Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays Everyone.......Review: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Happy Holidays Everyone.......Review: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and Happy Holidays everyone. The Corvette C6, from what I can tell, seems to generate more widespread interest on CL than any other vehicle with an American nameplate. Some of you already own Corvettes. Others of you are interested. Others are considering it but don't know or are undecided. Still others would like to but cannot, for whatever reason. This car has a long history of being not only the classic American sports car but a classic enthusiast machine as well...and long a favorite of auto-test magazines. It is perhaps the #1 car that guys go shopping for when that mid-life crisis hits around age 40 or so. So....instead of reviewing another ordinary, everyday, production vehicle, I've saved this special car for a special season.....the Holidays. So now....since many of you like my reviews.....here is my special Christmas and Holiday gift to CL and CAR CHAT.....the latest-generation Corvette C6.

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleHom...=&higherPrice=

Model tested: 2006 Corvette C6 Coupe

Base price; $43, 800

MSRP: $48,890

Drivetrain: 6.0L LS-2 all-aluminum V8, 400 HP, 400 ft.lbs. torque, 6-speed manual transmission.

I chose a manual-transmission ' Vette rather than the sport-shift, paddle-operated automatic in spite of the dense traffic in this area because, while in general, automatics are preferred in urban areas, this spirit of this car in many ways demands a proper clutch and stick-shift, and many of them are sold that way.
This car, to say the least, is an enormous improvement over earlier Corvettes in many ways, and little wonder that it is so sought-after, especially considering what you get for your money.
So now.....enough of an introduction...............let's get to the car itself.

PLUSSES:

An enormous level of performance for the money.

Stump-pulling torque and slingshot acceleration from a well-proven engine.

Well-designed transmission; easy-to-use clutch for a muscle car.

Fiberglass body ends the problem of rust, corrosion, dings, and dents....and shows better workmanship and paint than other GM cars.

High level of comfort and plenty of room for a sports car.

Complete set of engine gauges...no guessing with idiot lights.

Superb handling and steering response..

Better-than-average quality of interior materials for a GM car.

Keyless, push-button ignition.

Relatively quiet exhaust and engine unless pushed...then you know it.

Enormous traction and tenacious grip from the tires.......on dry pavemant.

Extremely low center of gravity means almost zero body roll in turns.

MINUSES

Powerful but somewhat mushy brakes.

Limited cargo room.

Hard-to-get or expensive insurance for higher-risk drivers.

Annoying 1-4 skip-shift feature in the manual transmission....but it can be overridden.

Relatively difficult to get in and out of for tall people.

Poor front and rear bumper protection.

Limited rear visibility.

Almost worthless on slick surfaces in spite of electronic traction aids.

OK....the first thing that strikes you about this car as you walk up to it, besides the beautiful, aerodynamic styling, is how LOW it is. The fiberglass body, as usual, has a mirror-smooth texture, better-than-average paint for GM car, and, in the latest C6 interation here, well-fitted in its panels.The Coupe, which I drove, has a removable targa-type roof panel for nice days....which, with freezing temperatures, ruled out its use today even though it was nice and sunny.
To get in the car, you reach under the outside handles and touch ( not pull ) an electronic door release. The windows drop down about an inch or so as the doors pop open. Then....and here's the hard part for tall people.......you bend WAY down and contort yourself in like a pretzel. Perhaps the easiest way to do for tall people is to turn face out and just sit back down in the seat behind you, then swivel and bring your legs in. Once in, the car is surprisingly roomy and comfortable, especially so for a low-slung sports car. The black leather seats on this car were a little slippery, like most leather seats, but were otherwise well-designed...they manage to give good support while at the same time having enough room for portly backsides such as mine....you can tell this is an American sports car designed for big Americans. The interior, while not limo-like, also has a surprising amount of room for big people. I am 6' 2 " and had no problem with either headroom of shoulder room....I had plenty of headroom under the low roof with the seat adjusted for my size, even with my hat on. Likewise, with no back seat to worry about, there is also plenty of legroom with the seat back. The interior, while a little plain-looking with a lot of black expanses, nevertheless had nice tasteful brushed-aluminum accents and hardware, controls, and switchgear that, while not quite Lexus-like in quality, was a pleasant change from the usual GM dime-store look and feel. The steering column is manually tilt-adjustable, but apparantly not telescoping...I couldn't find a telescoping control. Fortunately, the column rises high enough for tall people to get in and out of and get their legs under it......a problem with many sports cars. Up front is a nice FULL set of white backlit electroluminescent gauges with clear pointers, precise markings, and a race-car style full-sweep on start-up. Just about the only thing I disliked about the interior was having to sit an inch off the ground with your legs flat out in front of you....that is just not my forte, but of course, it is unavoidable on a low-slung car like this. The visibility out the back, while not the worst I've seen, was hampered by the low, aerodynamic roof and rear-pillar styling...so you have to be careful changing lanes, even with the side mirrors, and make sure another car is not in a blind spot.

