Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Major Auto Shows Coming Up Shortly (all Auto show talk and pics here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 12:49 PM
LexFather

Old 01-07-06, 12:51 PM
LexFather

Old 01-07-06, 10:03 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS Lexus going to unveil or show a concept of the LX replacement?
that model is like a 100 years old What about the new ES .. I hope Lexus has more to show then just the LS.
Old 01-08-06, 12:10 PM
LexFather

Honda sweeps honors at Detroit auto show

2 hours, 47 minutes ago

DETROIT (Reuters) - Honda Motor Corp. (7267.T) swept the top honors at the Detroit auto show on Sunday as its all-new Civic and first-ever pickup, the Ridgeline, were voted car and truck of the year by a panel of automotive writers.
ADVERTISEMENT

The result marked another setback for Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news) and General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news), which have been losing market share to Japanese competitors in their home market and have pledged to mount a comeback in the passenger car market.

The Ford Fusion and the Pontiac Solstice had been the other finalists for the North American Car of the Year award, given by a panel of 49 car writers from the United States and Canada.

The revamped 2006 Civic and the Ridgeline, Honda's first truck offering, had also won vehicle of the year honors from trade magazine Motor Trend, giving Honda a first-of-its-kind sweep in all four major awards and an important marketing tool to attract new buyers.

"I don't know how you can top this. We certainly hoped for one, didn't expect two (awards)," said John Mandel, senior vice president at American Honda. "Words can't express the excitement. It's the first time it's ever been done, I believe."

The Ridgeline, which Honda introduced in April, is on track to meet the company's target for 50,000 unit sales in North America in the first full year, Mandel said.

Honda has promoted its first entry into the truck market, which features a relatively short bed and roomier passenger cabin, in part on the basis of its responsive handling and safety features.

Honda expects to sell more than 300,000 Civics in 2006, Mandel said, adding that sales since the revamped model's launch had benefited from renewed consumer attention to fuel economy.

The Civic also comes in a hybrid version, offering 49 miles per gallon for city driving and 51 miles per gallon on the highway.

"Sales have been phenomenal. It's really hit the ground running," Mandel said of the Civic.

The full-time auto writers who voted on the vehicle-of-the- year awards assigned points to each entrant on the basis of ride, performance, safety and value considerations.

The Civic Coupe price starts at $14,360, while the Ridgeline starts at $27,700 before optional features.

Old 01-08-06, 02:00 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honda sweeps honors at Detroit auto show

2 hours, 47 minutes ago

DETROIT (Reuters) - Honda Motor Corp. (7267.T) swept the top honors at the Detroit auto show on Sunday as its all-new Civic and first-ever pickup, the Ridgeline, were voted car and truck of the year by a panel of automotive writers.
ADVERTISEMENT

The result marked another setback for Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news) and General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news), which have been losing market share to Japanese competitors in their home market and have pledged to mount a comeback in the passenger car market.

The Ford Fusion and the Pontiac Solstice had been the other finalists for the North American Car of the Year award, given by a panel of 49 car writers from the United States and Canada.

The revamped 2006 Civic and the Ridgeline, Honda's first truck offering, had also won vehicle of the year honors from trade magazine Motor Trend, giving Honda a first-of-its-kind sweep in all four major awards and an important marketing tool to attract new buyers.

"I don't know how you can top this. We certainly hoped for one, didn't expect two (awards)," said John Mandel, senior vice president at American Honda. "Words can't express the excitement. It's the first time it's ever been done, I believe."

The Ridgeline, which Honda introduced in April, is on track to meet the company's target for 50,000 unit sales in North America in the first full year, Mandel said.

Honda has promoted its first entry into the truck market, which features a relatively short bed and roomier passenger cabin, in part on the basis of its responsive handling and safety features.

Honda expects to sell more than 300,000 Civics in 2006, Mandel said, adding that sales since the revamped model's launch had benefited from renewed consumer attention to fuel economy.

The Civic also comes in a hybrid version, offering 49 miles per gallon for city driving and 51 miles per gallon on the highway.

