Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile Mag announces 2006 Automobile of the Year and All-Stars awards

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 08:22 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Automobile Mag announces 2006 Automobile of the Year and All-Stars awards

Automobile Magazine announces its 2006 Automobile of the Year and All-Stars awards

Editors Select Automobile of the Year, Six All-Stars, and the Man, Design, and Technology of the Year

(ANN ARBOR, MI--December 5, 2005)--AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE, America's leading automotive lifestyle publication, today announced the winners of the 2006 AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars Awards. Each year, the editors of AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE convene to test, evaluate and debate the performance, significance and contributions of the vehicles and executives who have impacted the automotive industry the most. The prestigious list of the deserving winners is featured in the 2006 January issue, available on newsstands December 13, 2005.

"The automotive industry this year has continued to raise the bar with new designs, new vehicles, and simply more surprises," said Jean Jennings, editor-in-chief of AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE. "This year we went back to basics and chose vehicles that were simply the best, no categories to take into account or pricing or even points--the goal this year was to assemble the perfect fleet."

The 2006 AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE top industry honors were awarded to:

* Automobile of the Year: BMW 3-series--The latest version of BMW's superior sport sedan drove off with this year's top award. The 3-series is a testament to BMW's commitment to excellence and to the company's long-term thinking. BMW has produced a car that is the gold standard for its class, something that all other automakers feel they have to measure up to. A car that continues to get better and better with every evolution.
* Design of the Year: Pontiac Solstice--With brilliant Franz von Holzhausen styling, this is one of the rare concept cars that went into production and came out almost exactly the same. It's cool, it's smooth, it's exciting, and thanks to some clever engineering, it's a good drive, too.
* Man of the Year: Wendelin Wiedeking, Chairman, Porsche AG--He has transformed Porsche from a money loser to a winner, diversified Porsche's product line, and most importantly has produced fantastic vehicles.
* Technology of the Year: BMW's Magnesium-Clad 3.0-Liter N52 Engine--Pundits are calling magnesium this century's "wonder metal." BMW's astute material selection achieved a 24% weight reduction for the 3-series, which saved 22 pounds and increased peak output by 30 hp with no mileage loss. This earns BMW's twelfth-generation I-6 engine top honors.

The 2006 AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars are:

* All-Star: BMW M5--Aside from this car being insanely fast, this is the first ultra-exotic vehicle with a sedan body that can be driven every day.
* All-Star: Chevrolet Corvette Z06--One of the best performance cars ever made, the driver gets more speed and sheer energy for their dollar.
* All-Star: Mini Cooper--This modestly priced, front-wheel-drive hatchback with great fuel economy is actually an exotic sports car in disguise and yet can still function as simple transportation.
* All-Star: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution--The ultimate boy racer, it's lightweight, has quick responses, and is dominated by its engine.
* All-Star: Porsche Boxster--This vehicle has been deemed the sports car from heaven, with even more horsepower than last year's - a whopping 276 hp.
* All-Star: Subaru Legacy--This vehicle plays multiple roles--sport sedan, all-weather family car, reasonably economical daily driver--giving itself well-deserved honors as an All-Star.

Criteria and Evaluation
The AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars are chosen by the AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE staff, its worldwide bureau chiefs, and its contributors, following a week-long test drive of the year's most innovative and important new cars. Vehicles eligible to be considered for the Automobile of the Year award combine the following traits:

* Redefines an existing category or creates a new market segment
* Offers excellent value and performance for the money
* Is an exceptional design
* Offers pure driving enjoyment

The award decisions are not made through an instrumented test process. After the 1000-mile road trip, winners are determined by a round-table discussion that results in a vote for the winner.
Old 12-06-05, 09:28 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota/Lexus has alot to learn from this, and they have a long road ahead of them, but I am sure they have soemthing real special, they are just waiting for the right time. As for the rest of the automakers who made it, Congrats!!!
Old 12-06-05, 10:02 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3 series??? Seriously???

... of all the cars that are new for 2006... that's what they picked??

I guess I expect a little more from a car than the old fogies at Automobile.
Old 12-06-05, 10:06 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. How many Beemers you can squeeze in few awards?

I don't get that at all. I have never considered BMW in my life because I drove a lot of them! I didn't like any of them including M5 or 645. They are sporty but just plain in everything else. Somehow you can justify that in 645 because it's a coupe but not in four door saloons.
They just lack on refinement, luxury, built quality and attention to detail way too much. But the worst, absolutely the worst is the 3 series.

I drove three last gens of 3ers and never liked them. Their interior is the worst in class mainly because it didn't change for a decade. Materials used are absolute rubbish (compared to Merc, Lex, Audi), leather still has that specific smell which I can't stand, the color combos and the whole layout of the cabin is so empty and depressing (again compared to competition), not enough luxury amenities, exterior color choices are just disgusting there is no single color offered by BMW other than black, silver and white that I like.. The list can go on and on.

Sure you could upgrade all that through options and individual program but it will cost you a fortune.

