Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Skyline to be sold under Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 07:52 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Skyline to be sold under Infiniti

GT-R Going Upscale: Next-gen Skyline to be sold as Infiniti in U.S., sources say
KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/5/05
LOS ANGELES - The next-generation Skyline GT-R, a high-performance sports car, will be sold as an Infiniti in the United States, say two sources familiar with Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s plans.

The current generation is sold under the Nissan brand in Japan. Company executives have been debating whether to sell it in America as a Nissan or an Infiniti.

The most recent GT-R concept was shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in October. The production model will be shown at the Tokyo show in 2007.

The sources say the vehicle will be either a 2008 or 2009 model with a sticker price of about $65,000. They say Nissan has targeted annual U.S. sales of about 1,500.

The automaker showed only the car's exterior at the Tokyo show and has not said much about the powerplant. But one source says the Skyline GT-R will have all-wheel drive and two turbochargers, and produce more than 400 hp.

"It will be wicked; faster than a bullet," he said.

Asked to comment on the vehicle, Frederique Le Greves, head of public relations for Nissan North America Inc., said, "No decision has been made on whether it will be a Nissan or Infiniti when it comes to the United States."

Some company executives fought to put a Nissan nameplate on the GT-R in the United States because it is known as a Nissan globally. The car appears in many popular racing video games in the United States, such as Sony PlayStation's Gran Turismo.

But a source says in-house studies show that the expected clientele does not want to shop for such a high-end vehicle at a Nissan dealership.

Infiniti dealer John Capps says the Infiniti dealer group has been lobbying for the GT-R. Capps, owner of Plaza Motor Co. in St. Louis, and former chair of the Infiniti dealer council, says "it would be a wonderful halo car."
Old 12-05-05, 08:05 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gonna be an awesome car no matter which badge is on the outside.
Old 12-05-05, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
GT-R Going Upscale: Next-gen Skyline to be sold as Infiniti in U.S., sources say
KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News

But a source says in-house studies show that the expected clientele does not want to shop for such a high-end vehicle at a Nissan dealership.

."
Nonsense. Who do those people think they're kidding? Those who want this car enough will buy it regardless of its badge.
Old 12-05-05, 08:55 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nonsense. Who do those people think they're kidding? Those who want this car enough will buy it regardless of its badge.
Funny, I was going to type almost the exact same response. I absolutely agree - folks who are going to spend $65k on a GT-R (as opposed to buying an M3, Z06, S8 etc...) are going to do it regardless of the badge. Maybe one of those 1,500 will feel a little better with the lil' Infiniti logo, but anyone who knows anything will know exactly what the Nissan GT-R is.

For the record, I don't care if they call it the "Renault Duster", I just want it to hurry up.
Old 12-05-05, 08:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

They're selling Infiniti & Nissan in the same showroom/dealership here anyway . . .
Old 12-05-05, 09:03 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Many people know this car to be a Nissan for its many iterations. However, the people with the pocketbook to shell out the $65,000 aren't young people like me who play all the gran turismo and racing video games. The buyers of a car like this will likely have an income of at least $200,000+ and would probably want an Infiniti badge on this. I also believe Inifiniti needs this car for their line up. They are/trying to be the Japanese BMW. The G35 and M series are doing a VERY good job of doing it. They'd need this car to be a very serious competitor to the M3 and RS4 which are both going to be 400hp+ in their next generation.

PS- the guy quoted in this article.... i'd NEVER buy a car from Plaza Motors in STL. They are overpriced and VERY VERY snotty... they own a Lexus dealer as well and while I've had some good experiences, I've had enough bad ones that I would not recommend them.
Old 12-05-05, 11:25 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder how many US-made Skylines will be rebadged as Nissans by their owners...
Old 12-05-05, 11:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
I wonder how many US-made Skylines will be rebadged as Nissans by their owners...
LOL !!
Old 12-05-05, 11:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Many people know this car to be a Nissan for its many iterations. However, the people with the pocketbook to shell out the $65,000 aren't young people like me who play all the gran turismo and racing video games. The buyers of a car like this will likely have an income of at least $200,000+ and would probably want an Infiniti badge on this.
One thing I would say is probably marketing wise it is a good idea in the long run, but the initial buyers of this car is all of us that used to play GT1 back in the mid 90s who are now in our 30's finially making money and buying BMWs, Mercedes, and cars that we used to dream about when we were younger. These people know the Skyline as Nissan and rather have the Nissan badge. Personally, I wished it stayed as a Nissan. I think it is crazy for people to buy cars for the badge.
Old 12-05-05, 11:49 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma354
I'm sure they'll be some. I see G35's re-badged as 350GT's all the time.
Old 12-05-05, 11:50 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Probably a little more accurate:

January's issue of MOTOR TREND, (which I just received) states the following:

No "Skyline" in it's badging, just "GTR" to be sold by select INFINITI dealerships due to their ability & experience and facilities to service "high-priced vehicles". There will be "no Nissan badging on the car - Only GT-R
Nissan has confirmed that N. America will get the same powertrain as the rest of the world, rumored to be a Twin-Turbo 450-hp, 3.7-liter V-6!
Old 12-05-05, 11:55 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
rumored to be a Twin-Turbo 450-hp, 3.7-liter V-6!
Hm... that gives a little more credence to the rumor that the G35 will get a 3.7L V6 making 330 hp (a new "FZ" engine apparently). But both are still rumors though.
Old 12-05-05, 12:07 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

With the new IS350 being a rocket, it only makes sense for Infiniti to up it with the G35. Hopefully the interior will be a lil higher quality on the next one, but I'm holding my breath.
Old 12-05-05, 12:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

It makes sense to call it Infiniti... It will be easier for the people to explain to themselves and others why they spent 65k. It will also add something for whole Infiniti brand.

But I think they will have a lot more than 1,500 customers per year, as long as they make it somewhat luxurious (high quality materials).
Old 12-05-05, 01:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny how Acura first had the NSX, then Infiniti fights back with the GT-R. Now Lexus is planning to make the LF-A and/or V8 IS. The Japanese are attacking once again!

Personally, I think that Lexus will do the best job in blending both performance and luxury. Acura and Infiniti will also try but fail in the part of luxury.

Quick Reply: Skyline to be sold under Infiniti