Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why I'm probably getting a G35...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 11:33 AM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
nothing wrong getting G35.

is the new sedan G35 have the same tranny on the coupe?? i know the Z and G35 coupe has tranny problems so check that out first before you buy it. i have friends that sold their G35 coupe and friend with Z that they have tranny and tire wear problems.

just some heads up
The same tranny is used on the coupe and Z. Nissan/infiniti improved the auto tranny for 2005 and one of major differences is the rev matching downshifts.
Old 12-16-05, 12:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Yes it is new SAE standards vs old SAE standards. IS was rated at 320 HP when it first debuted in Japan and then got retested using the new SAE method before it's NA release, which brought it down to 306 HP.

All in all, even Car and Driver that has put G35 on top of it's list in the past could not deny that IS350 hands down decimates the G35 in any acceleration test ( A 0.7 - 0.8 second difference in quartermile means around 6-7 car lengths. That is comparing auto IS to manual G35. Auto to auto would be a slaughter). Then again, I do not own G35 or IS, but I know IS destroys the G35 in any acceleration test. That is just reality for person who accepts it and this is something that no one can take away from the IS. However, IS does it without making a big fuss and roaring engine noises like the G35 does.

Quality wise and looks wise, all the G35 owners have spoken about it themselves so.....

Originally Posted by TheRupp
That's what i was trying to refer to. What's the IS350's HP with the old SAE measurement method?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-16-05 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 12:52 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The g35 is nice, but the new Is so much better. Look at the design of the new IS. It will stand up to the sand of time more so than the g35. The Lexus has more prestige than Infiniti. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-16-05, 01:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Last week I had two road trips planned for business travel so I rented a 2006 G35 Sedan AWD. The car was brand new when I picked it up from the Enterprise (6 miles on the odometer). I put about 850 miles on the car in four days. I drove it on the highway and in city traffic. I even took my family out one night just to see how much we would like it.

The G35 is just an amazing bargin for $33K incl. destination. You can get the G35 sedan loaded with everything but navi for invoice right now because the car has been out for so long. It's fast, handles great, has a real stability control turn off button, roomy back seat, and engine/exhaust sounds pretty cool.

I was impressed with interior quality and layout. Real aluminum trim around the radio and shifter. Aluminum trim is even used around the steering wheel controls. Seating positon was excellent and the rear seats recline. Road and wind noise were very low. However, just enough road noise was allowed to enter the cabin to remind me I was driving a sports sedan. I don' t want a super quiet sports sedan. MIne as well drive a Buick if I needed complete isolation from the road and wind noise. I also enjoyed being able to drive three adults comfortably to dinner one of the nights.

Thottle response was immediate and power was ample. Excellent mid-range power for real life driving. I hate have to rev the heck out of an engine just to get some power.

The rev matching downshifts of the auto transmission were superb. My favorite part of the G35 was the transmission. In manual mode is shifted quickly and crisply. Infiniti did a nice job on the auto tranny upgrades of 2005.

I don't know what else to say. I like the IS 350, but for the price and extra interior space, it's so hard to pass up the G35.
That is why there is competiton, people can chose what THEY think is better for them. Now, I must say, good luck trying to convince US, the G35 is a better buy than the IS, on a Lexus board.

IMO, the 2 companies are so far apart, its almost apples to oranges.

Reading around other forums, its clear the new IS is with the 3, the picks of the litter right now. With the new G35 coming in spring, we'll see will it elevate or join those 2 cars.

Congrats on your purchase and hope your happy with it.

Old 12-16-05, 01:56 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Just a word of advice, next time don't start a thread praising a competitor in one of the car specific forums. Recipe for getting yelled at. Post here in Car Chat (you may still get yelled at, but less so.)

To me, it's simple. I'd get a G35 over a IS250, and a IS350 over a G35.

