Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: Hyundai Azera

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: Hyundai Azera

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/azera/azera.aspx

While not a car that has generated widespread interest at CL, several of you have asked about it, and I received a couple of requests to review it, so with a day off of work today of use-or-lose leave, here you go......my take on Hyundai's biggest, newest, and supposedly best vehicle.
Azeras are just arriving at dealerships as we speak, and I tested one of the first ones in this area. In fact, there were only two at the dealership I was at that were ready to go....the others had not even been PDI'ed yet.
Hyundai is introducing this car for three basic reasons; First, to compete directly with the almost-new Toyota Avalon, which is less than a year old, and the also-new Buick Lucerne ( two cars I have already reviewed and posted here on CL ) , Second, to replace the aging and rather slow-selling XG350 flagship which, while a good car, was never terrifically popular in the American market, and Third, to increase its already rapidly-growing image and sales in the U.S. even more.

OK....so much for the car's history and marketing. What is the car itself like? Does it meet its objectives? Let's get to that..............

Model Reviewed: 2006 Hyundai Azera Limited

Base price: $26,335 ( the lower-priced trim lines start under 25K )
MSRP: $29,995

Drivetrain: FWD 3.8L V6 263 HP, 255 ft.-lbs. of torque. 5-speed automatic with manually controlled Sportshift.

PLUSSES

The best Korean-designed drivetrain yet....head and shoulders above any previous Hyundai / Kia product.

Solid, well-constructed body with solid-fitting and solid-feeling doors.

Well-applied paint.

Slick, solid-feeling, well-designed controls, gauges, and readouts.

Plenty of room for tall people.

Long 10 / 100 Drivetrain and 5 / 60 bumper-to-bumper warranties.

Price lower than similiarly-equipped competitors....for comparable quality.

Good fit-and-finish inside and out.

Good ride-handling compromise.

Low-pressure dealerships in most locations.

Aisan, Korea assembly plant eliminates the question of the new and untested Alabama plant for Sonatas.

MINUSES:

Unknown and questionable resale value...a traditional Hyundai weak point.

Hyundai 5W-20 oil recommendation questionable in hot weather.

Too much road noise for a luxury car.

Overboosted ( for my tastes ) power steering.

Shallow trunk from drop-down rear styling

Rather poor interior color-coordination.

OK.....the first impression of this car that you get when you walk up to it is that Hyundai wasn't kidding when the marketers said it was aimed at the Avalon. This car, looks-wise, is an almost carbon copy of the Avalon Limited, body and interior both. The dash, wood-trim lines, console, leather colors, steering wheel, and many other features inside are very similiar between the two cars, and somewhat different from the Buick Lucerne's. Quality-wise, I would rate the Azera's interior the best of the three. All four doors shut with a solid, rattle-free, precise thud and fit the body like a glove. It has IMO the best dash gauges of the three, best and slickest-feeling controls, and the best-quality wood trim by a big margin. The clear and well-designed gauges have Lexus-style white electroluminescent backlighting and Acura-style red pointers and blue rings. The odometer is below the gauges on a yellowish-orange electronic background with grayish-black digital numbers. The steering wheel ( with good-looking and feeling wood inspite of its polished surface ) has power tilting and telescoping....but it only goes up barely high enough for my tastes even at the full-up position. There is plenty of head and legroom for a tall, broad person like me, and the back seat likewise, while not a limo, also has a reasonable amount of room for adults. The seats, while having the usual slipperiness of leather, are reasonably supportive for a luxury car, and come standard with five-stage front heaters. Also typical of straight-luxury cars, the parking brake is a left-foot operated pedal. The only things about the interior I did not like ( like in the cheaper Sonata, which I have also reviewed ) were, First, the cheap-looking matte-silver paint on the door-handles and rocker-switch locks, and, Second, the tendency to have vast stretches of either plain black or beige-color trim without a whole lot to break it up....a problem also shared with the Avalon, which this car obviously copies. The beige interior has dark-brown color polished wood strips while the black ( charcoal ) interior has light-brown color wood trim. The trunk, due to the sloped trunkline, is not overly generous, and a little on the shallow side....but should carry most basically needed things unless you want to use the car as a moving van.
There is ( as yet ) no Touring model like with the Avalon where you get brushed-metal trim instead of wood, though the console trim is a handsome combination of wood and brushed-metal. Still, I would pick this car over the Avalon, interior-wise.....that was one of the things where the Avalon did not impress me at all.

