Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Major Auto Shows Coming Up Shortly (all Auto show talk and pics here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 08:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wow. The whole show in just 4 hours? The Detroit show is probably the largest auto show on the planet. I figured it would take that long just to bull your way through the crowds waiting to see the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger concepts.
It was actually quite easy to see those two very nice concepts - perhaps being the last day of the show explains this.

I had forgotten to mention these two cars before - both were very nice cars. Took pics of these as well.
Old 01-23-06, 08:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Anyway, the most impressive car there was the Toyota Volta - simply stunning and absolutely georgeous!!! I took tons of pics and will post up some tonight.
When are they going to produce that $#%&#$ car ?

sigh . . .
Old 01-24-06, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Washington DC Auto Show was great today.......not as big, of course, as Detroit, but still excellent. I spent a number of hours there from morning till late afternoon, so I'm tired as heck and won't be doing much posting tonight. The majority of what was shown off new in Detroit ( not all ) was there...including the orange Dodge Challenger concept ( and a purple 1970 Challenger next to it for comparison ) , the Ford Edge and Shelby Mustang GT500 and convertible, the new GM full-size SUV's, ( boy that new interior on them is great ), the Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Jeep Compass and Commander, Lincoln MKS, Lincoln MKX, Audi Q7, Audi S3, BMW M Roadster and M6, Suzuki Vitara, Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Mazda CX7, Cadillac STS-V, XLR-V, DTS, and several exotic concepts.
Notably missing, for various reasons, was the new Lexus LS460, Chevrolet Camaro Concept, Pontiac GTO Judge, 4-door Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Skyline GTR, and Hyundai Santa Fe. The Hyundai Entourage, which I hoped to see, will not be introduced until the April New York Show. Lexus and Nissan may bring the LS460 and Skyline down later in the week for the second half of the show.....we'll see.

Couldn't get much info on the new Acura NSX. The Acura people did confirm the old one went out of production last November but were mum on details about a new one, if at all. The only thing that they would say about the new one was that they have not been told anything concrete....I'm not sure I buy that line.

As for Lexus, forget about an AWD IS350 and an AWD GS430.....for the time being. The Lexus people have definitely ruled that out for now. And guess what, Amethy (SC)? They ARE considering Matador Red for the new LS460.

Too tired to post any more tonight. See you all later. I'll be back at the show tomorrow afternoon with more friends.
Old 02-06-06, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For all of you who have never met me or seen a picture of me......here is a shot Dodge took of me at the recent Washington, DC show at the Challenger concept display.

http://dodge-photos.com/autoshows/in..._photo_index=1

and at the Chrysler display:
Please enter the ID# from the card you
received at the event, confirm your age,
then click 'Submit'.
Can't access the site . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-06-06, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah...sorry, guys...I had to delete it. It just wasn't working..it would not transfer correctly .
Old 02-07-06, 06:45 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Chicago Preview

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS
Tough new Tundra is the big news in Windy City

By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 02/06/06, 3:09 pm et
CLICK BELOW FOR MORE:
>> 2006 Chicago Auto Show Preview
CHICAGO - The spotlight at the Chicago Auto Show this week will be squarely on Toyota's redesigned 2007 Tundra - a bigger, bolder pickup aimed at the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado.

Toyota is so confident of the Tundra's success that two U.S. plants are being prepared to assemble the truck.

Trucks account for most of the world debuts at Chicago's McCormick Place:

Lincoln will unveil the re-engineered 2007 Navigator along with a new stretched version.

Dodge will expand its SUV line with the Nitro.

Hyundai will introduce its first minivan.

Nissan will unveil the Quest minivan with an upgraded interior.

Chevrolet spotlights the 2007 Avalanche.

A handful of new cars also will debut, including the redesigned Lexus ES 350 and the sporty Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart.

Press conferences are scheduled Wednesday, Feb. 8, and Thursday, Feb. 9. Here are the significant world debuts planned.

