Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus version of Tacoma/Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 07:15 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Lexus version of Tacoma/Tundra?

Does anyone here think that Toyota will luxurize their trucks? As of now, I believe that Lincoln is the only luxury brand offering a truck -- anyone know how its sales are?

I realize that having a luxury truck probably does not make a lot of sense considering what a truck is for, however, I never would have thought that Toyota would have Lexus-ized their SUVs (not crossovers) into the LX/GX.

The reason I ask is bc I am going to need a truck when I move; the Tacoma is my #1 choice but being the emblem chaser that I am, a Lexus version could not hurt. Especially since I do not plan on doing a lot of off-road rugged stuff - mostly just trips to Lowes/HomeDepot for outdoor goods. An Acura version of the Ridegline would probably make more sense since that is basically a crossover truck ...

Does anyone else think that there is a market for this?
Old 12-28-05, 07:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

no for Lexus trucks... But Toyota trucks moved up - new Tacoma is pretty upscale for an truck, and Tundra will be even more so...
Old 12-28-05, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
[FONT=Georgia] As of now, I believe that Lincoln is the only luxury brand offering a truck -- anyone know how its sales are?

No.....Cadillac sells a version of the dual-purpose Chevrolet Avalanche....the Escalade EXT

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/....jsp?model=ext

It has not sold particularly well....its sales have been far overshadowed by the Tahoe / Suburban-based Escalade and Escalade ESV.

While, of course, I personally would like to see more Lexus products, I'm not sure a Lexus pickup is a good idea from a marketing standpoint. For one thing, it would more or less compete with the $50,000 ( fully loaded )super-luxurious Ford F-150 Lariat King Ranch. And trust me, the King Ranch is one impressive pickup....it did not get the name King Ranch for nothing.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/ne...le-pickup/341/

And outside of the Chevy Siverado, trying to compete with ANY Ford F-150 product is like trying to crack the Rock of Gibraltar....the F-150's market is just TOO strong. Even Ford's sister Lincoln Division can't compete with Lincoln versions of the same truck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-05 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-28-05, 10:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pick-up trucks ain't luxurious, even if you put a Hummer or Cadillac symbol on them. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-28-05, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Pick-up trucks ain't luxurious, even if you put a Hummer or Cadillac symbol on them. 'Nuff said.
No...not quite 'Nuff said. I have to at least partially disagree here. True, body-on-frame pickups usually don't ride like luxury cars, especially unloaded, but the interiors on some of the top-level ones can....and do......put some " luxury " cars to shame.
Old 12-28-05, 10:40 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No...not quite 'Nuff said. I have to at least partially disagree here. True, body-on-frame pickups usually don't ride like luxury cars, especially unloaded, but the interiors on some of the top-level ones can....and do......put some " luxury " cars to shame.
I second that one, I was recently in one of those F150 Kings and hot dog.
Old 12-28-05, 11:15 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more like pickup trucks WEREN'T luxurious , comparing the previous gen f-150 with the new ones <interior wise talking> there is a major improvement of the quality in the interior materials/finish, first time to offer 'floor' gearbox, heck there is even a model with leather above the instrument panel ala aston, along with <actually nice> wood accents and all that.. They also have a very nice ride.. I think Bitkahuna had a nice write up about the one he bought i believe last year?
Old 12-28-05, 11:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, body-on-frame pickups usually don't ride like luxury cars, especially unloaded, but the interiors on some of the top-level ones can....and do......put some " luxury " cars to shame.
It is true that pick-ups can be luxurious, but they functionally cannot be "luxury". A pick-up truck can't be luxurious if they have loads of bricks, bags of fertilizer, or lawnmowers in the back...
Old 12-28-05, 11:48 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I never understood the highend pick-up craze. There was always something not right about that. Both the Mark LT(previous gen Blackwood also) and 'Lade EXT arent big sellers. I highly doubt Lexus would jump into that market.
Old 12-28-05, 11:52 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont understand the point of having a $60K pick-up. IMO pickups are work vehicles and should be used as such. Who in their right mind will put garvel into the bed of something that expensive?
Old 12-28-05, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with several of you here about the impracticality of hard-working pickup trucks trying to be luxury vehicles...in spite of some ultra-luxurious high-end pickup interiors. Yet, when you look at it, pickups aren't supposed to be high-performance dragsters either...but we still have the Ford Lightning, Chevy Silverado SS, Dodge Ram SRT10, etc.....

There is a market......albeit small, for high-performance dragster trucks, and there is also a market...again albeit small, for limo-luxury trucks.

The issue, though, to get back to the original question on the thread..... is there enough of a potential market specifically for Lexus to do a redone Toyota Tacoma? In my opinion, right now, no.....it is simply not big enough of a potential market right now to justify putting Lexus money and resources into something like this, especially given the competing luxury trucks already out there in that small market. Lexus dollars right now could be more wisely spent in other areas....such as more AWD systems for their regular cars and, especially, redesigning the current SC430 which, IMO, looks ugly, and adding an SC300 which they should have done from the start.
Old 12-28-05, 12:48 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Until the day MBZ or BMW offer pickup trucks, I highly doubt Lexus will offer one.
Old 12-28-05, 01:05 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

mark those words, can't remember what magazine was it, mentioned MB planning on coming out with a version of the RAM
Old 12-28-05, 04:13 PM
LexFather

Only the Escalade has proven it can sell its EXT. The Lincoln Blackwood and even the new Lincoln whatever its called is selling poorly (the blackwood was discontinued).

people are funny when it comes to things like that. I find the Sierra Denali and Ford F-150 Lariet to be superb for a pickup.

I am sure the new Tundra is going to be no joke.

But no, no Lexus version is coming.

Old 12-28-05, 07:06 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Hopefully lexus doesnt ruin there rep by making a Lexus truck if they make it thats one lexus i wont buy.

Quick Reply: Lexus version of Tacoma/Tundra?