With the key in your posession, push the black starter button to the right of the steering column and the all-aluminum 6.0L LS-2 V8 fires up instantly, fast-idles for a few seconds, then settles down into a smooth, quiet regular idle....no shaking and snorting like in the old days. I expected a Hulk Hogan, hard-as-iron clutch typical of American muscle cars.....I was pleasantly surprised. The clutch was relatively light, smooth (after a few practice starts), and engaged at just the right point of its travel...not too high, not too low. The manual transmission linkage likewise was pleasant ( with one exception ) with a super-short-throw shifter, precise-feel linkage, and excellent feedback....you can generally shift by feel alone. This is all the more remarkable considering the long linkages required for the rear-mounted transmission at the back of the drive shaft. 6th gear, however, is excessively tall and practically useless for anything under Autobahn speeds.....most of the time you will not need it at all. The only really annoying feature is the 1-4 skip-shift feature built into the linkage ( much has been written about this in magazines ) which is primarily there to satisfy the EPA and for CAFE mileage figures. It CAN be easily overriden, though.....just give the lever a little more force when you bring back from 1-2, force it to the left as you shift, and the tranny will then obediently pop in to 2nd.....and then 3rd....so you don't have that big RPM drop from 1st to 4th.
Now...the engine. Oh...boy. First gear is fairly short so you run out of revs fairly quick ( as it was a new car I didn't go over 4000 ) . Bring the lever back with a little side force to escape the 1-4 shift, let the clutch back out in second, drop that gas pedal and you are G-O-N-E. Folks, this car DOES get out of its own way....REAL quick. The otherwise quiet exhaust and pipes open up with a traditional American V8 howl and burble. Pop into third and the almost limitless, stump-pulling torque still hammers you back into your seat...even below 4000 RPM. Then hit 4th and you are STILL pressed way back into your seat by the torque. This car will get you a speeding ticket in a hurry....and I was careful not to overdo it.
When it comes time to slow down, the brake pedal, like on some other GM products, did have a little initial mushiness and a soft marshmallow feel, but make solid contact with the rotors and even though this car did not have the big Brembos found on the more expensive Z06, you better have your belts fastened because it is like dropping a battleship-grade anchor behind a rowboat.
The ride, again, was a relatively pleasant surprise despite the firm, ultra low-profile, high-performance tires, stiff, performance-oriented springs and shocks, short suspension travel, and the car's light weight with the fiberglass body. Road and wind noise were well-muted for a sports car; the ride, while firm, did not beat you up over bumps like many sports cars, and, unlike previous Corvettes, there was a noticeable lack of squeaks and rattles....even with the Targa-Type roof panel, notorious for lessening roof strength and integrity even while locked in place. However, as the miles build up on the car and the new-car solidity fades, it will be interesting to see if used C6's develop the usual rattles in this area.
Around curves, the massive tires grip the road like a miser gripping his cash on payday. The steering, while not quite BMW-like, has excellent road feel and feedback despite the power assist. This is one of the few cars I have driven......outside of BMW's........where I felt the power steering was NOT overboosted.

Just don't expect this kind of performance on anything but a dry surface. There was some leftover hard-packed snow and ice patches still lying around in parking lots, so I gently tried it out. Forget it. This car is almost worthless on a slick surface. Even with the electronic traction aids, it is a light, fiberglass-bodied car with massive torque, dry-weather tires, rear-drive, and an almost 50-50 weight distribution which does not put the majority of the car's weight over the driving wheels. In foul weather, park this beast and take the Subaru.

