Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beware of Infiniti M.... Dead engine at 600 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 11:18 PM
Insomnia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beware of Infiniti M.... Dead engine at 600 miles!

Read for yourself !

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 12-11-05, 01:22 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the heads up that sucks for that guy tho, only 600 miles o... and wrong forum by the way... we have a car chat forum for this. im sure it will get moved shortly
Old 12-11-05, 01:42 AM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably an isolated incidence. If this is common, the problem would have been publicized.
Old 12-11-05, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Well it's probably an isolated case, there had been a somewhat similar case with a new M months ago too, but it's certainly uncommon, it's unfortunate & a bummer when you get a brand new car with something like that happened though.
Old 12-11-05, 08:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Well it's probably an isolated case, there had been a somewhat similar case with a new M months ago too, but it's certainly uncommon, it's unfortunate & a bummer when you get a brand new car with something like that happened though.
and another reason infiniti has low customer retention :-)
Old 12-11-05, 08:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
and another reason infiniti has low customer retention :-)
This is a new model, still too early to say . . . For my money, I'd still take the M over a 5.
Old 12-11-05, 08:25 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I forgot I was on a Lexus board. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if all the M's start blowing up.

Last edited by picus; 12-11-05 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-11-05, 08:43 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

That really sucks.... With a price tag on the M and many other luxury cars you hope nothing like this happens.... I think infiniti should replace the whole car completely... The car will never be the same if they fix it.... This is pretty bad for infinti... if infiniti stands behind there name with confidence then the guy should get a new M or at least his money back to go buy a new GS

I say go with the new GS all the way
Old 12-11-05, 11:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Sorry, I forgot I was on a Lexus board. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if all the M's start blowing up.
i dont think anyone suggested all M's will blow up, in fact, I am sure of it. But yes, engine blowing up in smokes after 600 miles is something I have not experienced with Toyota... Then again, I only have 4 year history with them :-).
Old 12-11-05, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Since the engine failed at only 600 miles, I wonder if the owner of that M gave the car a thorough inspection...especially underhood......before he bought it. That might ( ? ) have picked up signs of an oil leak or other engine problem ( if it was visible, of course ). Dealership new-car preparation people are SUPPOSED to go down a long checklist on a new car delivery. Sometimes they do it right. Sometimes they don't.....especially on tire pressure. That is why I always inspect a car myself...I have learned not to trust dealership people, and this is one reason why I go shopping with other people..to help catch potential problems on THEIR new cars too. I will not even test-drive and review a car for CL at the dealership without a basic check of engine fluids underhood to ensure we won't be walking back with a siezed engine.

This was also a engine still in the break-in period.....when 4000 RPM is not supposed to be exceeded and full-throttle starts are also discouraged. Some manufacturers also say not to exceed 60-65 MPH....and he was doing 85 or 90. Of course we don't know the RPM because we don't know what gear he was in when it happened.

Of course.....it is possible that this specific problem was not detectable at delivery time either. It may not have manifested itself until some time later.
Old 12-11-05, 02:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is too early to call. Probaly and isolated case but it could also be user error. Who knows until they break that engine down and diagnose it. Remember when the Celica's engines keept blowing? People thought it was a bad engine as first but didn't it turn out to be user error with people shifting into 2nd gear by mistake when they wanted 4th? In my opnion a design flaw will not show up within 600 miles. This is more likey a faulty component somewhere that lead to catastrophic damage. At the moment I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 12-11-05, 04:53 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Insomnia

Wow, BEWARE, I had a Lexus blow out a tire on me! Dont buy one!

LOL. Come on man, first V8 I have seen that had a engine problem like that since Nissan made a V8.
Old 12-11-05, 05:59 PM
LexFather

1. The guy posted a link, his thread title is accurate. The engine blew at 600 miles.
2. No one said all the engines are bad, so no one should be defending it.
3. It happened, period. If you read, the guy is getting a brand new engine but is in talks to try to get a new car.

G35TX, you can't compare a tiring blowing on a Lexus to this incident. Lexus doesn't make the tire, they buy them and put them on the car. Nissan made this engine and it failed.

Surely, its just an odd occurance. This is the same engine sold in the Q45 since 2002 and there have been NO reliability issues with this engine at all.

picus, the guy posted a link. He didn't bash anything. Don't get so defensive.

This is nothing compared to the M3 engine failures, which are well documented and acknowledged by BMW.

Surely this is an isolated case.

Old 12-11-05, 06:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. The guy posted a link, his thread title is accurate. The engine blew at 600 miles.
2. No one said all the engines are bad, so no one should be defending it.

I think we all agree and accept that his engine did indeed blow and 600 miles, but the title of the topic says "Beware of Infiniti M....Dead engine at 600 miles". Now if the "Beware if Infiniti M" doesn't imply that we ought to be afraid of the M engines because they might be blowing at 600 miles I don't really know what else it could imply. If it simply said "Poor M guys engine blew at 600 miles and gave the story that would be different. This post was obviously meant to poke fun of the Infinti M engine and imply that it is not reliable. If that wasn't the case than change the title and take out the "Beware of Infinti M" part of it.
Old 12-11-05, 06:22 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Hopefully for NIssan this is an isolated incident.... that kind of stuff happens, even to Lexus I'm sure. Is this a motor with a newer design? Or perhaps did they start manufacturing it in a new facility? Sad to see this happen, as much Infiniti bashing as I see here sometimes, the redesigned M is still a wonderful car with a lot of merit.

Quick Reply: Beware of Infiniti M.... Dead engine at 600 miles!