Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan develops scratch resistant paint.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 10:25 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan develops scratch resistant paint.

Toyota needs to take a look at this for use in their line. Especially for Lexus vehicles, LINK.

TOKYO (Dec. 2, 2005)-- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails.

“Scratch Guard Coat” contains a newly developed high elastic resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting the inner layers of a car’s painted surface. With “Scratch Guard Coat” a car’s scratched surface will return to its original state anywhere from one day to a week, depending on temperature and the depth of the scratch.

The water-repellant paint also has a higher resistance to scratches compared with conventional clear paints. A vehicle painted with “Scratch Guard Coat” will have only one-fifth the abrasions caused by a car-washing machine compared with a car covered with conventional clear paint. Scratches from car-washing machines account for the majority of scratches to painted car surfaces.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

“Scratch Guard Coat” will be applied for the first time on an SUV model that is scheduled for a partial makeover in the near future. The paint will be applied to the car’s chassis, bumpers, door mirrors, among other parts.
Old 12-01-05, 10:30 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I was just going to post this. Here are some pictures.

Scratched

One week later

Looks like I might need a new business.
Old 12-01-05, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah nice.... my elbrow grease are burning out
Old 12-02-05, 12:11 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds good.
Old 12-02-05, 03:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Nissan.......Now I can stop giving away bottles of SCRATCH-OUT.
Old 12-02-05, 04:01 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone should take a look at this. I know I would love to have a car that is scratch resistant, would make my life alot easier.
Old 12-02-05, 04:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I think everyone should take a look at this. I know I would love to have a car that is scratch resistant, would make my life alot easier.
The insurance companies, no doubt, would also. Let's just hope that bored teen-agers don't find other devilish ways to spend their time now that key and nail scratches may be more difficult to do. They may decide to start slashing tires instead.

But...in the meantime, I, for one, as long as the amount was reasonable, would be willing to pay more for my next car if it had paint like this. If it works as advertised it is a great idea. It would negate the need for bras, deflectors, and that expensive plastic-coating for the whole car. The windshield, of course, would still be exposed to nicks, but that is a whole different matter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-05 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-02-05, 05:40 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I think the car would still need a bra up front - I was reading more about this and it won't completely eliminate or fix chips to the metal. I guess that makes sense. You're right though, it will make a lot of peoples lives much easier. Shame it only lastes three years - then again I'm sure that will only increase with time.
Old 12-02-05, 06:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Good news
Old 12-02-05, 08:36 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

tats a good look right there
Old 12-02-05, 08:54 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

im all about that. Sounds interesting. So after 3 years you have to reapply the scratch resistant coating again??
Old 12-02-05, 09:01 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

But...in the meantime, I, for one, as long as the amount was reasonable, would be willing to pay more for my next car if it had paint like this. If it works as advertised it is a great idea. It would negate the need for bras, deflectors, and that expensive plastic-coating for the whole car. The windshield, of course, would still be exposed to nicks, but that is a whole different matter.

I wouldnt mind paying extra either. Just the thought of not having to worry about little scratches and spending tons of time polishing and sealing and waxing the paint would be worth it.
Old 12-02-05, 10:15 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

after 3 years, its just time to buy a new car !!
Old 12-02-05, 10:41 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

For many years, Lexus paint has been known to be one of the most vulnerable in the market. Even the paint from others like BMW and Mercedes-Benz is more durable than Lexus. It's great to hear that Nissan is developing a great idea to better guard the finish of the car's paint. I highly doubt Lexus will pawn off Nissan's idea, but Lexus better come up with a new solution soon.
Old 12-02-05, 10:50 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, Nissan paint is pretty terrible too. As a matter of fact it would be good for all Japanese makers to adopt this or something similar at some point.

As for application after three years, it's too early to tell. If I had to guess I'd say this will be a factory only option for awhile.

Quick Reply: Nissan develops scratch resistant paint.