Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Salesmen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 08:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
They may be more polite, but they are certainly not more knowledgeable.
liz is right. generalizing all sales like the way you did is pretty bad imho. i have seen sales (lexus or not) where they know more about cars than most of us here, found out that they actually work on their cars themselves. and at the same time i have seen people who are just as ridiculous as those who have never driven a car.

my bottom line i do my own homework and i am not relying on the sales to tell me. that's the smartest thing to do.

and i hate to say this again, but i live in cali, and i know/knew of one super knowledgeable and nice lexus salesperson. i am forever grateful to know her
Old 12-14-05, 08:51 PM
pita2go
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know.. during my sales years.. okay i mean it wasn't long.. but 3 years is pretty good.. and it's a job where it required me to DEAL.. and whenever a person came in and was an ahole and asked for things that weren't even capable.. i would be more stern with them.. i would not budge.. I heard a saying that said, "A person can never spit on a smiling face" so.. be nice.. play nice and you will get nice numbers
Old 12-14-05, 10:16 PM
ACS_Ken
Driver School Candidate

"We as a dealership are going to sell what we can get for a car."

There is nothing wrong with that, its about supply/demand, I dont fault the dealerships for wanting to maximize profits, its a business. Salespeople are there to sell you a car at the highest possible price while I am there to purchase a car at the lowest price. They are definitely not looking out for your best interests, and thats the way it should be. Walk onto the lot, any saleperson will tell you "Car is selling at MSRP", despite sites such as carsdirect.com showing the car can be purchased at -2500 MSRP. As a consumer, I should know this well beforehand. If I dont , its my fault if I overpay.

As for the arrogant ***** comment, yes there are some salespeople like that out there. But thats fine with me, competition is what ultimately drives prices down, and there is always another dealer accross town that is waiting to make a sale. Like it or not consumers are the driving force behind demand and they have the right to be " arrogant ******" - they are the ones shelling out the money to buy the car.

The smart salesman who consistently make sales realizes this, that its a numbers game and doesnt get bent out of shape over a deal. Sone, unfortunately (and this applies to consuemrs as well) dont.
Old 12-14-05, 10:35 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by rominl
but i live in cali, and i know/knew of one super knowledgeable and nice lexus salesperson. i am forever grateful to know her
Haha, you can say it as many times as you wish! *blushing*
Old 12-15-05, 12:13 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I've dealt with a lot of dealerships in the past few years... there are definately some that fall under the category of those that are just pathetic and I will never shop at. My buddy was looking for a car a few weeks ago. We go see my friendly salesman at the Lexus dealership (who I throw a lot of business when I can, and he helps me out with whatever I need) and get greated by a bunch of guys in suits, sales manager comes over and introduces himself, shakes my hand, and thanks me for my continued business. They then tell us to sit down while their salesmen go pul up some cars that may interest us. (He sends some of the guys out and they come back with three cars)

Not bad seeing I bought one of their cheapest Lexus cars.

So... we go down the street to a VW dealership. We get greated by a big ghetto looking dude wearing Sean John and Rocawear... they use some very unprofessional language (not that I don't, but there are times for everything), and we ended up watching two salesmen get into a fight over whos customers we were.

That experience just made me appreciate my Lexus dealer
Old 12-15-05, 01:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by holaback
Why can't buying a car be simple. I want this car w/ so and so stuff on it.

I will pay this amount no more and no less. Take it or leave it.

End of story. Whats with this negotiating thing.
you want to pass less, they want to earn more. that's what set the price point, and that's where negotiation is.... it's not hard to understand even for me an engineer
Old 12-15-05, 07:17 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by holaback
Why can't buying a car be simple. I want this car w/ so and so stuff on it.

I will pay this amount no more and no less. Take it or leave it.

End of story. Whats with this negotiating thing.

It can be done, usually dealing with the fleet guy or internet sales manager will get you as close to this as possible.

As far as the original post and experience, I prefer the salesman I deal with to be up front and honest like that. At least he didn't keep you there feeding you line after line for hours to find out he wanted MSRP.
Old 12-15-05, 07:23 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Who knows, you may be a nice guy, but based on your post, it's not the salesperson who sounds like the moron. "Stick the IS up your..."??? Yeah, real mature.

And by the way, my Lexus salesperson is great.
Hey cuz - you were not there and don't know all the facts - so i think you should think before you make the remark.

Last edited by ajc; 12-15-05 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 07:33 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

I bought new cars in the past such as the 350Z when it first came out. I did get $$ off MSRP after negotiating but it was a different story with Lexus. These people have a attitude that says "if you want a Lexus you have to pay top $$ for it"

So if you need to make a statement and be the first on your block and pay way too much for your IS then do so but I will have the same car in my driveway 6 months from now and also have $3,000 + in my pocket.

Last edited by ajc; 12-15-05 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
Treat people with respect and you'll get it back. You sound like a pain to deal with. You don't get to control the market at which cars sell.

True.....no arguments there. But you also don't have a market when people start getting up and walking out. It works both ways.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-05 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 07:49 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's just a game. learn how to play it. pissing people off will get you nowhere.
Old 12-15-05, 07:58 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol... demanding a price works at smaller dealerships (non luxury) and after the first year of sale (assuming the car isn't moving as fast as it was).

The IS is moving quite fast (out stock changes weekly) and special ordering you one just means you REALLY want that particular model. From what I've heard, most special orders are going for MSRP (or 1k-1500 below MSRP) but a few get 'hooked up' because they are repeat customers. Did you go in assuming he'd be 'the bad guy' ? If so, then he'd obviously get super defensive.
Old 12-15-05, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajc
I don't want to deal with these moron car salesmen
Well, you want a new car, don't you?

Unless you have an auto consultant, auto buying service, win the car in a contest, or have someone else where you live who is like me.....helping people get their vehicles, do it for you, then I'm afraid you are not going to have much choice. You're going to have to deal with salespeople ( or a sales manager if he / she writes up the deal personally ) eventually, even if it is at another dealership. That is just the way that, in most cases, new cars are sold.
If you don't want to bargain or deal with markups, discounts, or incentives, and just want a quick and easy buying process, then start out with a Saturn or a Scion product. They sell at list price....no haggling.
Old 12-15-05, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimboIS
They may be more polite, but they are certainly not more knowledgeable.
Yes....this is true. While there are some salespeople who DO know their products, unfortunately too many of them don't. The majority of them are simply moneymaking agents for the dealership. Many of us here at CAR CHAT know far more about the actual cars themselves. If you want to find out more about the car you are buying BEFORE you deal with these people, check Consumer Reports, other auto magazines, and road tests....and talk with us here on CAR CHAT. Several of us here actually do reviews.

But...on the other hand, it must also be remembered that car salespeople are not in the buisness just to screw people either. They are human beings that have needs just like anyone else, and they have to make a living, too. They often have mortgages, kids in college, and car payments themselves to meet.....and the world doesn't give them a free living either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-05 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 08:41 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

II really like the IS and I'll wait until spring and see what the market is like then. Usually the demand will slow down and they will be willing to negotiate more, this is not a limited production car.

Quick Reply: Car Salesmen?