Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 01:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Here's the other thing. Many of us are the 2nd owners of our GS's (including me). My 99 had an MSRP of about $55k when new. I paid $16,600 for it 6 months ago. Chances are that many of us paid much, much less for our cars than the pissed-off guy in the lane next to you driving a 3-year-old Ford Taurus, Pontiac Grand Prix, Dodge Intrepid, etc.
Yeah, make some of us who paid MSRP in 97 feel bad.

Old 12-15-05, 01:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Yeah, make some of us who paid MSRP in 97 feel bad.

I've noticed on the car's I have purchased new there is a very special bond that is not there with a used auto. ........the bond that goes beyond the 5 years of whining at the bank
Old 12-15-05, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
ANYONE in a '76 mercury is going to give you the finger no matter what you drive. .
Well, drive through isolated and backward places in states like West Virginia or Arkansas, and that is what you are likely to run into........drivers with rusting 30-year old cars, some of them up on blocks.
Old 12-15-05, 03:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
... So I'm thinking to myself dude i make 20 bucks an hour how can i have money....... That ain't **** these days either
...Tony
Damn, $20 an hour! I'd kill to make $15 right now.
I make $9.90 an hour right now.
Yes, you do have money.

Old 12-15-05, 03:47 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's the other thing. Many of us are the 2nd owners of our GS's (including me). My 99 had an MSRP of about $55k when new. I paid $16,600 for it 6 months ago. Chances are that many of us paid much, much less for our cars than the pissed-off guy in the lane next to you driving a 3-year-old Ford Taurus, Pontiac Grand Prix, Dodge Intrepid, etc.
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to make the original GS owners feel badly that they paid more than us second owners. My point was that when that person pulls up next to you in their $20,000+ late model American-made car, there's a pretty good chance that we actually paid less for our GS than they paid for their car, so they have no right to be judgmental.
Old 12-15-05, 03:48 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Bill -- I never noticed your sig. That's quite a list you've got there. Of all the cars listed, which was the fastest off the line? I gotta believe it was the Cobra, right?
Actually, the absolute fastest for just sheer straight line power was the 427 Fairlane. It was in the top 1% of muscle cars in the late 60's, early 70's. With 3.23 gears, 165 MPH was no problem. I ran it with 5.13's for a while, never got it to properly hook, it would run low 12's at over 117 MPH in the quarter. I found out that Ford only ever made 7 that particular model. Ancent history now, the car was totalled in 1976,
Old 12-15-05, 04:14 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'm a Realtor. sometimes I feel like people don't list with me because I drive a nice Lexus so they think I don't need the money. maybe I should get a ford taurus.
what do you guys think? would you rather see your Realtor show up in a nice Lexus or a minivan?
Chuck:
Unless your dealing with high end clients, I don't think it matters if you show up in a Lexus, Mini van or some other late model car. As long as the vehical is clean and has ample room to seat your clients, your fine. However, just don't show up in a pontiac aztek...that might scare them off
btw, my daughter is a realtor in norcal and she's doing just fine using her 2004 camry
Old 12-15-05, 04:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Unless your dealing with high end clients, I don't think it matters if you show up in a Lexus, Mini van or some other late model car. As long as the vehical is clean and has ample room to seat your clients, your fine.
I read somewhere that the number one vehicle for Realtors is the RX; big and comfy enough for long rides and it pleases alot of clients. Better to have a reliable SUV than a compact sedan or coupe.

My friend who's a realtor has a 2001 RX330 with Nav. It helps her find the houses she's selling, and after four years, she has near 150k miles on it!
Old 12-15-05, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Billh2
Actually, the absolute fastest for just sheer straight line power was the 427 Fairlane. It was in the top 1% of muscle cars in the late 60's, early 70's. With 3.23 gears, 165 MPH was no problem. I ran it with 5.13's for a while, never got it to properly hook, it would run low 12's at over 117 MPH in the quarter. I found out that Ford only ever made 7 that particular model. Ancent history now, the car was totalled in 1976,
Interesting. Like you, I grew up with 60's and early 70's muscle cars. I don't remember a 427 Fairlane. I do remember the 427 ( and the 427 wedge) in a number of other Fords. However, I'll take your word for it.....as you say, it was very rare, with only 7 made. My first reaction was I'd have to actually see it beat the 427 AC Cobra, though to believe it....but again, if you actually saw it, I'll take your word for it. The 427 Cobra was a wicked machine....it would handily dust off triple-deuce 427 Corvettes and even some dual-quad 426 Hemis like powder. It had a reputation as the king of the drag strip.......I was not aware of any other stock production cars in the 1960's that could outrun it from 0-60 or in the quarter.
The Fairlane, BTW, was replaced by the Torino in 1968...an even better-looking car.

