Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to Read Dealer number

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 01:34 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Read Dealer number

I have a new Lexus GX470 on order. It is being shipped from another dealer.

I'm kind of curious where it is coming from. I have the following info from the "Vehicle Inquiry Report":

Current Dealer: 330-62906
Previous Dealer: 63110

Any idea what this means? Has it been at two previous dealers?
Old 12-28-05, 01:48 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

I don't know if they want that stuff out in the open. It's not super secret, but I just don't know. Did you try asking your salesperson? Casually say, so where's my car coming from, I'm just curious.
Old 12-28-05, 03:32 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I asked him when he called to say they found the car. His answer was he had no idea (probably true). I suppose I could push it, but after my husband worked so hard on the deal I figured I'd let them relax a bit
Old 12-28-05, 04:10 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

those look like east coast store numbers.

your salespro prbably does know

and it really isn't a big secret. it's called a dealer trade, wich happends daily.

heck, we even have a "dealer trade manager" at our dealership.

You have to understand, that not only your salperson worked hard in putting the deal together for you. but also the sales manager,finance and dealer trade manager have time invested in the deal. so, in other words, it would suck if you found out where the car was coming from and you just drive over there and buy it
Old 12-28-05, 05:41 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

When we bought our 99 RX300 it came from Lexus of Knoxville.I know that because it said so on the window build sheet. Our dealer got it for us because that's what we wanted and he traded it for one of his cars. So check your window sticker when you get the car.

Last edited by cantsleepnk; 12-29-05 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 06:25 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Gato - I never really thought about the fact we could then get it direct- not something we would do, but it makes sense to worry about. We basically had agreed with them that if they could find the car we would get it from them - if not we could look ourselves or buy something else.

They did mention they would have their "girl" start checking around for the car to see if a trade was available (hmm, maybe a guy would be called "dealer trade manager"). We had already settled on a price, now we needed a car. My guess is the salesman himself didn't really care where it came from - he was just happy that the deal could happen.

I was sort of surprised that it could take over two weeks to get the vehicle in, but as long as I have a vin # with what looks like the right specs I at least know there is an SUV.

BTW, the Nissan and Ford websites allow you to virtually build the car or SUV, and then check your build specs against a number of dealers inventory automatically - complete with full specs and vins. Very upfront and consumer friendly.
Old 12-28-05, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
it would suck if you found out where the car was coming from and you just drive over there and buy it
No.....absolutely not. It would NOT s**k. In fact, there are some customers you can't pull that stuff with. I got around that once ( the refusal of a dealership to reveal the whereabouts of a new car ) when helping a friend search for a new MR2 Turbo....vehicles that a lot of dealers didn't keep in stock much as new cars. When a computer search was done, I carefully noted the codes on the line for the car we were interested in and asked for a printout. The guy said no. So.....while my friend was talking with the salesman about something else, I quickly wrote them down in secret even though the dealership would not print them out for us..... and before the guy thought to delete them off the computer screen. Then, armed with the codes, after we left the dealership, a simple call to Toyota's 1-800 Customer Service number got us the name and address of the dealership that had the car ( they don't care which dealership you buy from, as long as it is a Toyota product...and this was in the days before you could check dealer inventories by Internet ) ....and guess what? The dealership that refused to print the data out for us lost the sale. If they had been more honest and co-operative with us to start with we would have considered buying there. But they lost out trying to be cute. Thanks to the fact that I had secretly written the codes down.....and the fact that Toyota Customer Service was so " helpful ", we happily bought the car elsewhere.
It's a shame......but some dealerships simply have to learn the hard way that sometimes you shouldn't say no to some people.....it can come back to bite.
Nowadays, though, it is a little easier because most dealerships ( not all ) keep their inventory listed on their web sites....as they should. So if you do enough searching on your own you can often find it without having to involve either the dealership or the manufacturer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 11:08 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I'm going to disagree on this one with you Mmarshall. I would be pissed if a customer did that to me just because I refused to offer a internal document. Dealerships have company rules to which the salespeople need to adhire to. Same as any business and most of them don't want internal documents out in the world floating around.
I would however tell the customer where the car was coming from if I was asked and I always hand wrote all vital information for them. Things like the vin #, arrival date, price, and options.
Now if the salesperson and dealership was undesirable due to other reasons then you can always go to another local dealer and they can dealer trade. Not everyone wants to drive 50 miles to get a car. Some people prefer to buy locally to get the whole "neighborhood dealership experience" and service the car at same place they bought it.
A lot of work is indeed involved with dealer trades and money too if the car is being trucked so's not to incur any excess mileage for the customer's benefit.