On the road, the biggest surprise was under the hood. This is, without a doubt, the best and the most well-engineered Korean-designed drivetrain I have ever seen. Though the 3.8L V6's numbers on paper fall a little short of the Avalon's 280 HP and 260 ft.-lbs of torque, punch it at low speeds and the Azera's drivetrain actually, by the seat of my pants, feels more responsive. Perhaps due to the way that the engineers have set up the engine's torque curve and transmission gearing, the V6 gives you a nice shove in the back as the 5-speed automatic instantly, smoothly but firmly shifts down to just the right gear and then just as smoothly and firmly shifts back up again. Not only is this drivetrain smooth and responsive but quiet as well. Engine noise is very low and transmission noise is virtually nil. Hyundai has been promising better drivetrains for some time and with this car has truly delivered. Well-done, Hyundai.....the drivetrain gets five stars....the Avalon's four.

Brakes, while not up to Porsche 911 standards, are smooth, quiet, responsive, and effective. You don't expect Brembos on a car like this, but for all normal driving they are just fine.

The only thing in the drivetrain which concerns me.....and only time will tell on this.....is Hyundai's recommended use of 5W-20 oil, which is quite thin and of low viscosity. While this, of course, helps get oil pressure up quickly on cold starts and prevents cold-temperature engine wear, it also compromises engine protection at high summer temperatures. But.....if the engine wears out prematurely and Hyundai has to start replacing them during that long 10-year drivetrain warranty, of course, that will be on them....not the car's owner. And I'm sure the Hyundai engineers know that this is their best drivetain to date....I guess we'll just have to take their word for it they they won't put in garbage oil to lubricate it.

Unfortunately, this newly-found drivetrain refinement has been accomplished at the expense of some refinement in the chassis and sound insulation. There is, IMO, too much road noise for a luxury car, and wind noise is low but noticible. Bumps in the road can be both heard and felt....though the ride is not what I would call stiff. The general balance of ride and handling is a pretty good one, with responsive but somewhat over-boosted steering for my tastes. However, considering that this is a front-drive luxury car and not meant to be a hard-edged sports car, the ride-handling combo is a pretty good one.

So...the verdict? IMO, Hyundai has produced what in some ways is a better Avalon, for slightly less money, and a MUCH better Buick Lucerne. ( sorry, Mr. Lutz ). Prices have increased slightly over the car it replaces, the XG350, but IMO are well-worth it. The Avalon, however, still has some advantages. It has proven reliability, first-class Camry-based engineering, a more solid history of higher resale values, a quieter ride, and a slightly better paint job. Hyundai's overall reliability and quality levels have increased enormously since the mid-late 1990's, but unlike Hyundai, Toyota's in most cases were never poor to start with. The Lucerne likewise has a quieter ride and a smooth transmission but the interior quality and materials are a joke, and the Lucerne's pushrod V6 is ancient and agricultural compared to the Azera's.

Hyundai clearly here has a car with the potential to have a real winner. Leave the drivetrain alone.....it is just fine as it is, work on the underbody sound insulation and window sealing a little, give the interior a little more wood and contrasting trim to break up the big solid expanses of plain color, give the power steering a little more firmness and road feel .......and a lot of heads in the luxury-car buisness are going to turn....especially for the Azera's 30K and under price. And as the word gets out even more about more about better-built Hyundais, the traditional low resale values should improve too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-05 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 03:06 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet again great write up.
Old 12-14-05, 04:36 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Good write-up.

The Avalon is actually 268 hp and 248 torque. The Azera is 263 hp and 255 torque. The more responsive "seat of the pants" feel when accelerating probably comes from the Azera's torque advantage.

Did you think that the car looked much better in person than in pics? I felt that this is really one of those cars that is so so in pics, but very nice in person.
Old 12-14-05, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Good write-up.

The Avalon is actually 268 hp and 248 torque. The Azera is 263 hp and 255 torque. The more responsive "seat of the pants" feel when accelerating probably comes from the Azera's torque advantage.

Did you think that the car looked much better in person than in pics? I felt that this is really one of those cars that is so so in pics, but very nice in person.
Your figures for the Azera's V6 are correct. The HP and torque figures for the Avalon must reflect a very recent spec change at Toyota....and perhaps a switch to the new system or rating it. The Avalon's figures were 280 and 260 for some time.

Numbers not withstanding, the Azera's drivetrain felt more responsive than the 7 ft.lbs advantage the Azera now has on paper. The engineers who designed this motor and transmission earned their paychecks......a rarity for a Hyundai / Kia product.

