Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz tops 2005 German car recalls

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 12:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz tops 2005 German car recalls

STUTTGART -- DaimlerChrysler's premium Mercedes-Benz brand recalled the most cars in Germany this year as it stepped up a campaign to address nagging quality issues, Auto Motor und Sport reported on Tuesday.

The list compiled by the magazine showed Mercedes called in around 350,000 cars for repairs on items including brakes, electrical components and windshield wipers.

French brand Peugeot ranked second with 65,000 cars recalled, ahead of Ford Motor Co. with 61,440 recalls, according to the report.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
Old 12-21-05, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahhaa, talk about some rewards you don't want to receive?

very sad man, in terms of number mb is more than 5 times that of the 1st runner up @_@
Old 12-21-05, 01:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MB is first with 350,000 recalls, and Peugeot has a far distant second with 61,000.

Does MB sell six times the amount of Peugeots, making them at least "equal", because this is pretty bad..
Old 12-21-05, 02:18 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess this isn't shocking news. Really do hope MBZ can turn it around though, they do make great looking cars.
Old 12-21-05, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
STUTTGART -- The list compiled by the magazine showed Mercedes called in around 350,000 cars for repairs on items including brakes, electrical components and windshield wipers.

]
Not surprising.....not one bit. The Mercedes electro-hydraulic brakes used on several of its most recent models have been an almost complete disaster......one of the most trouble-prone things ever put into a modern car. In fact, the last I heard, M-B has tossed them out into the trash completely and gone back to full-hydraulic brakes for all future models....but of course they still have to service and warrant the existing electro-hydraulic brakes on the cars already sold until they develop conversion kits to re-equip those cars with newer all-hydraulic systems.

Lexus has gone to electro-hydrulic brakes on the new GS430....let's hope those buyers are spared the woes of the M-B systems.
Old 12-21-05, 03:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woo hoo...Mercedes trumps all others by a landslide. Great showing big Benz!!
I'll bet the new S-Class is going to set yet another record in this regard.

BTW here's a direct link to the news report.
http://today.reuters.com/business/ne...RECALLS-DC.XML
Old 12-21-05, 04:10 PM
LexFather

More of the same, I thought they said things were improving. Sad what they have done to such a storied brand.

Old 12-21-05, 06:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I guess this isn't shocking news. Really do hope MBZ can turn it around though, they do make great looking cars.
i must agree
Old 12-22-05, 04:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
More of the same, I thought they said things were improving. Sad what they have done to such a storied brand.
gotta love the PR :-).

Everyone who has worked on MB cars in past 10 years, can tell you that its electrics are piece of crap. It is not an SBC brake problem only, their whole electric wiring system is flawed.
Old 12-22-05, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
gotta love the PR :-).

Everyone who has worked on MB cars in past 10 years, can tell you that its electrics are piece of crap. It is not an SBC brake problem only, their whole electric wiring system is flawed.
Studies have shown that one of the main reasons why European cars, and especially M-B products, have so many electronic problems is the design of the connectors. They are difficult to install properly by feel...which sometimes must be done when the factory worker has to reach down under dashes, inside of small and limited speces, etc.....where it cannot be done by sight. Japanese connectors, on the other hand, especially Lexus ones, are designed so that if the worker has to install them by feel alone, they snap solidly into place and give a loud, audible " click " to verify the job done properly.

Why European companies have not adopted the Japanese style of connectors is beyond me.......unless they are patented and cannot legally be duplicated.
Old 12-22-05, 04:39 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this makes me bring up, what advantages do the electro-hydraulic braking systems have over traditional hydaulic brakes? Is it really worth all the extra hassle?
Old 12-22-05, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
So this makes me bring up, what advantages do the electro-hydraulic braking systems have over traditional hydaulic brakes? Is it really worth all the extra hassle?
Supposedly quicker actuation....might cut a couple of feet off braking distances, especially panic stops. Problem is, the electronic braking computer often can't tell exactly how much braking force you, as the driver, want in any given situation...and at its worst, can slam the ABS on full-force. That has been the chief customer complaint.....poor modulation of brake pressure. You simply cannot tell how much...or how little.....the brakes are going to respond by the amount of pressure from your foot. And, needless to say, the crappy M-B electronics don't make an already lousy system any better. That is one reason why I have always disliked M-B-style " Brake Assist " systems that decide for themselves if a driver wants a panic stop and automatically does it. All this does, besides possibly warping the brake rotors with excessive heat, is set the stage for a rear-ender from the guy behind you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-05 at 05:14 PM.