Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

opinions please: 90-93 accord.....would you call it sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 05:30 PM
duckworth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions please: 90-93 accord.....would you call it sporty?

what about sportier than any 95+ maxima or altima?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...435#post431435

just wondering if i'm completely wrong in assuming that gloryaccordy is a bit overzealous in his man love for the 90-93 accord....i have had a few, and have one now, and just sold one that would ran mid 14's on 205 series tires.....had a faster one a year or two ago.......i know these cars inside out, but i'm also realistic...........

a stock 140hp accord isn't sporty on it's best day
Old 12-16-05, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by duckworth

just wondering if i'm completely wrong in assuming that gloryaccordy is a bit overzealous in his man love for the 90-93 accord....i have had a few, and have one now, and just sold one that would ran mid 14's on 205 series tires.....had a faster one a year or two ago.......i know these cars inside out, but i'm also realistic...........

It is sporty in comparison to what other family sedans were offered at the time, Camry, Taurus, etc. The Accord is nimble and more fun to drive than those cars and the big open greenhouse helped that tons (and the usual superb Honda gauges).

However, on the sports car totem pole, a 90-93 Accord is at the bottom with the Camry, Taurus etc. Even the solid axle Maxima is sportier.

Another sporty car from that era was the 150hp I-4 Altima SE. It had the 5 spoke wheels, spoiler, foglamps and side skirts. This car was pretty sporty for nice lil family car.

I find the newer Maxima and Altima to be fast but drive like bloated, pregnant, pigs in comparison. So yes, a 90-93 Accord is sportier than a new Maxima and Altima.

What a lot of people don't understand about "sporty" is lower weight, lower to the ground (that model year Accord is a very low car) helps TONS and makes cars feel and drive sportier than all these cars nowadays that are bigger, heavier with more power but more tech.

Old 12-16-05, 05:45 PM
duckworth
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is sporty in comparison to what other family sedans were offered at the time, Camry, Taurus, etc. The Accord is nimble and more fun to drive than those cars and the big open greenhouse helped that tons (and the usual superb Honda gauges).

However, on the sports car totem pole, a 90-93 Accord is at the bottom with the Camry, Taurus etc. Even the solid axle Maxima is sportier.

Another sporty car from that era was the 150hp I-4 Altima SE. It had the 5 spoke wheels, spoiler, foglamps and side skirts. This car was pretty sporty for nice lil family car.

I find the newer Maxima and Altima to be fast but drive like bloated, pregnant, pigs in comparison. So yes, a 90-93 Accord is sportier than a new Maxima and Altima.

What a lot of people don't understand about "sporty" is lower weight, lower to the ground (that model year Accord is a very low car) helps TONS and makes cars feel and drive sportier than all these cars nowadays that are bigger, heavier with more power but more tech.

a stock cb7 was a high 16 second car........they weighed nearly 3000lbs and the ride height was identical to a 95-99 maxima, which to me makes up for it since it can outhandle the cb7 and it's mushy suspension.........i personally like the styling, but a car with that much oversteer isn't sporty........i've autocrossed stock ones and modified ones, sporty doesn't desribe the handling of a stock cb7 at all.....the definition of sporty doesn't include slow, normal looking, low tech, average handling, etc..........drop it on a d2 setup and give it an h22a swap, yeah, it's sporty then
Old 12-16-05, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Though I would agree with several other posters that this generation of Accord ( 90-93 ) was not particularly sporty, I have an extremely high opinion of it.....more so than more recent generations. It had some of the best workmanship, body and door solidness, and refinement of any series of Accords ever built. The suspension was somewhat on what you would call the " sporty " side, at least a little stiffer and more responsive than the Camry of that time frame, but it clearly was no Mazda Miata.

I remember reviewing and test-driving a new late-model 93 when they were still in production. It had a solid and precise feeling throughout the whole car.....much like the later Lexus IS300 that was to come some 7-8 years later.
Old 12-16-05, 06:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I would agree with several other posters that this generation of Accord ( 90-93 ) was not particularly sporty, I have an extremely high opinion of it.....more so than more recent generations. It had some of the best workmanship, body and door solidness, and refinement of any series of Accords ever built. The suspension was somewhat on what you would call the " sporty " side, at least a little stiffer and more responsive than the Camry of that time frame, but it clearly was no Mazda Miata.

I remember reviewing and test-driving a new late-model 93 when they were still in production. It had a solid and precise feeling throughout the whole car.....much like the later Lexus IS300 that was to come some 7-8 years later.
I agree, that should be considered on of the top cars of all time, b/c even with just a I-4, it ws perfect in so many ways, a perfect jack of all trades.

