Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: Hyundai Azera

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK chief..gotcha.
Old 12-16-05, 06:42 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avalon versus Azera

Comparing both cars..this is my summary of comparisons.

The avalon is beautiful in styling, technology, and refinement. The edgy sports sedan look is there with a bold presence of a premium luxury sedan based on its stature and size. It has the technology and safety of a toyota, and off course leading reliability. Although the interior console could have been improved, it is not bland. Interiorwise again, it would have been more appealing to have the center stack blend in with the arm rest console as "one piece" , more fluently. Powerwise, it is there..packing 268 HP with manumatic sportshift. It is definitely upscale. There is naviagtion voice based - radar cruise and smart entry with push button start. All that houses a price of $38K Absolutely fully loaded.

The hyundai azera...bold styling - especially the rear. i love it. very elegant and tastefully done to give it a premium elegant flagship sedan look. The front is not bland but not aggresive either. it could have been improved a lot more with more frontal styling but nonetheless i am netutral on it. The interior is classy, and tastefully done. the center stack could have been a LOT better if it flowed as one piece with the arm rest console..it looks way too old styled and not intriguing. Horsepower is there but technology isnt. Even witht he limited, there is no radar cruise control (i dont think?)..no smart access with push button and no navigation. as equipped withouht these things it lacks and comparing it equally witht he avalon..the avalon rests at about $33,000....(taking out the smart access which is about 1000 dollar option if it was not included with the limited.) the azera is about 4K cheaper.

i have not driven either cars so id otn knwo about that but im sure both will be great.

Virtually both are excellent cars and will give you refinement and luxury at great prices. The azera will defnitely be the careful spender..its virtually equipped the same way a base limited wud be withouht the smart access with b push button and costs 4 K less.

hyundai is in the right direction, i believe...azera shud get them great sales numbers, but i also fear due to technology...their sales will also suffer...what limited avalon buyer who spends 30k+ wudnt get navigation? very few..and after calling a hyundai dealership - the guy himself said they were disapointed to learn no navigation and smart access were offered even as options on the limited...he felt that wud also hurt the new model even though he expects great things.

I think to the buyer willign to spend highest at $30K, the azera is the car. and it gives you a lot. The avalon is 4-5 K more at $34K but gives you smart access for that price including everythign the fully loaded azera will (azera topping right at $30k) the buyer whose really into navigation, will get the avalon and wont look at the azera. To the buyer who wants luxury and afforadbility with the essentials withouht navigation will go towards the azera.

Either way both cars are great. Id love to see azera sales numbers the end of this year to see what its 3 week totals were.
Old 12-16-05, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, GS3.....appreciate your comments. You made some good points.
Old 12-16-05, 09:46 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Comparable Avalon and Azera are less than $1,000 apartt
How do you figure this?

Azera Limited w/ Premium Package (sunroof, premium audio): $28,995
Avalon XL w/ Combo A (vsc, traction control, premium audio): $33,385

Seems more like a $4400 difference to me.

Last edited by jrock65; 12-17-05 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 02:59 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

according to the chicago auto show update....theres a hyundai world introduction premiere as well as other big names with world premierie introduction like toyota, lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc...

but with hyundai i suspect the new lew luxury 07 or 08 equss will be debut here!

im so excited!
Old 12-19-05, 03:07 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

this i just found on the north ameircan auto show 2006 site.. NAIAS 2006 Vehicle Introductions: (as of 11/16/05)

TOTAL INTRODUCTIONS: 26
WORLDWIDE PRODUCTION (12)
WORLDWIDE CONCEPT (8)
NORTH AMERICAN PRODUCTION (2)
NORTH AMERICAN PRODUCTION (4)

WORLDWIDE PRODUCTION (12)
BMW Z4 M Roadster
Cadillac Escalade ESV
Cadillac Escalade EXT
Ford Shelby GT500 convertible
Ford production model
Hyundai Santa Fe
Jaguar XK convertible
Lincoln Aviator
Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
Mercedes-Benz (2)
Nissan Versa

WORLDWIDE CONCEPT (8)
Ford (2)
*******************Hyundai HCD-9***************************** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lincoln
Mazda
Mini Traveller (U.S. version)
Mitsubishi
Volvo

NORTH AMERICAN PRODUCTION (2)
Kia Optima
Volkswagen Passat wagon

NORTH AMERICA CONCEPT (4)
Honda FCX
Mazda RX-8 (hydrogen powered)
Mazda5 hybrid
Subaru B5-TPH

that proves that the new hyundai equss will be released in us production . im so excited wanitng to see the new model!
Old 12-20-05, 04:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for posting this....if you are interested I already have a thread in CAR CHAT on the upcoming major auto shows.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192033
Old 01-24-06, 05:28 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Canadian review:

http://www.thecarmagazine.com/en/inf...tid=54054&pg=1

"Hyundai's chassis engineers certainly did their homework in blending the juxtaposing dynamics of handling and ride comfort. The Azera spoils its occupants with a ride typical of a premium luxury car without tossing handling prowess out with the bath water. No, this isn't a 5-Series Bimmer - not even close. But its fully independent suspension with front and rear stabilizer bars and gas-charged shocks deliver sure-footed, predictable performance in the corners. For pleasurable, real-world driving this delightful setup is near perfect."

"After spending seat time in the Azera, it's easy to see why it eclipsed the other worthy entrants in the 2005 AJAC Car of The Year challenge in the New Family Car Over $35K segment (although with a price range of $34,495 to $37,495, we're talking barely over the $35K threshold). The Azera's a big, comfortable sedan that treats its occupants to a level of opulence, build quality and refinement normally reserved for vehicles much higher up the luxury-car food chain."