Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda will strengthen Acura's image

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 09:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Honda will strengthen Acura's image

Honda will strengthen Acura's image

James B. Treece
Automotive News / December 26, 2005 - 6:00 am

TOKYO - Honda Motor Co. will try to give the Acura brand a stronger identity.

"We're going to differentiate the Honda and Acura brands and grow both," Honda CEO Takeo Fukui says.

As one step to differentiate its two brands, Honda is reorganizing its engineering staff. Engineers will be asked to develop features and attributes that clearly support each brand's identity. Fukui says Acura will continue as a sporty performance brand. It will not attempt to be a luxury brand like Lexus.

Honda will not separate Honda and Acura designers, he says. Toyota Motor Corp. separated Toyota and Lexus stylists before launching the Lexus brand in Japan in August.

Honda will launch its Acura brand in China next year and in Japan by the autumn of 2008. Stronger identities for each brand will be necessary when they are sold together in Japan.

The Acura brand debuted in the United States in 1986.

In China, the Acura lineup will include the RL and the U.S.-built TL. China also will get the successor to the NSX sports car. Fukui says the debut date of the NSX's successor has not been set.

Honda has not said what Acura models will be sold in Japan. The RL now is sold in Japan as the Honda Legend. Other Acura models also are badged as Hondas in Japan.
Old 12-30-05, 09:26 PM
LexFather

Another useless marketing and publicity attempt which=LMAO.
They should begin by not making every Acura a version of a Civic or Accord.
Then actually figure out "hey, we are the only ******** that don't offer a RWD car"
And "we are the only ******** without a V-8 or larger"

On top of that, its not like Acura is missing sales. With their cheap value pricing, anyone can get one and sales have never been higher. So why do they feel the need to take a jab at Lexus as "luxury only". Did they fogert the SC 300/400, IS 300, GS 300/400/430 and now the IS 250/350?

WTF??? Do u know what a Lexus press release about Acura would say..

Nothing.

They are concerned with true players, BMW and Benz.

Old 12-30-05, 11:32 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree...the japanese market will be a tough nut to crack since the acura branded cars that are sold elsewhere in the world are technically hondas...they need to seperate themselves like lexus did and come up with completely distinguishable cars that are only acura. And they do need a V8 bad
Old 12-31-05, 07:45 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

1Sick: Step. Away. From. The. Keyboard! *LOL*

Seriously, you took this one a little hard, don't you think? First off, this isn't an Acura/Honda press release, it's a news article. The thing about Lexus being a luxury brand isn't a quote from the Honda CEO, it's a paraphrase. And the way I took it, it was a compliment. He's basically saying that Acura can't compete at the level Lexus does so they're going more directly after the route Infiniti has followed with it's recent products. Besides which, the Lexus brand stands for quality and luxury, NOT performance. None of the cars you mentioned when defending Lexus' performance heritage have a reputation as class leaders in the performance department. It's true that the 2nd gen GS was the quickest and best-braking sedan when introduced, but it lost those distinctions quickly and was never a contender when it came to cornering and handling. The IS350 has potential, but has pretty much been dismissed as "another nice try" by Lexus with the 3-series still seen as the benchmark.

As for RWD, are you forgetting about the NSX?

And you really dog Acura for their "cheap value pricing", but the "anyone" you say can get an Acura can just as easily get a cheap lease on an ES or IS. If you take a step back, you will see that this is simply smart business for Acura the way they are expanding into China and Japan without taking on Lexus head-on. They have ceded that market to Toyota and have found another niche which they feel they can dominate more easily.
Old 12-31-05, 08:17 AM
Order66
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Another useless marketing and publicity attempt which=LMAO.
They should begin by not making every Acura a version of a Civic or Accord.
Then actually figure out "hey, we are the only ******** that don't offer a RWD car"
And "we are the only ******** without a V-8 or larger"

On top of that, its not like Acura is missing sales. With their cheap value pricing, anyone can get one and sales have never been higher. So why do they feel the need to take a jab at Lexus as "luxury only". Did they fogert the SC 300/400, IS 300, GS 300/400/430 and now the IS 250/350?

WTF??? Do u know what a Lexus press release about Acura would say..

Nothing.

They are concerned with true players, BMW and Benz.
I do value your opinions, but sometimes you do need to calm down a little. You seem to feel a need to defend Lexus or constantly say how much better they are then everyone else. I think everyone here knows how good Lexus is. A decade plus of awards and sales success proves it as well.

You speak of Acura/Honda as if they were GM. While Honda has made mistakes with their image and product offerings they have always produced a high quality product. If Acura is not doing something Lexus is doing it is more because they have not done it rather than they can't do it.

Lexus is still the best in the business and their are no contenders on the horizon. Just relax a little more.
Old 12-31-05, 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Order66
I do value your opinions, but sometimes you do need to calm down a little. You seem to feel a need to defend Lexus or constantly say how much better they are then everyone else. I think everyone here knows how good Lexus is. A decade plus of awards and sales success proves it as well.

You speak of Acura/Honda as if they were GM. While Honda has made mistakes with their image and product offerings they have always produced a high quality product. If Acura is not doing something Lexus is doing it is more because they have not done it rather than they can't do it.