As for its looks, I felt that without question the Azera looks.....and feels......better in person than in pictures, but its close relationship to the Avalon inside and out is obvious at first glance, and it needs some additional work done on soundproofing and in the power steering.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-05 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps I should clarify one thing on this review, guys....sorry if I didn't before. I made several references to this car as a " luxury " car. This car, obviously, is not a true luxury car in the sense of, say, a Lexus LS430, Cadillac STS, Lincoln Town Car, or Mercedes S-Class. No comparison. It competes in what would be right on the borderline between large family sedans and " entry-level " luxury cars......cars like the Toyota Avalon, V6 Buick Lucerne, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35, ( though the G35 is also a sports sedan ), Mercury Montego, V6 Chrysler 300, etc......cars that list generally in the $30,000 range. The Azera would be, class-wise, just one step below the Lexus ES330, ( a true entry-level luxury car) which lists in the mid-upper 30's. It has comparable equipment to the ES330 but not quite the interior refinement or quiet ride.
Old 12-15-05, 09:13 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps I should clarify one thing on this review, guys....sorry if I didn't before. I made several references to this car as a " luxury " car. This car, obviously, is not a true luxury car in the sense of, say, a Lexus LS430, Cadillac STS, Lincoln Town Car, or Mercedes S-Class. No comparison. It competes in what would be right on the borderline between large family sedans and " entry-level " luxury cars......cars like the Toyota Avalon, V6 Buick Lucerne, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35, ( though the G35 is also a sports sedan ), Mercury Montego, V6 Chrysler 300, etc......cars that list generally in the $30,000 range. The Azera would be, class-wise, just one step below the Lexus ES330, ( a true entry-level luxury car) which lists in the mid-upper 30's. It has comparable equipment to the ES330 but not quite the interior refinement or quiet ride.

i honestly think that the ES330 is a benchmark that some car companies are trying to achieve to that level of refinement and plushness, when i see one on the road, especially in black, i think thats the most beautiful car, and when it has its cashmere leather w/ navi (fully loaded) no car can really compete with the ES, not the G35, C-class, 3-Series?, TL, toyota avalon limited, buick, azera, even the top of the line 300C, cant go against the ES, especially in idle, the 300 shakes, you can feel and hear the engine vibrating. (I work for chyrsler)

just my two cents, i love the ES to death, trading in the camry for another car later on next year, an 06 IS or 01-02 LS, but if i can get the 05+ ES in black with the ground effects kit, it would be at the top of the list most likely (love the ES) unquie car.
Old 12-15-05, 09:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

hm, it doesnt have equipment levels of Avalon, let alone ES. I sell both Toyota's and Hyundai's in Europe, and they are simply not there yet. Fully loaded Azera is ok equipped car. It is not fully equipped car. No xenons, no nav, no other goodies such as smart entry or dynamic cruise control, etc, etc. For the same price, you can get xenons in Avalon.

But Hyundai is progressing at fast rate and you can see huge improvement in every new model. However, their level of details has not reached Toyota yet - or rather, Toyota has moved ahead at the same time. Lets not mention Lexus at the same time.

From European perspective, Azera looks too old already. Where Sonata and next Santa Fe look pretty nice, Azera looks one generation behind vehicle.

Interior is typical american, but good materials would make it OK, not great (something similar to Sonata, in its own class).

Overall, from outside perspective, it seems like decent conservative car, for American market.

I like Hyundai's moving up in the game, and it will definetly make it easier for us to sell cars in Europe, however biggest concern for all Hyundai dealers is that all of our models are getting steady price increases - Sonata for example costs now about the same as Toyota Avensis, which is slightly smaller but a lot more refined. That would be my concern for Azera as well.

Same applies to all new Toyota's of course, it is not Hyundai's problem only. But as it seems, we are getting great pricing for much improved cars (Yaris, Rav4)
Old 12-15-05, 11:47 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

The new equus boded above the azera will paint a nice picture for hyundai. My concern for the new equus due out in 06 as an 07 model will be that it seems like its a smaller legnth car yet the interior refinement is IMPECCABLE! anyone who has seen the spyshots of the interior know what im talking about. Its set to be a luxury model for hyundai definitel in the realms of competition with the ES..in my opinion anyway.

as afar as the azera, i think the back is very nicely done. love it. The front cud have used a little more of an edge - though its not blatently bad either. im neutral with it. the interior is nice particularly the fhister and shiftgate...the console wud have been a lot better mounted to the armrest console instead of hung up like that like a square...like the IS, GS, new camry, etc.

Overall for about a buying price of 26-27K for a limited model with what it gives despite its Xenons, nav, smart entry, and rdar cruise its not bad for 27K buying price with an MSRP of $30,000.

