Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan develops scratch resistant paint.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 11:19 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool tecnology...

Pete
Old 12-02-05, 02:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
For many years, Lexus paint has been known to be one of the most vulnerable in the market. Even the paint from others like BMW and Mercedes-Benz is more durable than Lexus. It's great to hear that Nissan is developing a great idea to better guard the finish of the car's paint. I highly doubt Lexus will pawn off Nissan's idea, but Lexus better come up with a new solution soon.
actually imho all paint has degraded so bad since late 90s when they all had to switch to water base rather than oil base paint. i do agree bmw and mb they have some of the best paint still, with lexus and infiniti below that. i think lexus paint has a bit too much orange peel is some cases.

but gosh you have to check out the acura paint.... it's horrible.... on my old acura tl-s it was like the paint was asking to come off.... and it's still a problem
Old 12-02-05, 02:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually imho all paint has degraded so bad since late 90s when they all had to switch to water base rather than oil base paint. i do agree bmw and mb they have some of the best paint still, with lexus and infiniti below that. i think lexus paint has a bit too much orange peel is some cases.

but gosh you have to check out the acura paint.... it's horrible.... on my old acura tl-s it was like the paint was asking to come off.... and it's still a problem

I agree with Henry. All the paint has gone down hill since the early mid 90s. The paint on the G2 TL and CL was Acuras worse years. However, I must say the paint on my brother in laws 05 TSX is a lot better than my wifes 04 RX330. On the Lexus there is a lot of orange peel and the paint chips very easy and etches easily. My borther in laws 05 TSX has much smoother paint and so far no chips. My Lexus had chips up front within the first week of purchase. My 92 Acura; however, has rock chips as well, but otherwise the rest of the paint is 10X better. I hope this new tecehnology catches on. I like the idea
Old 12-02-05, 04:15 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are absolutely right, the general trend is downward. There are some consistencies, though. Japanese paint is generally thin, soft, and in a lot of cases seems more prone to OP than German paint. American paint is normally pretty hard, but almost always has a lot of OP. German paint seems the best right now, although it's hardness (in the case of Audi, the paint is almost comically hard) makes it difficult to repair when you do get marring. I work on a lot of Audi's and they're tough, but the paint is so much more durable than most manufacturers it's really incredible. The only paint that seems consistently OP free (or OP lite) and very durable is MB's ceramiclear.
Old 12-02-05, 10:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think you guys, as a group, are being too hard on Lexus here. I agree that in general Audi paint is about the best I've seen, but Lexus paint is also superb.....easily the best , IMO, among Japanese manufacturers. It has a mirror-like smoothness and gloss, virtally no orange peel, and almost perfect consistancy.

Henry......it was the early 1990's, not the late 1990's, when the manufacturers had so many problems with their paint jobs.....1990 and 1991 were generally the worst years. That is because at that time the EPA started requiring different paint processes to lessen the amount of paint fumes escapning upward into the atmosphere, and there were some problems as the compaines adapted to the new process. 1990-1992 saw many vehicles with paint that looked fine on the showroom floor, but faded and peeled off much too early....within just a couple of years. Customers who complained about this often got free re-paints ( righly so ) even after the normal warranties expired.....even though warranties often don't cover paint.
From my memory the manufacturers that had the worst problems with this were Hyundai, of course, who was still building junk back then, Ford, Chrysler, and Mazda. A friend of mine bought a new white 1991 Protege that year.....both me and his son-in-law checked the car out thoroughly for him and it was fine brand-new. Within 2 years the white color was actually coming off the car on your hand in a powdery substance.
Old 12-03-05, 09:52 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus does have some of the best paint for a Japanese automaker - it does *look* good (as in, lots of flake, strong pearl colors, lack of OP, good color choices, etc...) but it isn't durable, that's all I was saying. It's very thin, marrs easily, chips easily. The upside to that is that it is very easy to correct.
Old 12-03-05, 09:59 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus paint certainly looks great but it is too soft (prone to scratches, chips, nicks, etc.).
Old 12-03-05, 10:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My experience with Lexus' paint is that it is fairly thin and somewhat brittle, in that it seems to chip too easily. Now, considering that today's paints and painting operations have to comply with a laundry list of regulations, its quality is pretty remarkable.

I worked for an oilfield equipment manufacturer with its main plant in Socal. Because California had the toughest air-quality standards back then in the early eighties, our products' paint quality suffered terribly. Our products were almost all painted the company color - fire engine red. The older oil-base paints were delivered in a deep, glossy red that despite being primarily a corrosion control measure, was thick and durable.