The G is in its last year, and it had a good run. The next G should be a blast.
Old 12-16-05, 02:02 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
IS350 hands down decimates the G35 in any acceleration test .
Actually, this is not true. C&D got the IS350 to go faster than the G35 in its comparo. But R&T (Speed) got the G35 to go faster in its comparo.

SPEED (R&T) Comparo:

0-60, 1/4 mile:

G35 6MT: 5.8s, 14.4s
IS350: 6.0s, 14.5s
330i 6MT: 6.2s, 14.9s
Old 12-16-05, 04:26 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrock65
Actually, this is not true. C&D got the IS350 to go faster than the G35 in its comparo. But R&T (Speed) got the G35 to go faster in its comparo.

SPEED (R&T) Comparo:

0-60, 1/4 mile:

G35 6MT: 5.8s, 14.4s
IS350: 6.0s, 14.5s
330i 6MT: 6.2s, 14.9s
And since 05RollaXRS likes to magazine race so much, here is another test:

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...ip/index8.html

2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - 14.1 @ 99.7 mph.
Old 12-16-05, 04:34 PM
4DOORFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrock65
Just a word of advice, next time don't start a thread praising a competitor in one of the car specific forums. Recipe for getting yelled at. Post here in Car Chat (you may still get yelled at, but less so.)

To me, it's simple. I'd get a G35 over a IS250, and a IS350 over a G35.

The G is in its last year, and it had a good run. The next G should be a blast.
Thanks for the advice. I may never recover from this experience. Maybe I will get some therapy.

Actually, I made the mistake of believing that most of the folks in that forum understood and respected the IS 350's competition. I was clearly wrong about that. It's pretty sad that so many of you can't admit the dated G35 is still serious competiton for the brand new IS 350.
Old 12-16-05, 04:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I may never recover from this experience. Maybe I will get some therapy.

Actually, I made the mistake of believing that most of the folks in that forum understood and respected the IS 350's competition. I was clearly wrong about that. It's pretty sad that so many of you can't admit the dated G35 is still serious competiton for the brand new IS 350.
lol, you are funny. I think people are pretty nice. G35 all together is not an car up to the IS350 levels in entry luxury class. It is hard to deny that IS350 is simply faster. It is pretty old, and for that, it is awesome.

But at the same time, its like you going to McDonalds, trying to explain people there that BK's fries are better.
Not that people dont like G35's, a lot of people here had that car. But they are entitled to their opinion, same as you are to yours.

As I said it before, you did it before, I am sure you will do it again before you actually buy the car :-).
Old 12-16-05, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Look bub, your now barking up the wrong tree. You need to let it go. We've had so many threads about Nissan Skylines err Infiniti G35s sometimes, I confuse what site I am on.

So what makes your thread any different or special?

We have discussed in general that yes, the G35 is IS competition, clearly the experts think that or they wouldn't include it in comparisons.

Now you are upset at our forum, because you sing the praises of a car and we should all bow down and agree?

Clearly, your biased about your Skyline, we are biased b/c it is a Lexus forum. To our credit, we have many members here that actually OWN this car and we most would agree, the G35c is a great car (the sedan less so). You FAIL to mention the posts where people make good comments or agreeable comments.

Its tiring with this "selective arguement crap" where fanboys ONLY point to posts where they don't agree with what is said.

FOR EXAMPLE

Thread starts
"I like the Nissan Fuga"
Post 1. Its a nice car
Post 2. I don't like the looks, I like the engine
Post 3. What a great improvement
Post 4. It's just a Nissan.
Post 5. I considered one before I got my Lexus

Then fanboys come with the conclusion, out of ALL those above posts.

"You guys are so biased or Clublexus sucks b/c they don't like the Fuga's looks and its just a Nissan".

TOTALLY not mentioning or acknowleding ANY POSITIVE comment by our members.

You didn't acknowledge anything I said about me congratulating you on your purchase. You just want to quote and argue when YOU WILL LOSE.

Like you LOST this one.

Thread closed.