my exit and waved him on over but he wasn't interested.

I have no problem with the quick flash of the lights, usually I notice them coming up before they get that close and get over but if there's nowhere for them to go I stay put.
Old 11-29-05, 04:32 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I just went through this on Sunday coming home. I'm in my bagged 2000 S-10 with fresh blocks doing 70 in a 60 following 2 other cars in the left lane. There is traffic in the middle and right lanes, nowhere for us to go and this guy comes flying up on my **** in a Dakota and starts flashing his lights. I would have gladly gotten out of his damn way but there was nowhere for me to go. After a few minutes of this guy going nuts behind me I drop the back and throw sparks all over his ****, I don't think he knew what the hell was going on and backed off real quick. I finally got an opening and moved to the left lane and he pulled up next to me pointing his finger like a maniac. I got to my exit and waved him on over but he wasn't interested.

I have no problem with the quick flash of the lights, usually I notice them coming up before they get that close and get over but if there's nowhere for them to go I stay put.
OK.......thats an extreme case.....and a REAL good way to get shot.
The topic is more of ......."in the fast lane when you arent going fast.......and you could politely get over" Not a heavy traffic situation
Old 11-29-05, 05:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Technics

What kills me is that after you pass these jokers, THEN they move into the middle lane.

oh i hate that ****
Old 11-29-05, 09:27 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I usually come barreling behind them at a high speed and move out to the left shoulder a bit. That usually works.

I can't get over how stupid American drivers are (generally speaking) compared to the rest of the world. Anywhere else i've been (canada, greece, germany), the left lane is for PASSING ONLY. Here, there are idiots camped out there all day long.
I remember driver's ed back in the day - they never mentioned keeping to the right & i always wondered why.
Old 11-29-05, 10:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 364 Posts

I typically drive with the headlights on...this added visability usually encourages them to move over if they see the lights approaching at a faster rate than they are travelling. Otherwise, I'll give a flash about 50 yards before I am on their rear and if they don't budge, I signal and pass to their right then back into the lane.

I've even been caught snoozing...happend along the stretch between I-5 from Sacramento to Gorman. A G-35 came screaming up in a matter of seconds. Saw his headlight way off then a couple seconds he was behind me being followed by an M3 and a Kompressr C class. Once they cleared me, they were out of sight.

Quick Reply: What's the politest way to signal someone to move over?