But....since this thread is about driving a Lexus, let me just say that, quality-wise, most of those 60's cars compared to today's Lexus products were junk. GM had some nice bodywork and interior detail, Chrysler had a few durable engines and automatic transmissions, and Ford had some good brakes and paint quality, but that was about it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 04:19 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to make the original GS owners feel badly that they paid more than us second owners. My point was that when that person pulls up next to you in their $20,000+ late model American-made car, there's a pretty good chance that we actually paid less for our GS than they paid for their car, so they have no right to be judgmental.
I have a firend who has a new Mustang. He was giving me a bad time about my Lexus - "Gee, I wish I COULD AFFORD to drive a Lexus!" He didn't know what to say when I offered to trade him straight across. He paid about 10K more for his Mustang than I did for my GS. (I would have sold the Mustang and bought another Lexus)
Old 12-15-05, 04:30 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting. Like you, I grew up with 60's and early 70's muscle cars. I don't remember a 427 Fairlane. I do remember the 427 ( and the 427 wedge) in a number of other Fords. However, I'll take your word for it.....as you say, it was very rare, with only 7 made. My first reaction was I'd have to actually see it beat the 427 AC Cobra, though to believe it....but again, if you actually saw it, I'll take your word for it. The 427 Cobra was a wicked machine....it would handily dust off triple-deuce 427 Corvettes and even some dual-quad 426 Hemis like powder.
The Fairlane, BTW, was replaced by the Torino in 1968...an even better-looking car.
Oh no, let's not get confused here. The Cobra I had was a 289. Quite fast in it's own right. As fast as the Fairlane was in was NOT in the same class as a 427 Cobra. (Same engine, about HALF of the weight) Ford made 427 Fairlanes in 1966 and 1967. Total production run was a couple of hundred. They did use a de-tuned 427 in 1968 but since the 427 was a hand built race engine it was not practical. What they ended up using was the 428. Entirely different engine,
Old 12-15-05, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Billh2
Oh no, let's not get confused here. The Cobra I had was a 289. Quite fast in it's own right. As fast as the Fairlane was in was NOT in the same class as a 427 Cobra. (Same engine, about HALF of the weight) Ford made 427 Fairlanes in 1966 and 1967. Total production run was a couple of hundred. They did use a de-tuned 427 in 1968 but since the 427 was a hand built race engine it was not practical. What they ended up using was the 428. Entirely different engine,
Thanks.....that clears up a few things. There indeed was a difference between the 289 and 427 AC Cobras.....but as you say the 289 was no slouch either.

The Ford 428, as I remember, came out in the fall of 1968 for 1969-model Mustang Mach 1's, Torino Cobras, and Mercury Cyclones and was nicknamed the Cobra Jet. It was rated at only 335 HP ( probably for insurance reasons ) but actually ran a lot more....especially in the torque department. Interestingly, it did not make the Cougar Eliminator, which, I think, used the 429 Boss engine like the Boss Mustang.
Old 12-15-05, 04:53 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.....that clears up a few things. There indeed was a difference between the 289 and 427 AC Cobras.....but as you say the 289 was no slouch either.

The Ford 428, as I remember, came out in the fall of 1968 for 1969-model Mustang Mach 1's, Torino Cobras, and Mercury Cyclones and was nicknamed the Cobra Jet. It was rated at only 335 HP ( probably for insurance reasons ) but actually ran a lot more....especially in the torque department. Interestingly, it did not make the Cougar Eliminator, which, I think, used the 429 Boss engine like the Boss Mustang.
I don't think Ford ever put the Boss 429 in the Cougar. A little known fact is that when the Boss 429 was released, it was a giant disappointment. We were expecting low 12, high 11 second street car. In fact it was just slightly faster than a non drag pack Cobra Jet Mustang. The reason was Ford produced the car with an extremely small carb and to get it into a Mustang chassis, had to use very restrictive exhaust manifolds. The local dealer had six Boss 429's at one time. They took one (A white '69) and installed a set of headers and a Holley 3BBL carb. Woke it right up. We were told that those modifications made over 100 HP difference!
Old 12-15-05, 05:06 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I find this conversation fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. How did the AC 427 Cobra stack up against the 68 (or was it 67) L88 Vette?
Old 12-15-05, 05:16 PM
LexFather

I can say that as superficial and idiotic it is, my life changed totally when I got my ES when I was 18 years old, my 2nd year of college.

Yes people treat you different when you drive a Lexus. As a BMW or Benz.

Quick Reply: Driving a Lexus