Trunk space is OK for a sports car, but, like most sports cars, is rather limited. I was also not impressed with the way the front and rear styling gives almost no bumper protection to the fiberglass body......one reason, perhaps, for the somewhat expensive and sometimes hard-to-get insurance for this car. Other factors include the expensive, hard-to-repair fiberglass panels, the fact that it has 2 seats ( insurance companies don't like that ) and has a massive amount of power.

So....my verdict? GM has done an amazing job on this car, especially considering the less-than-$50,000 price. It has addressed many of the previous Corvette bugaboos of poor body fit, lousy paint, squeaks and rattles, cheaply-done and cramped interiors, knock-out-your-fillings ride, and muscle-ache clutch and shift linkage. IMO, it is well-worth the money it costs, offers Porsche 911 performance for half the cost, is one of the best performance bargains on the road today for the buck, and will go a long way toward making you forget about the poorly-built, uncomfortable, unrefined, and unreliable ' Vettes of yesteryear. Just keep it on a dry road.

Happy Holidays again, everyone............enjoy this car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-05 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 11:36 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always mmarshall, excellent and thorough review!
Old 12-22-05, 11:44 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review, dood!

Merry Christmahannaquanza to you too!
Old 12-22-05, 12:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Excellent review, thank you, makes me want to consider one too LOL
Old 12-22-05, 12:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for the review Mmarshal.

The Corvette is indeed a bargain for the performance. Absolutely no question about that.

I was watching a Top Gear episode in which Richard Hammonds test drove this car and two things stood out in his mind as things he hated - the gearbox felt like "rubbish", and the ride was too harsh. These guys tend to predominantly drive sports cars, so I am sure they are used to harsh suspensions, so I was kinda surprised by this comment.

Him and Jeremy also took jabs at the leaf spring suspension and called it a suspension from the 19th century.

I was very surprised about the suspension being a leaf spring suspension.......
Old 12-22-05, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Thanks for the review Mmarshal.

The Corvette is indeed a bargain for the performance. Absolutely no question about that.

I was watching a Top Gear episode in which Richard Hammonds test drove this car and two things stood out in his mind as things he hated - the gearbox felt like "rubbish", and the ride was too harsh. These guys tend to predominantly drive sports cars, so I am sure they are used to harsh suspensions, so I was kinda surprised by this comment.

Him and Jeremy also took jabs at the leaf spring suspension and called it a suspension from the 19th century.

I ......
Past Corvettes were indeed unrefined, crude, and poorly built. But not this car. Hammonds, IMO, is wrong about this car....he needs to open the windows a little and let in some fresh air.

That's not to say, quality-wise, that this car is a Lexus...it is not. But unlike past ' Vettes, it has acceptable build quality, good attention to detail, you don't have to turn the stereo up all the way to drown out the rattles, and, for under 50K, it's hard to find more sports car for the money.
Old 12-22-05, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Excellent review, thank you, makes me want to consider one too LOL
Mid-life crisis coming up?

Seriously, you're not alone. Most males.....and some females as well.....have wanted a Corvette at some point in their lives. While I admit the car is a lot of fun to drive, it is not a car that I would buy, however, as a daily driver.
Old 12-22-05, 12:51 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seriously, you're not alone. Most males.....and some females as well.....have wanted a Corvette at some point in their lives. While I admit the car is a lot of fun to drive, it is not a car that I would buy, however, as a daily driver.
That same comment applies to my GS400 - it is not daily driver.......... Of course it is not a performance focussed machine like the Vette, but I choose not to drive it in the winter or in heavy rain.
Old 12-22-05, 01:04 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

MMarshall once again with his Motortrend editor in chief like right ups. Yes the Vette is quite a machine. i tested one out at the GM Autoshow in Motion. That car launches like a bat out of hell, and the cornering is amazing. I will have to settle for the GTO though (same motor and tranny) I just like the sleeper look. It will shock the hell out of a lot of folks who know nothing about it.
Old 12-22-05, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
MMarshall once again with his Motortrend correspondent like right ups. Yes the Vette is quite a machine. i tested one out at the GM Autoshow in Motion. That car launces like abat out of hell, and the cornering is amazing. I will have to settle for the GTO though (same motor and tranny) I just like the sleeper look. It will shock the hell out of a lot of folks who know nothing about it.
LOL. Actually I don't read MOTOR TREND very often, unless they have something specific in it that haven't seen anywhere else. I don't have a particularly high opinion of that magazine...haven't for years. I DO, however, read CAR and DRIVER, ROAD and TRACK , AUTOMOBILE, and AUTOWEEK ...and, of course, the yearly CONSUMER REPORTS new-car issue for the latest in car reliability ratings. AUTOWEEK has published many of my comments.

