Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda will strengthen Acura's image

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 12:15 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus is close with the Nav system, but not quite there. The screen in the IS's nav system is unbeatable

All Lexus needs to do at this point is just add more audio voice commands and then it'll be awesome, since it already has bluetooth, destination, climate (though more features could be added), and a few others that I'm pretty sure I'm leaving out.

Edit: Oh and another thing about the TL... The TSX has a trunk lid mounted trunk release button and split folding rear seats, and the TL does not
Old 01-01-06, 12:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
The NAVI systems are really close, but Lexus' takes the cake for refinement and beauty. I agree the Acura has some more functions, like NavTraffic, but the computer synthesized voice is less natural, and the screen design is not as good as Lexus.'

That said, Acura dumbs down its image seriously with the new Canada only CSX.
Old 01-01-06, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
^^^
The NAVI systems are really close, but Lexus' takes the cake for refinement and beauty. I agree the Acura has some more functions, like NavTraffic, but the computer synthesized voice is less natural, and the screen design is not as good as Lexus.'

That said, Acura dumbs down its image seriously with the new Canada only CSX.
to be more critical, personally i think nav on acura is a bit more friendly
Old 01-01-06, 03:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agree with what most said here. but on the positive side, i am glad that honda is at least able to read what we have said (or some others) and realized the problem. i just wish them success in able to further out the distance between acura and honda -- they need it bad
Henry, as a long time multiple Acura owner who has been with them from nearly the begining, I have a perfect solution. Let me first start by saying Acura was well on the right track right up until 1996 when they redesigned the Legend with what was then changed to the RL for the Acura name, and brought out the TL to replace the Vigor. Another mistake was bringing out the CL in hopes of getting back Legend Coupe buyers. Those years were a major mistep for them and the competion passed them by real quite. Only now qith the 05+ RL and 04+ TL and even the TSX (Even if it is a rebade) is Acura headed back in the right direction. If these cars came out in 2002 I thnk Acura would be well back on their way.

Anyway, in the Acura line up they need to obviously get the new NSX in production. I don't care if it makes money, but they need another halo car that showcases their technology and F1 heritage. Offer a new larger V8 RWD with AWD option sedan above the RL to compete with the V8 copetition from Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Upgrade the RL to a DOHC 3.5, to 3.7L V6 with iVTEC making 325+ SAE HP. Offer a real RL Coupe and not under a different name like the CL and offer a manual transmission like they did in the gold old Legend days. Update the TL with SH-AWD. The MDX is okay and they are also getting the new RDX soon. The TSX IMHO is perfect for its intended buyers. That line up IMHO will put Acura back on the map.

Personally, I don't want Acura to try and compete head to head with Lexus. I like what they are doing and rather see them build BMW competition type of cars. They need to keep the over all sporty theme and just offer a few high luxury cars like the RL and larger sedan above the RL. Everything else should be geared more toward sport like BMW does.
Old 01-01-06, 04:09 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just two days ago,I drove my first acura ever. It was an '03 TL type S with about 40,000 miles. They had the best low-pressure approach. I walked in, said i want to drive that TL on the front lot and I'll be back in ten minutes ( I wanted lunch) I come back and the car has plates on it. The guy copied my liscense and off we went.

The car itself was awesome. Very robust sound from the V6 engine, acceleration was great and that manual-automatic mode was a great feature as well. Highway response was also great, I cant really think of anything about the car that I didnt like.

However, my verdict on the matter is: my lexus is smoother, more refined and better looking, in addition it also has slightly better low-end acceleration and significantly better mid-range/high speed acceleration. Add to this the fact that my car is 11 years older and it's no contest: you really cant compare the two cars.

'03 TL for around $17k-19k cash or a 92 SC400 for around $12k in cash with similar miles. It would make sense to just buy an SC400. But I sure would love to have a TL around as an extra.
Old 01-01-06, 04:14 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Just two days ago,I drove my first acura ever. It was an '03 TL type S with about 40,000 miles. They had the best low-pressure approach. I walked in, said i want to drive that TL on the front lot and I'll be back in ten minutes ( I wanted lunch) I come back and the car has plates on it. The guy copied my liscense and off we went.

