Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SO.... how big of a piece of junk is the Jeep Liberty? Answer.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 10:43 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

that was not good
Old 11-30-05, 11:19 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great vid. A friend of mine is in the process of getting rid of his jeep. The problem he keeps having is the motor that raises the drivers window and rear window keep breaking. The first time was under warranty and the last two times were not. So he had to shell out $400 each time to get it fixed. And then add in the numerous other problems and I think he is going to be looking at the GX470 or the new RX hybrid
Old 11-30-05, 05:59 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Great vid. A friend of mine is in the process of getting rid of his jeep. The problem he keeps having is the motor that raises the drivers window and rear window keep breaking. The first time was under warranty and the last two times were not. So he had to shell out $400 each time to get it fixed. And then add in the numerous other problems and I think he is going to be looking at the GX470 or the new RX hybrid
Tell him to buy a real Jeep. They don't come with power windows.
Old 12-01-05, 01:47 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Tell him to buy a real Jeep. They don't come with power windows.
They barely come with Glass.
Old 12-01-05, 01:48 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Lesson NUMBER ONE in off-roading: never EVER drive over a crest you haven't inspected ON FOOT. As this guy found out, there may be NOTHING on the other side. Once the front wheels cleared the crest, that Liberty smacked down on the frame rails, taking out the front drive shaft. The Liberty is actually a pretty tough little off-roader, a fair compromise between an SUV and a Wrangler. Two FEET of ground clearance probably wouldn't have helped in this case.

I learned off-roading on a motorcycle - where the consequences of driving into an unknown situation is almost always painful, since YOU are usually the first at the scene of the accident. If you can't see what you're up against, get out and WALK. This applies to rocks, holes, crests, logs, and water crossings. Remember, it's probably a long walk home. (Worse on a bike, where you may have a broken leg or two to add to the degree of difficulty rating.)

The layout of the broken front drive shaft, the front diff, and half-shafts, and asssorted hardware was probably staged after the fact, since these items seldom break away so cleanly. It looks like most of that was disassembled.

Some folks buy a Jeep or other off-road capable vehicle but fail to get any instruction on the sport. The result is illustrated in the video. If you want to take a vehicle off-road, the easiest thing to do is visit a 4X4 club that has regular trail rides - go see for yourself what it's like, first as a spectator. Don't undertake the rough stuff until you've had a little experience. Oh, and always ride with others . . . just in case.
That's what I'm screaming!.... I'm glad he wasn't driving a RS, LX, or GX Lexus because that would have been the SAME outcome.
Old 12-01-05, 02:27 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
They barely come with Glass.

OMGF, I know right?

Haha. I like the lack of glass until you see the plastic windows under a light Constant plastic polishing to keep them transparent.
Old 12-01-05, 03:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
That's what I'm screaming!.... I'm glad he wasn't driving a RS, LX, or GX Lexus because that would have been the SAME outcome.
All three of which are suburban rolling kid wagons. I just hate to see Jeep sell out after the Hummer sellout. Greed is killing our fun.
Old 12-01-05, 03:43 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRAIL RATED*

*Not Really
Old 12-01-05, 05:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have destroyed these things very easily in the 1/4 mile...seems like their engine bays attract a lot of heat...as he got 1.5 seconds slower over the night.

My ex-girlfriend down here had one of them...and I think my relationship ended with her in part on all my critcisms of her Liberty.
Old 12-01-05, 06:09 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have destroyed these things very easily in the 1/4 mile...seems like their engine bays attract a lot of heat...as he got 1.5 seconds slower over the night.

My ex-girlfriend down here had one of them...and I think my relationship ended with her in part on all my critcisms of her Liberty.
Luckily for me my g/f* wants a 3rd gen celica. Can't argue with that, they are beautiful cars....

*currently estranged.
Old 12-02-05, 07:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a few Mexican friends who imported Celicas (illegally then nationalized through amnesty) and they just love them.
Old 12-02-05, 08:41 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have a few Mexican friends who imported Celicas (illegally then nationalized through amnesty) and they just love them.
umm ok
Old 12-02-05, 01:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Ouch!
Old 12-02-05, 04:15 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
OMGF, I know right?

Haha. I like the lack of glass until you see the plastic windows under a light Constant plastic polishing to keep them transparent.

I had a '94 Safari Edition as my first new vehicle back in the day. The first thing did was get rid of those damn zip windows and replace them with the sliding ones. I loved that thing.