Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Baby Rolls-Royce" Chrysler Imperial Revealed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 08:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default More pics . . .

. . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails "Baby Rolls-Royce" Chrysler Imperial Revealed?-imperial_13.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

. . . . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails "Baby Rolls-Royce" Chrysler Imperial Revealed?-imperial_15.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 08:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

. . . . . . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails "Baby Rolls-Royce" Chrysler Imperial Revealed?-imperial_16.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 08:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

. . . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails "Baby Rolls-Royce" Chrysler Imperial Revealed?-imperial_18.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 08:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Amethy. Those pictures do the interior even more justice. This car is truly beautiful inside. I love the way you find wood paneling almost everywhere....something that is often neglected too much with today's cars.
Old 01-11-06, 08:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails "Baby Rolls-Royce" Chrysler Imperial Revealed?-imperial_14.jpg  
Old 01-11-06, 10:48 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this car ... ALOT...

I know my boyz are gonna give me some grief on this but the interior WON me over...

I will sport that ride in a heartbeat although I do believe the car sits a lil' high...lol

My only fear is that every rapper, drug dealer and NFL wanna be will pimp this thing out ridiculously.....

All we need is a bunch of ghetto "wanna be ballaz" thinking they have a Bentley....
Old 01-12-06, 07:54 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it me or does the steering while turns without the cneter part

Old 01-12-06, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good eyes, Evgeshal. No, it's not you...I think you're right. The spokes DO look like they turn while the middle of the wheel stays fixed. That's a good idea...especially for easy access to the buttons.
Old 01-12-06, 08:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post New Era of Styling Leadership for DC?

DC is producing some beautiful classicly-themed automobiles, although I'm not such a fan of the high beltline look that reminds me of either an armored car or an old man whose pants are just a little loose in the armpits. Before their 40-year retreat into cartoon styling, Chrysler Corporation produced some of the most beautiful cars on the planet, particularly from 1957-1961.

My family had a 1957 Chrysler Imperial Crown Southampton in Arctic White with a turquoise interior - probably the most beautiful automotive sculpture I've ever driven. With that 392 Hemi driving a pair of 9" rubber doughnuts through a bulletproof 3-speed Torqueflite transmission, you could simply drive off and leave any Pontiac Tri-Power or fuelie 'Vette.

Despite today's virtual worship of the '57 Chevy, it was an ancient design, and Ford's T-Bird inspired look that year was one of the more attractive offerings available, despite its dated development. In 1957, Chrysler Corporation put 'em all on the trailer with the "Forward Look". "Suddenly, it's 1960!" was a bold advertising statement, but it was more than accurate. While tall tailfins dominated the design of all Chrysler products, it was the graceful beltline and delicate roofline that separated Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler products from their suddenly awkward-looking competition. Looking at competing Ford, GM, and Chrysler products in 1957, it was difficult to believe they were even built in the same era. That's how radical Chrysler's styling was. Chrysler would literally let you drive a Concept Car out of your dealer's showroom, while Ford and GM would spend over four years catching up.

Almost lost in the glare of the stylist's art, Chrysler engineering also produced class-leading ride, handling, and performance that couldn't be touched by other automakers for years. Sadly, the corporation lost their sharp focus by the mid sixties, and were reduced to producing a fleet of vehicles that were merely parodies of their earlier triumphs. Their vaunted engineering department served them well throughout the "muscle car" era of the late '60s - early '70's, producing some truly classic quarter-milers. When it all ended with the fuel crisis of the late '70's, Chrysler had lost both its engineering and its styling leadership. Lee Iacocca, the "father of the Mustang" bailed them out with a quick dose of management and marketing skill, but his departure, and a recovering market opened the door to a German take-over.

Will the new "classic" idiom continue at DC? It remains to be seen, but they certainly have a tradition of elegant styling leadership to draw upon.

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-12-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of the things, Lil, that separated the late 50's-late 60's Imperials from virtually any other Chrysler products was the fact that because the usual Chrysler torsion-bar front suspension and leaf spring rear suspensions of the time transmitted noise and vibration like a telephone line, the Imperial was the only mass-produced Chrysler product that used coil springs like the smooth, quiet running Ford and GM products of the period ( Corvair excepted ). As a result, the Imperial did not have the road noise that Plymouths, Dodges, and cheaper Chryslers had...but in typical Chrysler fashion, the suspension was nontheless just a little stiffer than Cadillacs and Lincolns, which made the Imperial a little less fussy while cornering and slightly less battleship-like.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-06 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 09:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good eyes, Evgeshal. No, it's not you...I think you're right. The spokes DO look like they turn while the middle of the wheel stays fixed. That's a good idea...especially for easy access to the buttons.
Yes, that's pretty cool, I wonder if it's going to be in the production model . . .