The car itself was awesome. Very robust sound from the V6 engine, acceleration was great and that manual-automatic mode was a great feature as well. Highway response was also great, I cant really think of anything about the car that I didnt like.

However, my verdict on the matter is: my lexus is smoother, more refined and better looking, in addition it also has slightly better low-end acceleration and significantly better mid-range/high speed acceleration. Add to this the fact that my car is 11 years older and it's no contest: you really cant compare the two cars.

'03 TL for around $17k-19k cash or a 92 SC400 for around $12k in cash with similar miles. It would make sense to just buy an SC400. But I sure would love to have a TL around as an extra.
Watch out for those transmissions
Old 01-01-06, 04:35 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Yes I specifically brough up the nitemarish 5 spd transmissions in TLs, MDXs, accords etc. The salesguy mentioned the problem with them was fixed half-way through 2002 so the 03+ model years have good trannies that dont break. Any truth to this?
Old 01-01-06, 04:40 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Yes I specifically brough up the nitemarish 5 spd transmissions in TLs, MDXs, accords etc. The salesguy mentioned the problem with them was fixed half-way through 2002 so the 03+ model years have good trannies that dont break. Any truth to this?
No. My uncle has an 03 and he's on #3 with 60,000 miles. You do get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on the tranny, but it's still really aggravating as the transmissions apparently need to be shipped in from Japan, which takes a week or so.

I think the redesigned 04's were ok, but I'm not really sure.
Old 01-01-06, 04:57 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by TheRupp
No. My uncle has an 03 and he's on #3 with 60,000 miles. You do get a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on the tranny, but it's still really aggravating as the transmissions apparently need to be shipped in from Japan, which takes a week or so.

I think the redesigned 04's were ok, but I'm not really sure.

Aw man.... so basically If i bought an 03 TL it would only be covered until 100K miles... then Id have to start buying trannies out of pocket.

This makes me sad... I REALLY wish I had a TL. But lexus trannys are just that much better and I cant risk buying a car that's notorious for problems like that.
Old 01-01-06, 10:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably would gladly give up my 93 SC400 for an 03 TL-S even with the potential tranny problem. Of the many friends I have with TL-S or other supposed affected Honda/Acura cars with the potential tranny problem none of them had any problems so far. With that odds I'd take my chances knowing I had a 100K tranny warranty.
Old 01-01-06, 11:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My parents have a 99 and 03 TL and CL and have never had any problems with them. I know plenty of people with TLs, v-6 accords, and CLs who modify and abuse them and they have never had any kind of problem with their cars. It is something you would want to make sure you have looked at but it has been blown out of proportion a bit over the internet and it would not stop me from owning one, any car can have a transmission or engine problems, at least with the Tl and cl you have a warranty to 100K miles.

As for Acuras image I agree they should offer a v-8 but they do not "need" a v-8 as they are doing very good without one. It would be nice to have that option but v-8s do not sell nearly as much as v-6 in the same model car although people still like the idea of being able to have a v-8 option. Look at the Infiniti Q45, it had a very powerful v-8 and rwd yet has never sold well, the first m45 did not sell well either. Maybe Acura will shoehorn the v-10 from the next NSX in the RL or a larger model but I think the v-10 will remain exclusive to the NSX like the DOHC v-6 was to the current NSX. A RL coupe would be nice too and their are rumours they are working on one. I like Acuras lineup and once the new NSX comes, hopefully an RL coupe and possibly a 8 cylinder for that coupe and the RL sedan or a larger sedan they will have a very competitive and complete selection for many enthusiasts tastes.
Old 01-02-06, 01:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Henry, as a long time multiple Acura owner who has been with them from nearly the begining, I have a perfect solution. Let me first start by saying Acura was well on the right track right up until 1996 when they redesigned the Legend with what was then changed to the RL for the Acura name, and brought out the TL to replace the Vigor. Another mistake was bringing out the CL in hopes of getting back Legend Coupe buyers. Those years were a major mistep for them and the competion passed them by real quite. Only now qith the 05+ RL and 04+ TL and even the TSX (Even if it is a rebade) is Acura headed back in the right direction. If these cars came out in 2002 I thnk Acura would be well back on their way.