GREAT CAR!

Old 12-16-05, 06:18 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm driving a friend's old '92 Accord Coupe EX 5-speed while my GS is being painted.
The 5-speed versions are pretty rare- especially in Coupe form.

This car has a great Alpine & Boston Acoustics stereo, DC Sports header (stock exhaust), Neuspeed springs and Tokico shocks. We threw big meats on it a few years ago: 17x7.5 Team Dynamics DTM wheels with 225/40-17 Nitto NT-555 tires and PowerSlot rotors with Axxis pads. We even did an Alpine 8080 alarm with Smart Windows- the windows roll up & down by remote control, the doors lock, etc.

I've had a blast driving this car. I hadn't driven a manual transmission car extensively in about a year; I was happy to find I still posessed the required software to operate a clutch. It's very different from driving my MR2 or my brother's Corolla GT-S AE86 (both of which are receiving engine transplants), but it's peppy, fuel efficient, and tossable in corners.

A few subtle modifications give the Coupe version a sleek look. We color-matched the lower cladding and painted the side moldings silver (the car is white with blue cloth interior). It's amazing how low you sit in this car, especially if you're sitting next to a new Camry at a traffic light. The engines are quite robust, and the overall fit and finish of the car is quite good, especially considering this one has 184,000 miles and it still looks and runs great!

I need to post some photos... I'll shoot some this weekend.
Old 12-17-05, 02:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I'm driving a friend's old '92 Accord Coupe EX 5-speed while my GS is being painted.
The 5-speed versions are pretty rare- especially in Coupe form.

This car has a great Alpine & Boston Acoustics stereo, DC Sports header (stock exhaust), Neuspeed springs and Tokico shocks. We threw big meats on it a few years ago: 17x7.5 Team Dynamics DTM wheels with 225/40-17 Nitto NT-555 tires and PowerSlot rotors with Axxis pads. We even did an Alpine 8080 alarm with Smart Windows- the windows roll up & down by remote control, the doors lock, etc.

I've had a blast driving this car. I hadn't driven a manual transmission car extensively in about a year; I was happy to find I still posessed the required software to operate a clutch. It's very different from driving my MR2 or my brother's Corolla GT-S AE86 (both of which are receiving engine transplants), but it's peppy, fuel efficient, and tossable in corners.

A few subtle modifications give the Coupe version a sleek look. We color-matched the lower cladding and painted the side moldings silver (the car is white with blue cloth interior). It's amazing how low you sit in this car, especially if you're sitting next to a new Camry at a traffic light. The engines are quite robust, and the overall fit and finish of the car is quite good, especially considering this one has 184,000 miles and it still looks and runs great!

I need to post some photos... I'll shoot some this weekend.

Dude, that was a great review!

Old 12-18-05, 02:38 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Some of those poster names sound familiar..

My first car was a 1986 Accord LX-i a previous generation.. I liked it! Was it sporty? Not really, but due to its extremely light weight (less then 2600 lbs for a sedan!) it was somewhat nimble and tossable! I kinda miss that car.
Old 12-18-05, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Some of those poster names sound familiar..

My first car was a 1986 Accord LX-i a previous generation.. I liked it! Was it sporty? Not really, but due to its extremely light weight (less then 2600 lbs for a sedan!) it was somewhat nimble and tossable! I kinda miss that car.
You don't want one much older than that. The mid-late 1980's was the period when most manufaturers...the ones than had not already done so...switched from carburators to electronic fuel injection. And Honda carburators, like those on many cars of that period, ran excessively lean and were a real handful during engine warmup.
Old 12-19-05, 12:22 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

No way, I used to have a 91. Get the Altima if you want sporty, my friend used to kill me in his.

Originally Posted by duckworth

Old 12-19-05, 10:40 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Ah i love this car! The first time I drove stick was in a 92 white w/blue 5 speed. Those things will last forever and they were pretty sporty for the time. I wouldn't mind using it as a beater/commuter since it barely uses any gas and is so cheap to run.
Old 12-20-05, 06:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The steering feedback of the 4th gen accords is better than a maxima, altima, and definitely any camry I have had to lay my hands on. It may not be quick in a straight line or a corner, but it's pretty fun to throw around. All you really need is an H22 (unmodified), and better spring/shocks with some rear anti-sway bar and you got yourself a damn nice daily driver.
Old 12-21-05, 06:40 AM
PHX ATC
Rookie

NO, it's not sporty.