Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What if: Jeep Grand Cheerokee SRT-8 or G500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 11:59 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez guys... thanks. Now, i'll be dreaming about about G55s the whole plane trip. Im actually in Tokyo's Narita airport now, on transit, before continuing to Singapore for the holidays.

From the original price range of about 50k, we are now talking Turbos and AMG whose prices resides in areas close to 6 digits. Totally out of my price range...

and after seeing that video, man, who can resist not having a G55?

I wonder whether I can just buy a used G500 now, and call Kleemann in a the future and be on par with the G55 and the Turbo...
Old 12-24-05, 01:12 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw the "Test Drive"episode with the Srt Jeep on the Speed channel. That truck is a beast, and it looks 10 times better than the armored car G500. I would get the Jeep
Old 12-25-05, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I like the Porsche Cayenne Turbo recommendation.

At the last autoshow, I got up close and personal with a G500/55. I was surprised at how cramped the front and rear seats were! Hummer tight. If it's not a big deal, go for the AMG version. Actually, you might be able to swindle a deal on one right now since the new G is due in.

Both the Cayenne Turbo and the AMG G-Wagon would be a LOT of money....and Porsche parts and service, ( when not free ) are outrageously exepensive as well. The Cayenne Turbo, though, does something very few SUV's do...combine at least some genuine off-road capability ( not as much as its brother the VW Touraeg ) with semi-race-track capability. The G-Wagon, already a tremendously capable vehicle off-road, will, with the AMG package, sacrifice some of that mountain-goat capability for better performance on dry pavement.......while I have not seen the Owners' Manual specifically for this vehicle, Mercedes will likely have some off-road restrictions for the AMG model.

If you have the money for a vehicle like this and can afford it....fine, go for it.....but I can't overestimate the fact that these are EXPENSIVE vehicles to both buy and own.
Old 12-25-05, 11:27 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to have a G500....

that thing drives like a tank, but it's the best damn off-road vehicle i have ever been in....

that plus the visibility. You can see every damn corner of the car...
Old 12-26-05, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
i used to have a G500....

that thing drives like a tank, but it's the best damn off-road vehicle i have ever been in....

that plus the visibility. You can see every damn corner of the car...
Yes...as I said earlier, too......It is one of the best off-roaders on the planet. It not only drives like a tank, but is built like one too.....I'm not exaggerating. Shut a door solidly and you will see what I mean.....you'll be amazed. The drive train has THREE fully-locking differentials ( most off roaders have three but only 2 of them lock ) so almost nothing will stop it short of a direct bomb strike or a major flood....and full-military armored versions can even resist bombs. But....it's pretty much what you would expect from a German-Austrian military-derived vehicle built to be an off-road Mountain Goat in the Alps.

However...back to your consideration of an AMG-spec one. While this will make it a little more like the Porsche Cayenne Turbo on dry roads, it will compromise that rugged performance off-road...so you will have to decide which is more important.