Anyway, in the Acura line up they need to obviously get the new NSX in production. I don't care if it makes money, but they need another halo car that showcases their technology and F1 heritage. Offer a new larger V8 RWD with AWD option sedan above the RL to compete with the V8 copetition from Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Upgrade the RL to a DOHC 3.5, to 3.7L V6 with iVTEC making 325+ SAE HP. Offer a real RL Coupe and not under a different name like the CL and offer a manual transmission like they did in the gold old Legend days. Update the TL with SH-AWD. The MDX is okay and they are also getting the new RDX soon. The TSX IMHO is perfect for its intended buyers. That line up IMHO will put Acura back on the map.

Personally, I don't want Acura to try and compete head to head with Lexus. I like what they are doing and rather see them build BMW competition type of cars. They need to keep the over all sporty theme and just offer a few high luxury cars like the RL and larger sedan above the RL. Everything else should be geared more toward sport like BMW does.
well said chris, i agree a lot with you. if honda wants to chase after lexus, it's a far stretch and i am not sure how long it will take them to really achieve it. maybe making a new ground for themselves is a better option, though making the crowd believe could prove to be even harder

oh and btw, crapp tranny on tl-s? look no further. tranny on my tl-s was slipping when i traded it in -- with no regret
Old 01-02-06, 07:52 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I've looked around a bit and i've decided I would much rather have a 98-99 GS400... the only disadvantage is I actually like look of the acura slightly more. But with the GS you get 300 hp V8, similar sedan bodystyle, better build quality, and a tranny which is far less known to fail.

Also, with similar miles, a 98 GS400 would cost about the same as an 03 TL-S. And as you guys know, age is not a factor for me.
Old 01-02-06, 09:07 AM
LexFather

I've looked around a bit and i've decided I would much rather have a 98-99 GS400... the only disadvantage is I actually like look of the acura slightly more. But with the GS you get 300 hp V8, similar sedan bodystyle, better build quality, and a tranny which is far less known to fail.

Also, with similar miles, a 98 GS400 would cost about the same as an 03 TL-S. And as you guys know, age is not a factor for me.
So you got R.Kelly's number on speed dial? J/K

Old 01-09-06, 06:55 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb New Design Site

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business

State to Get Acura Site for Design
From Bloomberg News

Twenty years after introducing Acura premium vehicles to the U.S., Honda Motor Co. has chosen California as the site of the brand's first design center.

"Acura will become a more global brand, and will go out into China and Japan," Honda President Takeo Fukui said Sunday in an interview at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. "Acura models developed in the U.S., led by U.S. engineers, will become key products in the global operation."

The new design center will open next year in Torrance, home to Honda's U.S. headquarters, Fukui said. Acuras are currently designed at Honda design studios in Torrance and in Japan.

It will cost "less than $10 million" and probably employ fewer than 100 designers, said Koichi Kondo, Honda's North American chief executive. More than a dozen automotive design studios run by the world's biggest automakers are based in California.

Honda, based in Tokyo, began selling Acura models in the U.S. in 1986 to retain buyers looking to upgrade from Honda's small, fuel-efficient cars to larger, more luxurious models. Its success with Acura led Japanese competitors Toyota Motor Corp. to follow with Lexus and Nissan Motor Co. to create Infiniti.

In 2003, Toyota created a separate design center for Lexus at the automaker's global headquarters in Toyota City, Japan. Nissan doesn't operate a studio solely for Infiniti.

Acura, the No. 5 premium auto brand in the U.S., will build the studio after selling a record 209,610 cars and light trucks in 2005, a 5.4% increase from the year before. Lexus sold 302,895 vehicles in the U.S. last year and is the country's largest luxury brand, followed by BMW, General Motors Corp.'s Cadillac and DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes-Benz.

Honda said last month that as many as five Acura models would be sold in Japan starting in 2008. Sales in China begin this year, Fukui said, and the automaker "hopes to sell about 250,000 to 300,000" Acuras a year worldwide by 2008. Acuras are now sold mainly in the U.S. and Canada.

Quick Reply: Honda will strengthen Acura's image