Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice for my speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 07:32 PM
Righteous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for my speeding ticket?

What would be the best thing to do? Appear in court and not have it on my record. Or should I just pay it and then have 2 options: admit to violation or not admit to it but don't contest the charges. Basicly, does choosing either have an effect on my insurance? Also, how much will the ticket be, I was 77 in a 55.
Old 12-15-05, 07:40 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

I've seen a few traffic ticket advice posts before, so you can search for those. Basically, going to court is almost always the better idea. You have nothing to lose by showing up, and the possibility of getting it thrown out on a technicality
Old 12-15-05, 07:41 PM
Righteous
Driver School Candidate

It says I don't have to have anything on my record if I go to court.
Old 12-15-05, 08:10 PM
Righteous
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so lets say I challenge the ticket in court and the officer IS there. I have nothing to challege, I know I was doing that speed and I have no excuses.
Old 12-15-05, 10:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Was the radar gun calibrated correctly by the officer...this is is the biggest technicality.
Old 12-15-05, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just go to traffic school and learn from it. read: i am not saying not to speed anymore but speed carefully

personally i went to court and plead guilty and the judge lowered my fine by half and allowed me to traffic school. if i challenged it and the cop came, i would have to pay in full
Old 12-16-05, 09:31 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I pled guilty to mine as well. 81 in a 55 (on an 8-lane highway). I took supervision for 3 months and had nothing against my insurance. That was my first and only ticket thus far *knocks on wood*

Edit; I don't think 22 over is going to make a difference in whether or not the gun was calibrated correctly. 5-10, sure. 22? No way.
Old 12-16-05, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
just go to traffic school and learn from it. read: i am not saying not to speed anymore but speed carefully

l
I'm not sure that is the best way to go. He already has one 22-MPH over-the-limit conviction ( 25 MPH over is considered reckless driving, so it's pretty close ) .
If the judge sends him to traffic school and he speeds again and gets caught, even if he was speeding " carefully " as you say, it could go much harder the second time. There WILL be points, possibly a license suspension, and insurance will almost definitely go up...or be dropped.

Best thing IMO from now on is just slow down a little. You don't have to drive EXACTLY at the limit.....most cops, especially State Troopers on the Interstate, don't usually give out tickets in a 55-MPH zone for anything under about 65. Some cops let you get closer to 70....but I wouldn't try it. If you stay in the center or right lane and do a little under 65 you probably will not get any more tickets.
Old 12-16-05, 10:52 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Righteous
What would be the best thing to do? Appear in court and not have it on my record. Or should I just pay it and then have 2 options: admit to violation or not admit to it but don't contest the charges. Basicly, does choosing either have an effect on my insurance? Also, how much will the ticket be, I was 77 in a 55.
Wow, 77 in a 55? That has to be EXPENSIVE. I don’t know how things are in Indiana, but in Seattle there is a law firm that advertises they will get you out of ANY ticket, guaranteed for $300.00. My son got a failure to yield ticket from a Seattle cop who was having a bad day. Bail was around 250.00. He hired that firm, paid his $300.00. They went to court and the ticket was dismissed. His lawyer told him there is always a mistake some ware in the paper work. They find it. Although it cost him more, not having the ticket on his record made it worth it.
Good Luck
Old 12-16-05, 11:07 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billh2
Wow, 77 in a 55? That has to be EXPENSIVE. I don’t know how things are in Indiana, but in Seattle there is a law firm that advertises they will get you out of ANY ticket, guaranteed for $300.00. My son got a failure to yield ticket from a Seattle cop who was having a bad day. Bail was around 250.00. He hired that firm, paid his $300.00. They went to court and the ticket was dismissed. His lawyer told him there is always a mistake some ware in the paper work. They find it. Although it cost him more, not having the ticket on his record made it worth it.
Good Luck
Wow that's expensive as hell... mine was actually only $80. Didn't take my license, either. I think it was because I was very cooperative, cool-headed and probably caught him on a good day.
Old 12-16-05, 11:27 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Wow that's expensive as hell... mine was actually only $80. Didn't take my license, either. I think it was because I was very cooperative, cool-headed and probably caught him on a good day.
Minimum in Washington State is like $109.00. They nail you good. The price for speed exceeding 10 MPH over goes WAY up from there. If you live anywhere but the coastal area, a ticket isn't usually a big deal because insurance companies don't check driving records on a regular basis. If you live in the Seattle area, different story. Lots of accidents, higher rates and more record checks. The $$ spent on the ticket is secondary to what it does to your insurance rates.
Old 12-16-05, 11:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure that is the best way to go. He already has one 22-MPH over-the-limit conviction ( 25 MPH over is considered reckless driving, so it's pretty close ) .
If the judge sends him to traffic school and he speeds again and gets caught, even if he was speeding " carefully " as you say, it could go much harder the second time. There WILL be points, possibly a license suspension, and insurance will almost definitely go up...or be dropped.

Best thing IMO from now on is just slow down a little. You don't have to drive EXACTLY at the limit.....most cops, especially State Troopers on the Interstate, don't usually give out tickets in a 55-MPH zone for anything under about 65. Some cops let you get closer to 70....but I wouldn't try it. If you stay in the center or right lane and do a little under 65 you probably will not get any more tickets.
man, marshall, i have to say, sometimes it's really no fun talking to you @_@
Old 12-16-05, 12:28 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a lawyer. Ask friends first and then maybe internet search for a good local speeding ticket lawyer. Not all are the same but a good one is worth it. MANY years ago got a ticket from the most decorated officer on the Dallas force. He showed up in court. My lawyer said he will approach the bench and if he turns around and looks at me I should leave the courtroom. He did, I did. He told me that even though the cop wrote the ticket correctly it was incorrectly listed on the court docket. Technicality. Dismissed. Get professional help. It is worth it. You may still end up taking defensive driving but the probability of beating the ticket will be well worth the insurance saving and the implications from possible future offenses.
Old 12-16-05, 12:32 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl

personally i went to court and plead guilty and the judge lowered my fine by half and allowed me to traffic school. if i challenged it and the cop came, i would have to pay in full

HENRY, THEY LOWERED BY 50%???!!!!
Darn, I just got my "unsafe left turn & unsafe lane change" for $273 dollars.

I wasn't thinking about going to court because my time=money. Until I read your post....
Old 12-16-05, 12:50 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

22 over...definately take it to court. As others have said, you have nothing to lose. A lawyer could surely help a lot in this situation.

Scott

Quick Reply: Advice for my speeding ticket?