Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 04:47 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a Lexus

Does it seem that you get treated differently driving one of these cars by other drivers? It may be because there are so few Lexuses in this area, but I have noticed different attitudes when driving my car as opposed to my wife's Taurus. I have thought about this for a long time and can almost predict what other people do depending on which car I am driving. Anyone had the same experience?
Old 12-14-05, 04:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the general idea of people who own lexus are people who's mature, richer, and well off in life. You get more respect. Status symbol I guess.
Old 12-14-05, 05:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt the same... I drove my friend's accord the other day the way I drive my lexus... I get horned, fingered... alll kind of ^%#$%#!!
Old 12-14-05, 06:01 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Bill -- I never noticed your sig. That's quite a list you've got there. Of all the cars listed, which was the fastest off the line? I gotta believe it was the Cobra, right?
Old 12-14-05, 07:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think people that see us driving these cars think we are rich or have money.. Fo example my old neighbor always brings up money when i go to the grocery store because he works there.. He always makes comments about wanting to borrow money but says it in a jokingly fashion ... So I'm thinking to myself dude i make 20 bucks an hour how can i have money....... That ain't **** these days either

I think lexus alone is a status symbol in its self I mean we are driving great looking cars and when we mod them they look even better...So people in general will gualk and make comments etc.. So i think that happens wherever you go anyway... Its just peoples persona towards something they don't have...

Tony
Old 12-14-05, 08:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a Realtor. sometimes I feel like people don't list with me because I drive a nice Lexus so they think I don't need the money. maybe I should get a ford taurus.
what do you guys think? would you rather see your Realtor show up in a nice Lexus or a minivan?
Old 12-14-05, 08:42 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
would you rather see your Realtor show up in a nice Lexus or a minivan?
It really depends on the person.

Personally A minivan would be ideal, spacious, safe etc. But some people won't be seen in one!
Old 12-14-05, 09:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drive a Lexus up to the fast food outlet...and you get 'I like your car' or 'nice car' often...

...occasionally perhaps a snotty driver with a beat-up car may drive funny around you...and BMWs like to pass you (although that might be my imagination).

Best of all is to be around lots of Lexus'...I also remember a guy in a shiny new 3GS who rocketed by our Lexus.
Old 12-14-05, 10:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do have to admit, driving a Lexus does bring about a sense of style, not so much status symbol.

Generally, people who drive Lexus value comfort and reliability more than performance and status symbol, which reflects the personalities of people that I know who drive them.

We drive around in our Lexus knowing that our commute will actually be something we look forward to doing, rather than hating. Lexus drivers do not race with you, and that's a good thing. The 5 Freeway is not a race track, although BMW and Honda Civic owners think otherwise!!! We drive around knowing that we chose the right car that will be safe, reliable, quiet, and accommodating, and damn all those that mock those values. We drive Lexus knowing that although it isn't perfect, we can be far worse. People (I guess) respect that mentality and quietly admire that.

In other words, when one Lexus owner sees another, we sort of say: "Are you Gellin'?" "Yeah, I'm Gellin'..."
Old 12-14-05, 11:06 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
In other words, when one Lexus owner sees another, we sort of say: "Are you Gellin'?" "Yeah, I'm Gellin'..."
Well put!
Old 12-14-05, 11:10 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Treated differently? Nope, not here is So. Cal. Lexus, BMW, MB are a dime a dozen, very common.

But if you see someone rolling in a Bentley Continental GT, heads start turning
Old 12-14-05, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Treated differently? Nope, not here is So. Cal. Lexus, BMW, MB are a dime a dozen, very common.

But if you see someone rolling in a Bentley Continental GT, heads start turning
well, actually, compare if you drive the new GS or driving a sienna van, i am pretty sure you will be treated differently

trust me my friend has confirmed
Old 12-14-05, 11:32 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

I personally don't think the Lexus is much of a status symbol. I still think most people picture an overgrown Toyota. I think people in Benz and BMWs get more respect overall.

I've always had mixed feelings when I roll up to a stop light next to an S500. I know my car is better, and that I make better monetary decisions, but I can't help but want to drive their "status symbol".

Lastly, if you are dealing with poor-to-middle class folks, they WILL be impressed. However, when I deal with upper class folks, they always ask me when I will trade in my Toyota for a "real car". Especially the ones who owned a Benz in the glory days of the 80s.

drink300
Old 12-14-05, 11:52 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

most def bro
Old 12-15-05, 12:02 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I get treated a lot differently for my cars... being 18.

Over the weekend some people I've hung out with several times, but am not too close to, thought I was at least like 7 years older than I am, because of what I drive.

A few days later I met this girl, who saw my car, and heard me refer to MY exhaust falling off. She's like
"wait... is that your car?'
"Yeah."
"It's not your parents?"
"No... it's mine... in fact I have two.
" "WOW where do you work!!"
"hahaha, they're nothing special, I bet you paid more for your Cavileer"

The next day I was with my friend and one of his friends... the kid (friend of my friend) was drunk and acting like he had a ton of money and what not... I know the kid has money, because of some "supplemental income" he gets. So, I agreed, that he had more money in his pocket, when he bet me that he did. Later we were walking out to the car, and I beeped my keyless entry, and he runs over to my hood, dusts the Lexus logo out from under the snow, and was like "Daaamn, Lexus!! Nice!!". Coming from the big baller that was a good feeling lol.

Quick Reply: Driving a Lexus