Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Car return??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 06:20 AM
moneyball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car return??

Hey guys, my moms bought a New 06' Toyota Corolla 2 days ago. She got ripped off, and i was suprised to see all the garbage they charged her for. Especially since i did all the negotiation (via email, phone) and she only went there to pay for it. I heard that within 3 days you can still return a brand new car.. Is this the case?? Does anyone have specifics?? I live in CT, so it probably would have to pertain to brand new car purchases here.
Old 12-26-05, 07:08 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Can_you_ret...it_for_one_day
http://www.insidercarsecrets.com/return_car.html

I did a google search on "return a new car" and the above links are results of the search.
Unfortunately, It doesnt look too good.
Old 12-26-05, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL. Glad to have you.

Here is the Consumer Affairs website for the State of Connecticut Attorney General's office with their contact phone numbers and E-Mail. They should be able to fill you in on detail about Connecticut's Consumer protection laws. I did several searches but couldn't find any details of a Buyers' Remorse law....but they, of course, would know. They may be closed today but should open up tomorrow morning. The 3 days, BTW, is probably three buisness days, not calendar days.
http://www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?a=1629&q=274430

If this issue is important to you, next time consider a Saturn. This is one area where Saturn, more than any other manufacturer, leads the industry. Irrespective of state Buyers' Remorse laws, any new Saturn can be returned within 30 days with a clear title and no significant damage and the purchase price will be refunded. I know...I once did it...and got back not only the purchase price but taxes as well...which they didn't have to do.
http://www.saturn.com/saturn/purchas...rage/index.jsp

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-05 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-26-05, 08:56 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know in Oklahoma you can return a car within 3 business days for a complete refund. Sorry I do not know about CT.

jonny
Old 12-26-05, 10:05 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

What extra charges were there? How could it happen if you worked out the deal and she paid what you told her?
Old 12-26-05, 10:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car's purchase price may be hard to change, especially when you're Mom signed the contract, which meant that "I'm signing this and it's all fine with me."

As for the frivolous "garbage" that they probably added such as window security etching, teflon coating on interiors/exteriors, security systems, GAP insurance, etc, that should be easily remedied. Contact the dealer and get a refund for these items. These are items that do not fall into the "new car" category but rather special products and services provided by the dealer.
Old 12-26-05, 12:32 PM
moneyball
Driver School Candidate

Well basically he quoted me a price on the phone, my mom went there, and they added that b.s. Destination fee, charged her for "toyota" carpets, and blah blah blah.... Thing is we agreed to that price as an end all plus tax and reg. Luckily my mom was supposed to go back today and sign the papers for the financing, i'm hoping i'll just go back there, and if they are not willing to remove those charges, i would just leave the car there. She has a receipt, signed to pay the amount including all the fees, has the car already in possesion, but has not yet signed the financing papers yet. I was told by a co-worker that he knew of someone who has done it, and i should have a typed letter, signed by my moms, and a notary public, and just give it to them, w/ the keys to the car, if i decide to return it. I dont know, but i will post an update tomorrow after going there.. Cant wait to see how this works out!! lol
Old 12-27-05, 04:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

something wrong with toyota mats? :-). Is Destination fee different from fee listed on their website?