Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Salesmen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 10:46 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car Salesmen?

I went to two dealers and told them that I wanted to purchase the 2006 250 IS with no options. They gave me the typical salesman BS. Do you have to be a moron to be a car salesman? I have not met one who wasn't a moron. They said, "Well the standard 250 IS has to be a special order". I said so order it. "Well you have to wait 6 months for that car because they are not building them". I said order the car and I will pay you $750 over invoice. "We are getting full MSRP for the car". I said stick the IS up your A&&%^%^$%S and walked out. I will keep my car.
I don't want to deal with these moron car salesmen
Old 12-14-05, 10:56 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

I really don't see anything wrong with what they told you. They are getting near full msrp for the car, why would they want to use a space and give it to you less than what they can get for it?
Old 12-14-05, 11:01 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

I feel it's crazy if anyone would pay MSRP for a car. Any new car that comes out for the first 6 months ask MSRP, but after that you are able to get a good amount off the MSRP. I just can't see giving the dealers $3K + profit. I'll wait.
Old 12-14-05, 11:19 AM
Cypren
Driver

There's always a price to pay to be the first on the block to own a shiny new toy, and nowhere is that more true than in the luxury car market.
Old 12-14-05, 01:04 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
Treat people with respect and you'll get it back. You sound like a pain to deal with. You don't get to control the market at which cars sell.
Hahaha, my thoughts exactly.
Old 12-14-05, 01:06 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess everyone needs to start somewhere in learning the art of negotiating...
Old 12-14-05, 01:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a simple fact: there is a price for everything, and it just depends if you can afford it (or willing to pay for it).

If you want to buy two bucks for a dollar, it just won't happen.

Good luck. I hope you find a car that will suit your needs and budget.
Old 12-14-05, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc
I feel it's crazy if anyone would pay MSRP for a car. Any new car that comes out for the first 6 months ask MSRP, but after that you are able to get a good amount off the MSRP. I just can't see giving the dealers $3K + profit. I'll wait.
if that's really so crazy to you, don't even ask them then. like others said, if you want the same kind of respect, respect others too.

custom order a car will take up to 3 months to arrive in some case. and yes you will most likely pay msrp. when i almost custom order my sc430 that's what i would have to pay. you pay a premium coz' you want something exclusive and they have to "go out of their way" to get it for you. like it or not that's a fact. buy it or not that's your choice
Old 12-14-05, 01:21 PM
varok
Driver

I've always believed that there's no such thing as non-negotiable. I got my IS 350 about 2 weeks after it was available and got around $2k off MSRP. You just need to talk to the right people and have a lot of patience. It does pay off at the end.
Old 12-14-05, 01:30 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc
I went to two dealers and told them that I wanted to purchase the 2006 250 IS with no options. They gave me the typical salesman BS. Do you have to be a moron to be a car salesman? I have not met one who wasn't a moron. They said, "Well the standard 250 IS has to be a special order". I said so order it. "Well you have to wait 6 months for that car because they are not building them". I said order the car and I will pay you $750 over invoice. "We are getting full MSRP for the car". I said stick the IS up your A&&%^%^$%S and walked out. I will keep my car.
Who knows, you may be a nice guy, but based on your post, it's not the salesperson who sounds like the moron. "Stick the IS up your..."??? Yeah, real mature.

And by the way, my Lexus salesperson is great.
Old 12-14-05, 02:14 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ajc
Right when the IS first came out a guy purchase an IS250 6MT with just 18 inch wheels. He got $1500 off. The price before taxes was $29995..

I'm sure you can do much better now.. Yes that dealer is a moron.. They do build base IS250's.. Ive seen alot of them.

Could be because of your location.
Old 12-14-05, 02:19 PM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

My salesman told me msrp also. All I did was say I'm not willing to pay that right now, but gave him my number for when prices start falling.
Old 12-14-05, 02:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
In my experience of car salesmen, the ones at Lexus are generally far more Professional than everywhere else.
They may be more polite, but they are certainly not more knowledgeable.
Old 12-14-05, 03:12 PM
ACS_Ken
Driver School Candidate

car salesman have to make a living, and unfortunately for you and I its in their best interest to charge us the highest price possible. thats how they make their living.
some guys can be cool, but they wont give u the best price.
I personally dont care if the guy kisses my ***, as long as he give me the best price.

I never believe a word they say about nothing, because they will lie, stretch the truth, say anything to undermine your position.
but I dont hate them for it, thats what they are supposed to do....also i'll stretch the truth too(Dealer XYZ said he will sell me a IS350 with NAV for 400 over invoice!).

In the end, we are the ones that ultimately make the buying decision, so if a salesman wants to be a arrogant ***** and wont deal, screw him go buy somewhere else.
Old 12-14-05, 03:51 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

There's good and bad salespeople at every company in every state. Thinking that saleseople are the scum of the earth is narrow minded judgement. Everyone has good days and bad days, not just in California and New York. Car dealerships are still a business and are allowed to make a profit. True there are some customers who act in a less than desirable way, but that's the nature of the business. After 13 years in the business there's been quite a few people I wanted to slap some sense into (and manners). Both customers and fellow sales associates. LOL. I'm sure there's people you dislike at your job or a boss who is unfair to you. Bottom line is we are all human and anyone who tells someone to "shove the IS" just puts that salesperson in a bad mood, who in turn could take it out on the next guy who walks in. What goes around comes around, in every way possible.

Quick Reply: Car Salesmen?