Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me buy a new car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 05:02 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me buy a new car...

I am currently in the market for a car for my fiance. She currently drives a 96 civic, and let me tell you, it is a lemmon.

I am trying to find a used certified car or new car for around 20 or a used SUV for around 27. I am leaning towards a car around 20 right now.

As of last night, the RSX Type-S jumped to the top of the list (Yes, I know its over the price I want to spend, but its a new car). I have been looking for a used RSX Type-S but have been unsuccessful.

I have also looked cars made by acura, honda, toyota, VW, and Lexus. And as far as SUV's are concerned, I have looked at lexus, toyota, nissan, infiniti, acura and honda. If I go with an SUV, I am leaning toward a 4Runner or RX300.

If I buy used, I want the vehicle to be certified and prefer a bumper to bumper warranty, not just a power train warranty.

What vehicles would you recommed?
Old 12-13-05, 05:23 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really surprised about that Civic.... most aren't like that. My friend's g/f has a 95 Civic EX with 200k on it... at this point things are starting to wear out but whaddya expect - it's got 200k miles! Of course I don't know your particular situation.

Sounds like a pretty broad range of cars you're considering. Just keep in mind a car like an Acura and Lexus are (most likely) going to require more expensive maintenance.

The 4-Runner and RX300 couldn't be more different. The 4-Runner is based on a truck platform and rides like a truck (duh) whereas the RX300 was based on a car platform and is much more comfortable. If your needs are towing and off roading, your choice is clear... but if she just wants a nice ride, decent mileage and wants to sit up high, an RX300 or Highlander would be perfect. I got my wife a used 02 Highlander V6 and we love it - gets right around 20mpg city.

Good luck on the search!
Old 12-13-05, 06:09 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

I agree that the 4Runner and RX are very different, however, if I bought a 4Runner, I would drive it, and if I bought an RX, my fiance would drive it. If worse comes to worse, she will go from a 96 civic to a 98 GS in great shape.

As far as her civic is concerned, she bought it used and did not get it checked out. It was poorly maintained and left outside (rust everywhere). Everytime she turns around, it is having another problem. In the past two months, it has needed a new exhaust manifold, new exhaust, new altenator, and new battery. To make matters worse, it is now stalling when the foot is not on the gas. It has been checked out and they say it is not the altenator. I hope there is a cable that has become loose. I will check that latter this week.

Anyhow, if I buy a new car like the Acura RSX, I think I am going to add on the 100k 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. The cost of general maintenance is of no concern, and the loaner car is a plus.
Old 12-13-05, 06:11 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I got my wife a used 02 Highlander V6 and we love it - gets right around 20mpg city.

Good luck on the search!
I'll have to look into highlanders. Thanks. Honestly, I have not seen one on any of the dealerships used car lots, so they didn't cross my mind. Thanks
Old 12-13-05, 06:53 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If gas mileage is not of a big concern to you I would look at the Infiniti QX4 or Nissan Pathfinder. I recently picked up a '02 Pathfinder and couldn't be more happier. Performs everything well with ease. Also I would look into the RX 300. If you are looking into new have you looked at the new Toyota RAV4 it gets great mileage I believe and it shouldn't cost you more than $27k.
Old 12-13-05, 06:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The rav4 all the way.. I have one and it handles great. My girlfriend loves it to death and says its sooo cute.
Old 12-13-05, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The rav4 all the way.. I have one and it handles great. My girlfriend loves it to death and says its sooo cute.
Keep in mind that the new RAV4 will be substantially different from previous ones....primarily in length and in the new V6 option.
The first vehicle I would recommend for your fiancee is a brand-new Subaru Impreza or Impreza Sportwagon. For 18-19K brand-new you get an all-weather vehicle with a simple, reliable, proven AWD system, space to carry things in back, limited off-road ability, and a 5 / 60 drivetrain warranty and 3 / 36 bumper-to-bumper. I know that southern TX seldom gets snow but the AWD helps a lot in rain, too....and TX does get ice storms. The slightly more expensive Outback Sport ( built on the same platform ) sells for about 21K brand-new, has a little more ground clearance, and will do slightly better off-road....but it rides stiffly. Check before buying.
http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....mmand=overview
http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....5I_SPORT_WAGON

Since maximum warranty coverage for the price is important to you, also check out the Hyundai Tuscon and its brother the Kia Sportage with their standard 10 / 100 drivetrain and 5 / 60 bumper-to-bumper warranties. ( see my review a few months ago on the Tucson and on good inexpensive foul-weather vehicles).
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/tucson/tucson.aspx
http://www.kia.com/index.php
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hyundai+tucson
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hyundai+tuscon

