Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Skyline to be sold under Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 01:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

A real GT-R is supposed to be about sport rather than luxury, we don't want much luxury items in that car anyway, all I hope is that it will have better build quality than the G35 & 350Z.
Old 12-05-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
A real GT-R is supposed to be about sport rather than luxury, we don't want much luxury items in that car anyway, all I hope is that it will have better build quality than the G35 & 350Z.
right on andrew, if there is a gtr, people want sport ont luxury
Old 12-05-05, 03:07 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, given what Infiniti has done with the M interiors I don't think it's that difficult to imagine the new G or GT-R having nice interiors. I know you guys love to rag on Infiniti interiors, but even I can appreciate the inside of the M.
Old 12-05-05, 04:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I agree. If they do just call it the GT-R I can feel a bit more easy about calling it an Infiniti. Also, people who buy these types of sports cars want real sports cars and not luxury sports cars (Like IS350). We really don't care that it will not have park assist an ML audio system
Old 12-06-05, 01:20 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love for it to come as an Infiniti. IMO, the G looks so much better than it's ugy Nissan counterpart. I like to look of Inifitis so much more.
Old 12-06-05, 08:02 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enigma354
I wonder how many US-made Skylines will be rebadged as Nissans by their owners...
So confused by this. US-made Skylines?

The GT-R is not the Skyline any more. The Skyline is what we know in North America as the G35. Judging by your joke, I'm guessing you know that lots of people already rebadge their G35s as Skylines for some reason. I'm not sure why it's done, but at least the car is roughly equivalent to the Japanese Skyline, so owners who do this are not being overly disingenuous.

I doubt any GT-Rs will be US-made.

Maybe you meant to ask, "I wonder how many US-market GT-Rs will be rebadged as Nissans by their owners (similar to the odd practice of G35 owners rebadging their cars as Skylines)."

Sorry to nitpick, but I'm surprised at how often the Skyline vs. GT-R thing is mixed up.
Old 12-06-05, 08:05 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I'd love for it to come as an Infiniti. IMO, the G looks so much better than it's ugy Nissan counterpart. I like to look of Inifitis so much more.
I guess this is my day to be confused. The G35's Nissan counterpart? You mean the Skyline? What exactly is different, aside from the Skyline being right-hand-drive and having a Nissan logo as opposed to the Infiniti logo?
Old 12-07-05, 05:26 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmds
I guess this is my day to be confused. The G35's Nissan counterpart? You mean the Skyline? What exactly is different, aside from the Skyline being right-hand-drive and having a Nissan logo as opposed to the Infiniti logo?
I think he means the 350z - which, while not exactly a counterpart, is considered in the U.S to be Nissans version of the G35. I'm pretty sure enigma354 knew there wouldn't be any U.S made GT-R's either - he was speculating (as you guessed) how many USDM GT-Rs would be re-badged as "Nissan Skyline GT-Rs", since technically this is just the R35 Skyline GT-R and since it seems strangely popular to re-badge G35's as Nissan Skyline 350GTs (going for that whole JDM thing).
Old 12-07-05, 10:45 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure this GTR will be a hardcore sports car, they're gonna care less about shoving a bunch of electronic gizmos like park-assist in it. What worries me is Lexus. If they make a V10 sports car, i'd hope they'd concentrate on making it handle well (i'm sure they will), but more importantly make it fun to drive. I don't see Lexus being able to win over BMW, Porsche or Ferrari customers with the LF-A if it has the typical Lexus-feel steering to it.