"Sales have been phenomenal. It's really hit the ground running," Mandel said of the Civic.

The full-time auto writers who voted on the vehicle-of-the- year awards assigned points to each entrant on the basis of ride, performance, safety and value considerations.

The Civic Coupe price starts at $14,360, while the Ridgeline starts at $27,700 before optional features.
I'm a Honda fan, but I don't get what the infatuation is with the Civic and Ridgeline. It seems like they win an award every time I wake up in the morning.

The Civic is a nice car... but nothing revolutionary. I guess it sits at the top along with the Mazda 3 in its segment.

The Ridgeline is a nice "truck" also, but it's kind of in a class by itself. A car based, 4 door truck. Serious truck buyers won't even give it a glance.
Old 01-09-06, 04:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
I'm a Honda fan, but I don't get what the infatuation is with the Civic and Ridgeline. It seems like they win an award every time I wake up in the morning.

The Ridgeline is a nice "truck" also, but it's kind of in a class by itself. A car based, 4 door truck. Serious truck buyers won't even give it a glance.
I'm sure the people casting the ballots there know that the Ridgeline is not a Super-Duty Diesel F-250.....unlike most of us, they evaluate vehicles professionally for a living. Their vote simply reflects the Ridgeline's several design firsts in the pickup truck category....things like the unibody combined with a separate ladder-frame and the lockable compartment under the bed.
Old 01-10-06, 02:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Man, I saw my first Saleen Mustang 2 days ago. Great looking car rolling down the street.

Those Pearl White and Black Lambos are the TRUTH!!
Old 01-10-06, 03:44 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Hundreds of pics.
http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/s...1&galleryId=32
Old 01-16-06, 03:18 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

I have to say, after seeing the LF-A in person at the LA auto show, i was very unimpressed. Finally saw the Matador Red IS350 at the show, no dealer had them. They also had my color there and I was comparing the two. I think mine is alright as well (tungsten).
Old 01-17-06, 07:29 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

The detroit auto show can now be viewed on lexus.com

enjoy LS views!
Old 01-19-06, 10:55 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Default 2006 Chicago Auto Show

I'm probably going to end up in Chicago in February for the 2006 Chicago show.

If I end up going, I'll keep my eyes open for anything new though I'm sure everything substantial has been covered already.

M.
Old 01-22-06, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default OK...now it's our turn on the East Coast

OK...you guys on the West Coast and Midwest have had your shows in L.A. and Detroit. Now it's our turn on the East Coast. The Washington, DC Auto Show starts Tuesday morning, and, for the first time in history, will now be a Class A show instead of a Class B....not as big as Detroit, of course, but will now considered a top-drawer show. It follows Detroit for the first time, and we will no longer have a lot of new models denied display here and held back here for the Detroit Show like previously...they will already have been introduced there.

I will be there all day Tuesday, Wednesday afternoon, and at least one or two additional days as well. I'm eagerly looking forward to it...this will be a show like we have never had in DC before.

Naturally, at my age, I will have sore feet and be tired and hungry when I get back at night. I'll do some posting but much of what is new you guys have already posted from the L.A. and Detroit shows. I'm going to try and find out the answers to some questions that were not answered at L.A. or Detroit, though....like if we are going to get AWD for the G35 coupe, an AWD IS350, if Saturn dealerships are going to be allowed to price-gouge on the Sky, if the new Lincoln Ford Five-Hundered-based vehicle will sell alongside or replace the Town Car, if the Pontiac GTO Judge will get a green light, and a nunber of other issues. I will also be there with people who are shopping for new wheels to give advice....and maybe with some local CL colleagues.

So...if you don't hear much from me next week....trust me. I WILL be busy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 04:57 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK...you guys on the West Coast and Midwest have had your shows in L.A. and Detroit. Now it's our turn on the East Coast. The Washington, DC Auto Show starts Tuesday morning, and, for the first time in history, will now be a Class A show instead of a Class B....not as big as Detroit, of course, but will now considered a top-drawer show. It follows Detroit for the first time, and we will no longer have a lot of new models denied display here and held back here for the Detroit Show like previously...they will already have been introduced there.