Of all the car mags, I like CAR and DRIVER the most....except for Brock Yates. They have some of the best editorials, and their style of auto testing and write-ups has influenced me the most.....although of course I have my own personal and particular style.

You are correct that the GTO has the same powertrain....but the handling isn't quite the same. The much lower center-of-gravity, smaller size, and ligher weight from the fiberglass-bodied Corvette compared to the GTO are noticeable in hard cornering....though, granted, the GTO is no slouch.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
That same comment applies to my GS400 - it is not daily driver.......... Of course it is not a performance focussed machine like the Vette, but I choose not to drive it in the winter or in heavy rain.
Like my answer to DASHOCKER, the GS400, while not as hard-edged as a ' Vette or GTO, is certainly no sloutch either in the sports-sedan department....though you are correct that it is not the best sports-sedan for foul weather. And even though the ' Vette is much-improved in many ways from its predecessors, a Lexus in build quality it is not.

If you would like a foul-weather capable GS, may I suggest the 2006 GS300AWD? It is a superlative machine, quality-wise......one of the best overall cars I have ever driven, though it is, as I noted in that review, quite pricey. Still, it doesn't cost any more than a C6.....and neither does a new 300 HP , 260 ft.-lbs. AWD Acura RL with Acura's latest incentives.
If you want to save money and still have a good AWD product, you also may want to look at the newer IS250 AWD but its power level is only about half that of a Corvette....in a heavier, though better-built, car. You can also save even more money and look at upper-level Subarus with their superb AWD systems...the best in the under-35K range.

Here is my review of the GS300AWD from last March:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...cked+GS300+AWD

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-05 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 04:13 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are correct that the GTO has the same powertrain....but the handling isn't quite the same. The much lower center-of-gravity, smaller size, and ligher weight from the fiberglass-bodied Corvette compared to the GTO are noticeable in hard cornering....though, granted, the GTO is no slouch.
Nice write up. Gives me hope, I'll go test one. My mind is pretty much set on my next car but your write up opens my curiosity about the vette. I couldn't get my leg in the c4. It was a lot better in the c5 but too many quality issues still. C6 may just do the trick.

As for the GTO, that handling can be greatly improved with a suspension change. Can't beat 400 ponies for $32K. My complaint about is the steering column doesn't adjust. I was put off by that.
Old 12-22-05, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
. I couldn't get my leg in the c4. It was a lot better in the c5 but too many quality issues still. C6 may just do the trick.

Like I said, the C6 is a significant improvement quality-wise but is still no Lexus.

As far as " getting your leg " in the C6, I am 6' 2", 275-280 lb., rather portly built, and had no trouble fitting in the C6, although the inch-off-the-ground seating position and legs-out posture is not exactly my cup of tea. It is also a long way down and up for tall people when you are getting in and out, but the max-up position of the steering column.......which goes up quite a bit.........helps out somewhat with that.
Old 12-22-05, 04:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Nice, I have been considering a new Vette, but haven't decided between a C5 on the cheap side or go all out on a C6. My C4 is being built with a 327 by my father and I as a project car. This leaves me open to another daily and I really would like it to be another Vette as I have been a bit conservative the last few years on performance until this latest Vette I purchased has perked my interest again.

Good write-up
Old 12-22-05, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Nice, I have been considering a new Vette, but haven't decided between a C5 on the cheap side or go all out on a C6. My C4 is being built with a 327 by my father and I as a project car. This leaves me open to another daily and I really would like it to be another Vette as I have been a bit conservative the last few years on performance until this latest Vette I purchased has perked my interest again.

Good write-up
You will notice the difference between the C6 and the C4 the moment you get in, shut the door, and look around......and also the first time you pop the clutch and tranny into gear. Also with the C6 you don't have to worry about the C4's headlight doors sticking closed when you need them at night...the C6 has fixed headlights for the first time on a production Corvette since 1962.

However, is a new C6, to you, worth what it costs? Since it will it be your money ( or your dad's ), only you two can decide that. My verdict is that it is hard to find another sports car with that kind of performance for less money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-05 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays Everyone.......Review: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6