Silverlady:
I was referring to Lexus Corp not wanting to post out all the dealer codes. As I said before it's not top secret, but who knows? Cantsleepnk is right, the original dealership is printed on the window sticker so you can find out for yourself when you pick up the car. Otherwise, call and ask the sales manager. If you approach it with a curiosity to which I described I'm sure they will not feel threatened and probably tell you info.
Old 12-29-05, 01:56 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
BTW, the Nissan and Ford websites allow you to virtually build the car or SUV, and then check your build specs against a number of dealers inventory automatically - complete with full specs and vins. Very upfront and consumer friendly.
Acura also has a nationwide dealership database that you can search to see what dealers have the car you are looking for. The problem (At least with the Acura one) is often you find the right car but it is since long been sold. I'm not sure how often or quickly they update this database. Sometimes you get a hit, and sometimes the car as been sold a few months ago. Either way though it is nice to at least have a chance to search the nation yourself
Old 12-30-05, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
I'm going to disagree on this one with you Mmarshall. I would be pissed if a customer did that to me just because I refused to offer a internal document. Dealerships have company rules to which the salespeople need to adhire to. Same as any business and most of them don't want internal documents out in the world floating around.
I understand your point, Liz....and basically I agree with you. I would not have done something like that at your dealership or to your colleagues. With people who treated their customers in the courteous and professional manner you do, I would not have even considered it....and you ( or your manager ) would have had a right to be p***ed at me. I have a LOT of respect for nice salespeople...believe me.

But....not every dealership is like Longo. The attitude and manners ( or lack of ) from this guy just meant he was asking for it. You would be pleased to know, though that I have never done that since. Never had to.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-05 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 11:50 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Mystery solved - I hope.

I stopped by and visited the Lexus dealer today and asked about my vehicle status. The Sales Manager looked up my GX.

It appears that the GX is actually enroute, and is coming new from Japan. The "swap" was actually a paper swap - the vehicle was part of an order going to a different dealer in New York and it will be coming here instead. To me this would seem preferable - it hasn't been sitting somewhere else and should come as factory fresh as possible.

The other good news is that the code has changed from "in transit" to a code indicating that the dealer has been charged for it. Once that happens, they are supposed to get it within 48 hours. If everything goes right, I should be joining you ranks of Lexus owners not much after this weekend!
Old 01-04-06, 03:23 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It sounds like they did an "A" trade which means they traded while car was on boat. It's better to do this type of trade because it cuts down travel time from one dealer to another since the car is going straight to your dealer. The original dealership's info will still be on window sticker in case you are still curious.
"In transit" or "F" (freight) means its already in the US and they are getting ready to put it on a truck. It's coming very soon.
Congrats on the purchase btw.
Old 01-04-06, 04:07 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
It sounds like they did an "A" trade which means they traded while car was on boat. It's better to do this type of trade because it cuts down travel time from one dealer to another since the car is going straight to your dealer. The original dealership's info will still be on window sticker in case you are still curious.
"In transit" or "F" (freight) means its already in the US and they are getting ready to put it on a truck. It's coming very soon.
Congrats on the purchase btw.
There is a Category "A" above where it says current dealer - perhaps that is the "A" trade? The dealer said it had gone from "in transit" to "G", which means they had paid and it should be here very soon.

It is bittersweet - I will be giving up my beloved 96 Ford Explorer about exactly 10 years after I bought her. That SUV has been like a part of me, with so many memories under her green hood.
Old 01-04-06, 04:42 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

"G" means "on ground" which is it's at dealership. You might get it as soon as tomorrow. The closer your dealer is to incoming port, the faster it comes.
Trust me, after a few days in the new GX you'll be saying Ford who?