Chevrolet

General Motors will unveil its restyled and re-engineered Chevrolet Avalanche. The multifunctional pickup gets enhancements similar to those GM made on the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade.

Dodge

Three world debuts are scheduled for the Dodge stand, including the Nitro SUV. (See story, at right.) Dodge also will unveil an SRT performance version of an unspecified existing model and a truck concept that executives say would take the brand in a new direction.

Honda

A concept car that is a variation of an existing model will be unveiled, but Honda is offering no details.

Hyundai

The production version of the 2007 Entourage minivan will be unveiled. The Entourage is a sibling of Kia's Sedona minivan.

The Sedona goes on sale this month in a long-wheelbase version. A short-wheelbase version arrives in late summer. The Hyundai edition will be in long-wheelbase format only, and will go on sale this summer. The Sedona will compete with the Dodge Grand Caravan, while the Entourage - with more upscale touches - goes against the Chrysler Town & Country.

International

Navistar International Corp. will take the wraps off two trucks: the redesigned 2007 International MXT, a large, four-door Hummer-like pickup and the production version of the four-door RXT concept that debuted at last year's Chicago show. The RXT featured a 22-foot pickup bed.

Lexus

The fifth generation of its ES 350 mid-sized near-luxury sedan will debut. The redesigned car, based on the Avalon platform, remains front-wheel drive. Lexus says the ES 350 will arrive in showrooms in late spring. There is no word on prices.

Lincoln

Ford Motor Co. is putting Lincoln front and center.

Lincoln will unveil the re-engineered 2007 Lincoln Navigator and its new companion, the extended-length Navigator L that targets Cadillac Escalade ESV buyers. The versions of the Navigator receive freshened front and rear styling, a new interior, a new frame and steering and handling improvements.

The Navigator and its sibling, the Ford Expedition, are the first vehicles on Ford's T1 architecture. The F-150 pickup eventually will move to this architecture and share front-end components.

Lincoln also will announce the availability of all-wheel drive and Ford's new 250-plus-hp 3.5-liter V-6 for the 2007 Zephyr.

Mercedes-Benz

The horsepower gets cranked up on Mercedes' six-passenger R-class crossover with the addition of a performance model, the 503-hp R63 AMG.

The 6.3-liter V-8 engine produces 465 pounds-feet of torque. Standard equipment includes awd and a seven-speed automatic transmission. Sales begin in August. This V-8 is the first engine developed entirely by AMG, Mercedes' performance arm.

Mitsubishi

The high-performance 2007 Galant Ralliart has a 258-hp, 3.8-liter V-6. The car features 18-inch wheels and a sport-tuned suspension.

Ralliart, Mitsubishi's motor sports group, also is responsible for the Lancer Evolution and Lancer Ralliart.

The Galant Ralliart has exterior styling changes that will be used in the restyled 2007 Galant. The car will be built at Mitsubishi's assembly plant in Normal, Ill.

Nissan

Nissan is counting on the 2007 Quest's new interior to boost the minivan's disappointing sales. One of the highlights of the interior is a new instrument panel, which positions the gauges in front of the driver. In the current Quest, gauges are in the center of the instrument panel. Some potential buyers said that was inconvenient and distracting.

Toyota

The most important introduction at the Chicago show will be the 2007 Toyota Tundra pickup.

The new Tundra, first seen as a concept at the Detroit auto show two years ago as the FTX, will be much larger than the current Tundra. Toyota is tired of criticism that the current Tundra is a seven-eighths-scale pickup. The new one is expected to be larger than existing Ford, GM and Dodge pickups.

The V-8 engine size is expected to grow from its current 4.7 liters to the 5.5-liter range, although there is a possibility of keeping the smaller engine as a price and fuel economy leader.

The pickup will be assembled in Princeton, Ind., and San Antonio. Sales are scheduled to begin early next year.

Mary Connelly, Rick Kranz, Jamie LaReau, Mark Rechtin and Amy Wilson contributed to this report
Ummm, is the ES350 based off of the Camry or Avalon?