By 1983 our paint booths had to conform to new CARB standards. New paints were water-based, and the company spent well over $1M on a new electrostatic spray booth. For the next two years, we took a lot of heat from our customers over the quality of the paintwork on our products. The colors went from bright red to a dull coppery-red that was very thin and fragile. The product came out of the paint booth, spent a day to two weeks in final assembly (depending on product), then went on a flatbed truck for shipment, usually to Houston or Lafayette. After 48 to 72 hours on the road, invariably they arrived with rust beginning to work its way through the thin paint.

Customers paying $20K to $80K for a machine were screaming their heads off - and who could blame them? It was an embarrassment - and many products were disassembled and repainted (in warranty) in our regional service centers . . . outside California where we could still use "real" paint!

I feel for the automakers that are still facing these customer problems - although amazing strides have been made in non-polluting paint systems.
Old 12-03-05, 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you guys, as a group, are being too hard on Lexus here. I agree that in general Audi paint is about the best I've seen, but Lexus paint is also superb.....easily the best , IMO, among Japanese manufacturers. It has a mirror-like smoothness and gloss, virtally no orange peel, and almost perfect consistancy.

Henry......it was the early 1990's, not the late 1990's, when the manufacturers had so many problems with their paint jobs.....1990 and 1991 were generally the worst years. That is because at that time the EPA started requiring different paint processes to lessen the amount of paint fumes escapning upward into the atmosphere, and there were some problems as the compaines adapted to the new process. 1990-1992 saw many vehicles with paint that looked fine on the showroom floor, but faded and peeled off much too early....within just a couple of years. Customers who complained about this often got free re-paints ( righly so ) even after the normal warranties expired.....even though warranties often don't cover paint.
From my memory the manufacturers that had the worst problems with this were Hyundai, of course, who was still building junk back then, Ford, Chrysler, and Mazda. A friend of mine bought a new white 1991 Protege that year.....both me and his son-in-law checked the car out thoroughly for him and it was fine brand-new. Within 2 years the white color was actually coming off the car on your hand in a powdery substance.
damn, thanks for the correction marshall, somehow i though it's after 97

anyway. lexus paint are good, but i would never call it superb, yet. seriously, you can find orange peel in it, my is300 and sc430 both got it, same even on the ls430 i have driven. but then again i am "part time" detailer so i could be particularly picky
Old 12-03-05, 11:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
My experience with Lexus' paint is that it is fairly thin and somewhat brittle, in that it seems to chip too easily. Now, considering that today's paints and painting operations have to comply with a laundry list of regulations, its quality is pretty remarkable.

I worked for an oilfield equipment manufacturer with its main plant in Socal. Because California had the toughest air-quality standards back then in the early eighties, our products' paint quality suffered terribly. Our products were almost all painted the company color - fire engine red. The older oil-base paints were delivered in a deep, glossy red that despite being primarily a corrosion control measure, was thick and durable.

By 1983 our paint booths had to conform to new CARB standards. New paints were water-based, and the company spent well over $1M on a new electrostatic spray booth. For the next two years, we took a lot of heat from our customers over the quality of the paintwork on our products. The colors went from bright red to a dull coppery-red that was very thin and fragile. The product came out of the paint booth, spent a day to two weeks in final assembly (depending on product), then went on a flatbed truck for shipment, usually to Houston or Lafayette. After 48 to 72 hours on the road, invariably they arrived with rust beginning to work its way through the thin paint.

Customers paying $20K to $80K for a machine were screaming their heads off - and who could blame them? It was an embarrassment - and many products were disassembled and repainted (in warranty) in our regional service centers . . . outside California where we could still use "real" paint!

I feel for the automakers that are still facing these customer problems - although amazing strides have been made in non-polluting paint systems.
thats good info.

Aditionally, they continiusly update and improve paint they use, application process and thickness of paint. I dont think you can generalize about "lexus paint" because every new model is improved and done better...
Old 12-03-05, 01:47 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

what happens after 3 years??

Can you reapply this resin?

What happens if some knuckle head using some wax with cutting compounds in it?

I'm sure the wax companies are going to have to come up with new waxes just like when they came out with "clear coat safe" labeling.
Old 12-03-05, 03:41 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

This is great, eventually something like this could be for all makes and models, I would guess you still need to wax the car to keep road grime from sticking to it and keep it shinny but other then that a clear coat that heals itself I wonder if this has anything to do with the thing I saw on TV about space age new plastics that are gonna replace sheet metal and have the ability to heal themselves with minor cracks