3 series is just not enough of the car. Sure it handles like a dream again if you have picked right option (sports package only or M series) but it lacks in everything else.

Sorry just not my cup of tea but still I don't understand what the entire buzz is all about.
Old 12-06-05, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I would agree with the Solstice / Sky being the Design of the Year.... It has stood up very well in tests against the also newly-redesigned Miata this year.

A good case can be made for the C6 Corvette being an All-Star.... It is a car that offers the performance of a number of others that cost almost twice what it does....and a non-metallic body that will not rust, dent, or corrode. Ditto for the Subaru Legacy... it also deserves an All-Star award.....I've described this car many times and really don't need to here again.

The 3-series BMW Automobile of the Year? Nope, sorry guys....time to go back to the drawing board. I did a review on the 2006 325i a few weeks ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=review+325i

This car, granted, like all BMW's, has a superb chassis and steering system, but it is overpriced, has so-so build quality, unreliable electronics, and ( in some versions ) the infamous I-Drive that will drive you nuts.

The others?....I don't really have any strong opinions on either way. I accept AUTOMOBILE's choices as they see it.
Old 12-06-05, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

To those who disagree with these results (seems about everyone so far, LOL)...

If you don't like the 3 series, then you really don't care much about driving beyond getting from A to B. It IS the benchmark small sedan that HAS gotten better with each generation. And the new engine is innovative.

mmarshall, as far as reliability, paint jobs, build quality - they just don't factor into a car of the year award. It's all about the drive, the overall fun as well as usefulness of the vehicle and the 3 series is fun as well as useful.

Solstice is getting raves and just did well in a shoot out with the Miata in AutoWeek.

M5, Z06 - no surprises.

Mini, Evo, Legacy, all fun, strong value, and more useful than an out and out sports car.

Boxster - I guess a Porsche had to be in there somewhere, and the new Boxster is a big step over the older one. I drove a non-S Boxster though and was underwhelmed with the power and handling.
Old 12-07-05, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall, as far as reliability, paint jobs, build quality - they just don't factor into a car of the year award. It's all about the drive, the overall fun as well as usefulness of the vehicle and the 3 series is fun as well as useful.

Yes, bit, I'm aware of that, but MOTOR TREND, for example, has gotten bit (no pun intended ) a number of times when they gave Car of the Year awards to designs that turned out to be very unreliable and gave their owners a lot of problems. That is one of the reasons why that magazine is no longer in the same league today as some of the competing ones like Car and Driver or Road and Track..
Old 12-07-05, 02:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, bit, I'm aware of that, but MOTOR TREND, for example, has gotten bit (no pun intended ) a number of times when they gave Car of the Year awards to designs that turned out to be very unreliable and gave their owners a lot of problems. That is one of the reasons why that magazine is no longer in the same league today as some of the competing ones like Car and Driver or Road and Track..
maybe their definition of car of the year is nothing similar to ours :-).
I would never give out car of the year award to luxury car, thats what I like about european awards...
Old 12-07-05, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
maybe their definition of car of the year is nothing similar to ours :-).
I would never give out car of the year award to luxury car, thats what I like about european awards...
But the 3 series isn't a luxury car IMHO.
Old 12-07-05, 08:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But the 3 series isn't a luxury car IMHO.
+1
Old 12-08-05, 10:18 AM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Wow. How many Beemers you can squeeze in few awards?

I don't get that at all. I have never considered BMW in my life because I drove a lot of them! I didn't like any of them including M5 or 645. They are sporty but just plain in everything else. Somehow you can justify that in 645 because it's a coupe but not in four door saloons.
They just lack on refinement, luxury, built quality and attention to detail way too much. But the worst, absolutely the worst is the 3 series.

I drove three last gens of 3ers and never liked them. Their interior is the worst in class mainly because it didn't change for a decade. Materials used are absolute rubbish (compared to Merc, Lex, Audi), leather still has that specific smell which I can't stand, the color combos and the whole layout of the cabin is so empty and depressing (again compared to competition), not enough luxury amenities, exterior color choices are just disgusting there is no single color offered by BMW other than black, silver and white that I like.. The list can go on and on.

Sure you could upgrade all that through options and individual program but it will cost you a fortune.

3 series is just not enough of the car. Sure it handles like a dream again if you have picked right option (sports package only or M series) but it lacks in everything else.

Sorry just not my cup of tea but still I don't understand what the entire buzz is all about.
such a hater.

BMW's plastic inside is made of recycle material, same as both Merc and Audi. To say that BMW's interior material is rubbish compare to other two german maker is ridiculous because all three has identical plastic material inside.

3 seris lacks refinement and build quality? Majority of BMW's problem has to do with software. The build quality is quiet excellent. Lexus has great build quality as well. However, at taste of lexus event in alameda the IS350 i drove already has a rattle.

3 series handles much better than IS. Better responsive brakes and steering response. Overall just a better designed car. The E90 is still the best car in its class.