Whipimpin has also checked out the Tuscon

The Tuscon and Sportage are both pretty well-made vehicles today....gone are the days when the Koreans built junk. They offer AWD and limited of-road capability with both the V6 and the 4-manual combo...not with the 4-automatic. They list generally from 17-18K to start and run 20-23K with AWD.
Old 12-13-05, 08:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Keep in mind that the new RAV4 will be substantially different from previous ones....primarily in length and in the new V6 option.
The first vehicle I would recommend for your fiancee is a brand-new Subaru Impreza or Impreza Sportwagon. For 18-19K brand-new you get an all-weather vehicle with a simple, reliable, proven AWD system, space to carry things in back, limited off-road ability, and a 5 / 60 drivetrain warranty and 3 / 36 bumper-to-bumper. I know that southern TX seldom gets snow but the AWD helps a lot in rain, too....and TX does get ice storms. The slightly more expensive Outback Sport ( built on the same platform ) sells for about 21K brand-new, has a little more ground clearance, and will do slightly better off-road....but it rides stiffly. Check before buying.
http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....mmand=overview
http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....5I_SPORT_WAGON

Since maximum warranty coverage for the price is important to you, also check out the Hyundai Tuscon and its brother the Kia Sportage with their standard 10 / 100 drivetrain and 5 / 60 bumper-to-bumper warranties. ( see my review a few months ago on the Tucson and on good inexpensive foul-weather vehicles).
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/tucson/tucson.aspx
http://www.kia.com/index.php
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hyundai+tuscon

Whipimpin has also checked out the Tuscon

The Tuscon and Sportage are both pretty well-made vehicles today....gone are the days when the Koreans built junk. They offer AWD and limited of-road capability with both the V6 and the 4-manual combo...not with the 4-automatic. They list generally from 17-18K to start and run 20-23K with AWD.
Those Kias look ugly. Girls like cute. I think the 05 rav4 is a best bet. Dealers want to get rid of them to make room for the 06. You can probably get the Limited with sunroof and leather (if she likes leather), standard vsc, traction control, abs, am-fm cd, power everything out the door for 20,000 flat.
Old 12-13-05, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK...well, it's generally hard to go wrong with a RAV4. It is, of course, an excellent vehicle. The only reason why I mentioned the Tuscon is that it offers more vehicle and more warranty for less money than the RAV4....warranty seems to be a big issue with you. But, of course, you know your fiancee, and if she just cant live with the Tucson's looks......that, of course, is another matter.
The RAV4 is being redesigned this year with a lot more interior room and larger engine options. You are correct that dealerships will be eager to move 2005's off the lot...so good luck shopping. Just make sure you get one before the 2005's are gone.
Old 12-13-05, 08:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

If you buy the rav4 for, don't buy the Toyota Extra Care package. It is a ripoff. I was suckered into buying that for 5grand. They claim that it covers all maintainence which is bull. All you get from it is free oil changes and tire rotations for 3 years. Those services don't even add up to that.. The car is trouble free, and you get a 3 yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper, 5yr/60000 for powertrain, 8yr/80000 for emissions control systems.
Old 12-13-05, 10:05 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UTGS400
I'll have to look into highlanders. Thanks. Honestly, I have not seen one on any of the dealerships used car lots, so they didn't cross my mind. Thanks
When we got ours - it was either the 4-cylinder models or the loaded Limited models (out of price range). Finally found a V6 2WD version with moonroof (usually only on Limited models at the time) and checked it out....found it at Carmax at their IN location.

We've put about 18k miles on it since we got it and it's been doing great.

I think it's one of those vehicles that people end up keeping - so not a lot of them on the used car lots.
Old 12-13-05, 11:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadMax96
When we got ours - it was either the 4-cylinder models or the loaded Limited models (out of price range). Finally found a V6 2WD version with moonroof (usually only on Limited models at the time) and checked it out....found it at Carmax at their IN location.

We've put about 18k miles on it since we got it and it's been doing great.

I think it's one of those vehicles that people end up keeping - so not a lot of them on the used car lots.
Well the highlander v6 is basically a RX330 minus the sleek body
Old 12-13-05, 12:32 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Well the highlander v6 is basically a RX330 minus the sleek body
Exactly - except cheaper to insure and purchase! I like the look of the RX better, but the squared off back end of the Highlander gives much more cargo room.

They don't look like large vehicles - but they have a ton of backseat room!

One thing I dig about the new RAV4 is that the 3.5L V6 from the Avalon is an option..has like 260 something horsepower....dayum! Saw it on the Motorweek tv show the other week...

Really surprised the Highlander didn't get that engine.
Old 12-13-05, 03:55 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Does anyone know what I should expect to pay to extend the factory warranty on a new vehicle to a 100k bumper to bumper warranty?

The highlander looks like a great car for the price, but I am still leaning towards the RSX-S.
Old 12-13-05, 05:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just sold my 2002 RSX with 35K miles on it for 14K. the car is still under factory warrenty and it is almost perfect. It was a great car and I am going to miss it so much!

Cant go wrong with RSX. I love them to death and so will your girlfriend.

Quick Reply: Help me buy a new car...