Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?
I park face out
54.79%
I park butt out
23.29%
I have no preference and think AsianGirl should obey parking laws
20.55%
I always valet park
1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
I would really like to know the reason why they made parking face-in against the law. Does it have to do with License plates since many doesen't have'em on the front...I recently got a ticket as well for backing in, yes there were signs everywhere I just wasn't paying attention. Micky the garage secrity gard issued the ticket and I suppose they have every right to enforce their parking laws there were signs so I had to pay seeing I was in direct violation, I mean what is there to fight?
well, for the record, it's against the "law" at that particular shopping mall. the reason behind though that's beyond me, but it's there (liz said it's written everywhere).

i guess the city is running out of money.....

it's funny, i hope they don't have those stopping bump in the back of the spot, coz' if that's the case and i am forced to head in, the butt of my car will stick out so bad, coz' i can't get "over" the bump...
Old 11-30-05, 09:12 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 409 Likes on 284 Posts

I always TRY to park face out when I park at the lot in school. I also try to procure a parking spot that has only a car on one side and a curb or something on the other, that way I can be as far away from dings as possible. But that doesn't always happen.

My school, for lack of a better word, is pretty damn ghetto (I actually saw a cleanly modded 95-96 SC3 yesterday, black with chrome TT wheels and lowered at my school). Not once, but twice, I've been driving through the parking lot looking for a spot. I'd find one, and of course I'm thinking that I am going to back in to the spot. So I throw on my blinker, slow down, drive just past the spot so that I can back in. Before I can put the car in reverse and check my rearview, the punk behind me snags my spot thinking that I just drove past. Apparently they can't see my blinker Now if there is someone behind me, I'm forced to park head in

Last edited by np20412; 11-30-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 10:32 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After years of parking "practice", I can swoop in backwards in a single try and align car snuggly in a parking spot so I can park faster than if I face in. I think I'm just going to pay the ticket and move on, after all there were signs. It is a REAL ticket from City of Glendale, not a rentacop ticket. I just think it's a crap law, right up there with front license plates.
Old 11-30-05, 10:32 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
What is the problem with backing in? I back my car in everywhere. It is just much easier to get out and I am used to it by now
me too, i want to get out quick when its time to go
Old 11-30-05, 11:51 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a dumb rule
Old 11-30-05, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
After years of parking "practice", I can swoop in backwards in a single try and align car snuggly in a parking spot so I can park faster than if I face in. I think I'm just going to pay the ticket and move on, after all there were signs. It is a REAL ticket from City of Glendale, not a rentacop ticket. I just think it's a crap law, right up there with front license plates.
If there were clear signs in the garage and you were ticketed by the City itself, then I agree...it is probably best to just pay it and forget it. And besides.....I don't know how CA operates, but in most states and municipalities, a parking ticket not only does NOT count as points on your driver's license but doesn't even count as insurance points either.......it will not affect your premuims. This is because all the police know is that it is your car...they have no idea who was driving it or who parked it there, but unless the car was stolen the owner is responsible.
So....in a nutshell.....all that parking tickets really do is help fill up the city's treasury.

In most municipalities, however, if you DON'T pay your parking tickets, ( especially if they accumulate ) you may not be able to register your car and get your new plates ( or sticker ) until you pay them all off.
Old 11-30-05, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
same here liz, i actually park way faster and better by backing in now rather than heading in. i can almost always do the back in with one try to almost perfect position. but head in often times i have to do 2 or 3 tries, and yet i have to ask my wife to get out of the car to make sure i get as forward as possible without hitting the damn curb
Old 11-30-05, 06:13 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

When i had my 95 honda civic, I used to always park face out. It didnt always work because I've managed to hit everything from Motorcycles, to cars, polls, and one time Ive tapped some guy. I was always able to bounce before anyone saw me, but i did appologize to the guy (don't hate me I was 16). What im trying to get at, is that after everything i went through with my Civic, I can now park face out perfectly. I guess its true what they say about practicing.
Old 11-30-05, 06:31 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I often back-in park wherever I go. From my experience, people who back-in park tend to be more careful of the condition of their vehicles (i.e. they want equal spacing on both sides, no door dents or dings, scratches, etc.) However, if I go to a bank ATM or somewhere where it'll take a minute or two to do my errand, I'll park face-in.
Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Now if there is someone behind me, I'm forced to park head in
I've gone through that occasionally, I hate that as well
Old 12-01-05, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
I often back-in park wherever I go. From my experience, people who back-in park tend to be more careful of the condition of their vehicles (i.e. they want equal spacing on both sides, no door dents or dings, scratches, etc.) However, if I go to a bank ATM or somewhere where it'll take a minute or two to do my errand, I'll park face-in.

I've gone through that occasionally, I hate that as well

Couldn't have said it better

The hardest part is where you park between 2 minivans/trucks/suvs and can't see a thing when backing out and the idiot just zooms by.
The bad is thing is you're at fault b/c you were the one who hit him because you can't see crap while the idiot who has a clear view sees you backing out has no courtesy or patience to wait and drives forward
There's no more proper driving etiquette anymore
Old 12-01-05, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Couldn't have said it better

The hardest part is where you park between 2 minivans/trucks/suvs and can't see a thing when backing out and the idiot just zooms by.
The bad is thing is you're at fault b/c you were the one who hit him because you can't see crap while the idiot who has a clear view sees you backing out has no courtesy or patience to wait and drives forward
There's no more proper driving etiquette anymore
that's why backing in is so much better, you will be able to see the road much sooner
Old 01-29-06, 07:54 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

I always back into my parking spots......makes it much easier when leaving.
Old 01-29-06, 07:54 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

I always back into the parking space

Last edited by TTEHarrier; 01-29-06 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 09:51 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
When i had my 95 honda civic, I used to always park face out. It didnt always work because I've managed to hit everything from Motorcycles, to cars, polls, and one time Ive tapped some guy. I was always able to bounce before anyone saw me, but i did appologize to the guy (don't hate me I was 16). What im trying to get at, is that after everything i went through with my Civic, I can now park face out perfectly. I guess its true what they say about practicing.

You're fired.
Old 01-30-06, 11:25 AM
Mattress
Pole Position

I usually only park *** out when the suns tells me to do so... If its cold in the morning--that night i would park towards the sunrise to warm the car, in the summer- my *** faces the hot day sun. otherwise i always back it in.

Quick Reply: Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?