hynduai is in the right direction....the new luxury equus due out next year will be a smash hit for them...id love to see the exterior on it..the interior spyshot like i said is IMPECCABLE!
Old 12-15-05, 11:53 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

these are the interior spyshots of the interior of the new hyundai equus...which probably will get a new name for the US.
Attached Thumbnails Review: Hyundai Azera-08.hyundai.equus.int2.500.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 11:54 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails Review: Hyundai Azera-08.hyundai.equus.int1.500.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Spwolf.. I see you are in Europe..I was talking about the U.S. spec versions. Some manufacturers sell stripped models in Euro-spec versions and loaded versions here......Mercedes, especially, is famous for that.
I'm not taking anything away from the Avalon...especially the U.S.version. It is a great car, outdoing the Azera in chassis refinement and noise isolation, although the interior materials don't impress me as much as the Azera's. Both cars have excellent drivetrains. But the U.S.-spec Azera, even without NAV, does have a lot of equipment....even a powered rear sun shade. It also undercuts the equivalant loaded Avalon Limited in price by a significant amount....and far exceeds it in standard warranty coverage.
I understand your high opinion of the Avalon....and it indeed has some good features. But no matter how you look at it, the new Azera is poised to give it a real run for the money....although neither past Avalons or the XG350, the car the Azera replaces, were really big sellers to start with.
I reviewed the car primarily not for my own interest.....I am a convert to AWD.....but because even though there was not widespread interest in the car on CL several people did ask about it, and a couple of them wanted a review.
Old 12-15-05, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, GS3, for posting the Eqqus pictures. Hyundai management can't seem to decide whether or not to bring this car to the U.S....they have been up and down like a yo-yo. One thing that will help decide is the reception that the public gives the Azera....although, of course, the Azera will probably not be a popular car among CL members.
Old 12-16-05, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Fantastic review. I am just now sure if people can get past the Hyundai badge at this price. If they can, this car can cause lots of problems for the competiton. It has it all!

Was the road noise that bad? Do u think it was the tires or it needs more insulation?

Old 12-16-05, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Fantastic review. I am just now sure if people can get past the Hyundai badge at this price. If they can, this car can cause lots of problems for the competiton. It has it all!

Was the road noise that bad? Do u think it was the tires or it needs more insulation?

The tire tread did not look particularly aggressive, as of course would befit a semi-luxury car. Tires designed for dry-pavement high-performance driving or wet / winter traction usually compromise that ability with high road noise. This did not appear to be the case. I think it just needs a little more work isolating the chassis from road noise......something, of course, that Lexus does superbly.
This could be done in several ways......subframes, double and triple-sealing, Mercedes-style, around the doors and windows, thicker undercoating, Honda-style " noise cancellation " ....not being an engineer myself, there may be other ways I am not aware of. The price on the car as it is now is low enough relative to its competition that, IMO, if these improvements add a little to the MSRP (maybe a few hundred dollars ) it would be worth it. It is a superb car for the price in many other ways. Spwolf feels it doesn't stack up to the Avalon ( and I respect his opinion ) but having driven both American versions of the Azera and Avalon, I don't entirely agree. The Avalon beats it in chassis refinement and road / wind noise but otherwise the two cars are about even or the Azera takes the lead, IMO.
Old 12-16-05, 06:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Spwolf.. I see you are in Europe..I was talking about the U.S. spec versions. Some manufacturers sell stripped models in Euro-spec versions and loaded versions here......Mercedes, especially, is famous for that.
I'm not taking anything away from the Avalon...especially the U.S.version. It is a great car, outdoing the Azera in chassis refinement and noise isolation, although the interior materials don't impress me as much as the Azera's. Both cars have excellent drivetrains. But the U.S.-spec Azera, even without NAV, does have a lot of equipment....even a powered rear sun shade. It also undercuts the equivalant loaded Avalon Limited in price by a significant amount....and far exceeds it in standard warranty coverage.
I understand your high opinion of the Avalon....and it indeed has some good features. But no matter how you look at it, the new Azera is poised to give it a real run for the money....although neither past Avalons or the XG350, the car the Azera replaces, were really big sellers to start with.
I reviewed the car primarily not for my own interest.....I am a convert to AWD.....but because even though there was not widespread interest in the car on CL several people did ask about it, and a couple of them wanted a review.
hey, dont get me wrong. Liked your review. Just saying it as it is from my perspective, we europeans are a bit more critical about stuff that really doesnt matter :-). We also get a lot of options in much smaller cars, so most of the options azera has, we have on Corolla's as well. Thats why I think Hyundai missed an mark here a bit, by not offering thing that certain buyers will take for granted. I am in good position to evaluate what both companies are doing, and I think that in general, Toyota acts a lot more like it needs to catch up others, than Hyundai does. What it means to the customer is attention to little details. Luxury car should have xenons, it was Toyota's fault before as well, now little Yaris has them. Why not learn from competition Hyundai? Nav?

Comparable Avalon and Azera are less than $1,000 apart, which is why I think Hyundai is a bit too over confident. Yes, they will discount it almost right away like they did with Sonata, but thats not what it should have happened.

I said it before, and I will say it again - its huge leap for Hyundai. Comparing it to accent that sits in my showroom and I cant move despite the discounts, its space technology :-). But at the same time, it is not an great deal anymore. Or maybe it is, since it is a lot better car now.

So dont get me wrong, just putting a bit of eastern european perspective into it.

Quick Reply: Review: Hyundai Azera