Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver 2/06: 5 Everyday Heroes (Acura v. Honda v. Mazda v. Pontiac v. VW)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-05 | 06:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Default Car and Driver 2/06: 5 Everyday Heroes (Acura v. Honda v. Mazda v. Pontiac v. VW)

5. Pontiac G6 GTP - $29,335

Highs: Torquey V-6, slick styling, respectable test numbers

Lows: Opressive wind noise, primitive shifter, steering substitutes effort for road feel.

The Verdict: Competent, comely, and quick, but not quite ready for prime time.

4. Mazdaspeed 6 - $28,555

Highs: Power to burn, eager responses, good control layout.

Lows: Psychotic-vacuum-cleaner exhaust note, low-rent interior, firm ride.

The Verdict: Long on punch, short on polish.

3. Acura TSX - $30,505

Highs: Sweet engine, snick-snick six-speed, gazelle moves, uptown interior.

Lows: A few ponies shy of perfection, i-VTEC not necessarily an asset here, wants real rubber.

The Verdict: A sophisticated light-weight in a middleweight title fight.

2. Honda Accord EX V-6 - $29,850

Highs: Plenty of smooth power, handsome interior, superb seats, lots of room.

Lows: Hints of first-gear torque steer, could use more roll stiffness, lacks visual pizazz.

The Verdict: An uninspired tiger in a business suit.

1. Volkswagen Jetta GLI - $27,605

Highs: All-pro tailback moves, torquey turbo motor, sports-car braking.

Lows: Rubik's cube seat adjuster, cramped rear quarters.

The Verdict: A Jetta that finally lives up to its name.
Old 12-24-05 | 06:41 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

umm what happen to toyota camry? i had camry and i know they are not sporty and all, but for daily driver, there is no better choice than a camry or an accord. i think toyota camry deserve to be on the list, not jetta.
Old 12-24-05 | 07:56 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

The proper VW from a size/class standpoint would have been the Passat... Guess this was a price-class comparison...
Old 12-24-05 | 08:07 PM
Trexus

I was also thinking where is the Toyota Camry? I can't believe the Accord beat the Acura TSX. It appears this review is not complete. The Camry is an everday hero.
Old 12-25-05 | 12:34 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trexus
I was also thinking where is the Toyota Camry? I can't believe the Accord beat the Acura TSX. It appears this review is not complete. The Camry is an everday hero.
Probably because there is a new Camry coming out soon, they don't want to test the phase out one. Plus, if you put Camry and Mazdaspeed 6 together, it looks kind of not in the same class. But Accord, TSX, GTP look closer, but what does the Jetta doing there?
Old 12-25-05 | 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
The TSX is based on the non-U.S. market Accord, which is a somewhat smaller platform. The U.S.-market Accord's V6 also far outpowers it. I would take the TSX's styling and interior, though, hands-down, to the Accord's.

I understand your concern about the Camry not being there but the Camry, while an excellent family machine and a relatively soft, easy-going car, apparantly was not sporty enough to meet C & D's criteria for this test.

I would like to have seen where the new Ford Fusion V6 or its brothers, the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr......especially the Zephyr, which starts in the same 29-30K range the other cars in the test did and is a semi luxury / sports sedan like the TSX, would have fit in here. I recently did a review of the Zephyr.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...lincoln+zephyr
Old 12-25-05 | 11:26 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Probably because there is a new Camry coming out soon, they don't want to test the phase out one. Plus, if you put Camry and Mazdaspeed 6 together, it looks kind of not in the same class. But Accord, TSX, GTP look closer, but what does the Jetta doing there?
I agree that the Jetta shouldn't be there. Isn't the Passat in the same class as the Camry, Accord, Maxima and Mazda 6? I believe th Jetta is in the same class as the Corolla.
Old 12-25-05 | 02:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

True that.

The Jetta is nice though; it has really grown up. But the Camry and Passat fall into this category better. I can't wait to see the comparison next year when the new gen Camry is revealed.
Old 12-25-05 | 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes....size-wise the Passat is a little closer but in the last few years the Jetta has grown substantially in size and price. It now costs what a Passat did just a few years ago.