Lexus is still the best in the business and their are no contenders on the horizon. Just relax a little more.
take it easy on sick. He is partially right, Honda is now concerned that Lexus is doing so well in Japan (nobody thought it would do that well), so they have to do something. Honda is right too - they dont need to fight with Lexus, they will probably try to be more like BMW.

However, I find it hillarious that Honda is even thinking of doing anything with FWD cars in what is an luxury segment. It wont work, unless they move to RWD.

Look at Alfa's, most beautiful cars in the world, losing money like hot cakes. You cant charge premium for FWD torque steer.

Last edited by spwolf; 12-31-05 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-31-05, 10:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but if the TL was offered with AWD for around 35k, and if RL had an optional v8, they would be hard to resist.
Old 12-31-05, 10:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Order66

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/show...0&page=1&pp=25

Seems even Acura fans know this is more b.s than anything.

This is a good read too, on the RL failing again. Acura diehards know something is wrong, its not me.

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/show...&page=28&pp=25

Last edited by LexFather; 12-31-05 at 10:45 AM.

Old 12-31-05, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
As for RWD, are you forgetting about the NSX?

I agree, but on a technicality. Mike is basically correct. The NSX does not sell ( or is produced ) in numbers high enough to be significant....and a replacement for the existing one, while " confirmed " by Acura sources, in my book is still in doubt. We've seen and heard too many yo-yo ups and down on this. I'll believe it when I see it. Perhaps we'll see something next week at the Detroit show.
Old 12-31-05, 12:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Honda just doens't have sufficient money to really fund Acura to compete but I still love Honda for their innovation and doing things no one else would consider. They didn't make the NSX to make money, but it's *STILL* an unbelievably innovative car given it's built almost entirely of aluminum and is an easy daily driver as well as being an extremely capable sports car.
Old 12-31-05, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Honda just doens't have sufficient money to really fund Acura to compete but I still love Honda for their innovation and doing things no one else would consider. They didn't make the NSX to make money, but it's *STILL* an unbelievably innovative car given it's built almost entirely of aluminum and is an easy daily driver as well as being an extremely capable sports car.
Yes...you certainly have to give Honda engineers credit where it is due....and I say that as a Toyota / Lexus and Subaru fan. Honda engineers not only produce what I think are the best and slickest-shifting FWD manual transmisions and clutches on the planet, but they also seem to have a knack, at least in conventional gasoline-burning engines, to get both horsepower AND mileage. As far back as 1975, we saw the CVCC Civic engine which was the only engine in the American market to met the 1975 emissions rules without the need for a catalytic converter....though of course it was not perfect. It had poor drivability when cold and required extensive warm-ups. Later on, in the 1990's, we saw the advent of VTEC variable valve timing from Honda F1 technology adapted to street engines...technology which virtually every other manufacturer ( except maybe GM with its ancient push-rod engines ) has adopted in one form or another. This produces LOTS of high-RPM horsepower, albeit at the expense of low-RPM torque, but technically gives power and mileage both.
More recently, in 2000, we saw Honda beat Toyota ( slightly, by just a few months ) introducing a hybrid gas-electric drivetrain ( IMA ) into the American market...though, granted, the parallel-hybrid system in the first Prius was more sophisticated and flexible than the simpler series-hybrid Honda system in the Insight and Civic Hybrid. Both Honda and Toyota / Lexus are expanding their hybrid offerings faster than any other manufacturers...the Ford Escape Hybrid uses Toyota technology and equipment under license.
Now....Honda is on the threshold of being the first manufacturer to offer a hydrogen / fuel cell car for general public use...the FCX . Currently it is available only to a few select groups and agencies, but that may soon change as production costs come down. Right now, however, the lack of an extensive nationwide refuelling system for hydrogen is holding up the FCX's production more than the car itself.
Old 01-01-06, 09:57 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seems even Acura fans know this is more b.s than anything.

This is a good read too, on the RL failing again. Acura diehards know something is wrong, its not me.
I still think you're overreacting. What was nice to me about reading those threads you linked was the (mostly) mature, intelligent discussion of the pros and cons of Acura and the RL in particular. The overall attitude that came across was a hopeful wait-and-see, kind of like what I'd expect here if there was an article about a Lexus M/AMG division, for instance. "That would be awesome!" tempered by "But that's not the Lexus we've seen to date, so I'll withhold judgement."
Old 01-01-06, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

agree with what most said here. but on the positive side, i am glad that honda is at least able to read what we have said (or some others) and realized the problem. i just wish them success in able to further out the distance between acura and honda -- they need it bad
Old 01-01-06, 10:50 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RWD, V8, and drop the TL, or completely revamp it. The TL is a hot selling car, but it's a poor example of what Acura stands for. It's an American vehicle, that has the duribility and quality of an American Vehicle. Just read anywhere about the TL's transmission history, 04+ interior quality, and the 04+ tires.

On the plus side, Acura has by far the best nav systems in the world, hands down.
Old 01-01-06, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you have a good point there, tl is selling well and giving honda/acura a lot of revenue, but they really beat down the acura name

and yes, i think lexus should improve their nav by getting more off acura!

Quick Reply: Honda will strengthen Acura's image