Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoweek wages the Iforged and HRE wheels debate further

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 06:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
iForged sells their wheels based on price, for the most part. HRE never pursued the Audi/E46 BMW market (and still does not, but they address this market with the 440R series, a slow seller)- their target market was always a`more upscale and affluent customer. The majority of HRE sales throughout the years have been for applications like Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. iForged simply came into the market and offered a similar looking wheel at a more affordable price. between HRE and iforged, there are differences in quality, I can assure you (engineering and testing, mostly)!

HRE will continue to pursue the higher-end portion of the market (see their ads in DuPont Registry, Millionaire Magazine, etc.) and iForged will continue to sell their wheels to a more cost-conscious market (i.e. G35, Audi A4, 3-series BMW crowd). At this point, loyal customers of one brand probably won't buy the other brand. It is what it is.
VERY WELL SAID
Old 12-04-05, 08:47 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The new autoweek magazine has a picture on page 8 of an HRE 545R above an iForged Aero which says "Coincidence?"

Autoweek dares to stir the pot on the Iforged "copy" of HRE's 545R. The website likely won't update for a week so pick up a copy and scan it if you can.

The rim shop I go to always refers to iforged as Iforgery's.. Nonetheless I like both companies for rim's and I do agree that the Iforged are very very very very similar.

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-04-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-04-05, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

iForged sells their wheels based on price, for the most part. HRE never pursued the Audi/E46 BMW market (and still does not, but they address this market with the 440R series, a slow seller)- their target market was always a`more upscale and affluent customer. The majority of HRE sales throughout the years have been for applications like Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. iForged simply came into the market and offered a similar looking wheel at a more affordable price. between HRE and iforged, there are differences in quality, I can assure you (engineering and testing, mostly)!

HRE will continue to pursue the higher-end portion of the market (see their ads in DuPont Registry, Millionaire Magazine, etc.) and iForged will continue to sell their wheels to a more cost-conscious market (i.e. G35, Audi A4, 3-series BMW crowd). At this point, loyal customers of one brand probably won't buy the other brand. It is what it is.
man i couldn't have put it better bob. "it is what it is"
Old 12-05-05, 06:04 AM
Lvangundy

What about that whole "HRE is banned on race tracks" thing that floated around the internet? Something about Dodge Vipers breaking the rim piece and HRE having bad parts?

Old 12-05-05, 10:18 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
What about that whole "HRE is banned on race tracks" thing that floated around the internet? Something about Dodge Vipers breaking the rim piece and HRE having bad parts?
Hre's are becoming notorious for snapping when driven hard.
Old 12-05-05, 10:57 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

that was all hearsay...as i've been on the viper racing league and found nothing to substantiate that
Old 12-05-05, 12:52 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

That being said IForged is now targeting and earning a large part of that same luxury market through associations with select shops. I've seen more high end cars posted on forums lately sporting the iForge brand and this "Grassroots Effort" is probably helping them pick up market share.

I think this clientel is having a hard time justifying the 30-50% increase in price for "quality" when rumors and pictures of broken wheels are being spread across the internet. I spend quite a bit of time on the "exotic" forums and looking from the outside in most look at HRE And Iforged alike.
Old 12-05-05, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
that was all hearsay...as i've been on the viper racing league and found nothing to substantiate that
plus, in that thread i asked bunch of questions about the conditions of the wheels before the race and no one could provide any feedback
Old 12-05-05, 02:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
Then go to bimmerforums and read the HRE stories. A member broke one just recently as a matter of fact. I know nothing about the viper.