I will be there all day Tuesday, Wednesday afternoon, and at least one or two additional days as well. I'm eagerly looking forward to it...this will be a show like we have never had in DC before.

Naturally, at my age, I will have sore feet and be tired and hungry when I get back at night. I'll do some posting but much of what is new you guys have already posted from the L.A. and Detroit shows. I'm going to try and find out the answers to some questions that were not answered at L.A. or Detroit, though....like if we are going to get AWD for the G35 coupe, an AWD IS350, if Saturn dealerships are going to be allowed to price-gouge on the Sky, if the new Lincoln Ford Five-Hundered-based vehicle will sell alongside or replace the Town Car, if the Pontiac GTO Judge will get a green light, and a nunber of other issues. I will also be there with people who are shopping for new wheels to give advice....and maybe with some local CL colleagues.

So...if you don't hear much from me next week....trust me. I WILL be busy.
Got the tickets you sent. Thanks!
Old 01-23-06, 08:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I was able to get into the Detriot show yesterday (final day of the show) and I was a bit dissappointed with the show overall.

There were not as many cars as I had expected to see compared to 2005, or perhaps having been there last year reduced the glamour for me - I don't know which one it is. We got through the whole show in under 4 hours............ and I had both of my sons with me.

Anyway, the most impressive car there was the Toyota Volta - simply stunning and absolutely georgeous!!! I took tons of pics and will post up some tonight.

The LS460L has some very nice features, but it's not a car I would buy simply because I am more into sportier cars not befitting my advanced age. Even my 9 year-old son liked the cool features on it - specifically the body temperature sensors, the ottoman, the shiatsu massage etc.

Mercedes Benz had an interesting E350 Bluetec model. Here is more info on Bluetec if you are interested http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/...***/#more-1285

My older son was looking forward to seeing the Carrerra GT, Ferrari Enzo - but those cars were not there.

The electric blue modified (dumped with BBS wheels) IS350 was very very nice!

One car that I really liked which I found very surprising was the Super Bee Dodge Charger - this beast comes with a 6.1 liter Hemi engine putting out 425 HP, has a Brembo 4 corner BBK, 20 inch wheels, special upgrades to the interior etc. etc . Here is more info on it http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4262064&EDATE=

Looking forward to the Canadian International Autoshow (Feb. 17 to 26) - http://www.autoshow.ca/2006/whereandwhen.asp?sub=main - With over 150 exhibitors and over 850,000 square feet of exhibit space in one of the most accessible locations in Toronto, "Canada's Premier Automotive Exposition" is the 2006 Canadian International AutoShow. The commitment begins with sheer size. The Show encompasses over 850,000 square feet in the North & South Metro Toronto Convention Centre and Rogers Centre.

It is expected that over three hundred thousand people will flock to Toronto's downtown core to participate in the Canadian International AutoShow, Canada's largest consumer show held annually at Rogers Centre and the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Where else can one view "the total automotive experience" including all the latest in new cars, prototypes, concepts, classics, sport compacts, trucks, 4x4's and automotive clubs and associations?

Since 1974, the AutoShow has fashioned a spectacular stage for the auto industry to showcase its finest-and for the car-buying public to experience a stunning presentation of what's new and what's next. In the years since, the Canadian International AutoShow has become one of the most influential events on the worldwide Show circuit, placing us among elite company such as Paris, Detroit and Tokyo.

Over 1,000 new cars and trucks are on display featuring many Canadian premieres.

Last edited by Hameed; 01-23-06 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
We got through the whole show in under 4 hours............ and I had both of my sons with me.
Wow. The whole show in just 4 hours? The Detroit show is probably the largest auto show on the planet. I figured it would take that long just to bull your way through the crowds waiting to see the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger concepts.

Quick Reply: Major Auto Shows Coming Up Shortly (all Auto show talk and pics here)