Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BBC Top Gear Independent Survey 05. 36 brands, 159 cars, Lexus #1!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 02:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Dont laugh at me, but what is "Gray Import"?
Grey market cars are cars imported legally but not through the main dealers or the car manufacturers. They are usually low volume imports.
Old 12-31-05, 02:41 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and GM also has Vauxhall and Opel to worry about in Europe...
Old 12-31-05, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Nice list. Typical of Lexus. Wasnt Jaguar up there on some quality list this year in the US as well?? I could have sworn Ive seen that.
Jag was up near the top of the list in the mid / late 90's but since has dropped sharply, especially according to Consumer Reports, which I consider the best source available for gauging auto reliability. Part of it has been the effect of the very troublesome and unreliable X-class....a car with a very complex ( for a Jaguar ) drivetrain and rather sloppy quality control.
Old 12-31-05, 04:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Jag was up near the top of the list in the mid / late 90's but since has dropped sharply, especially according to Consumer Reports, which I consider the best source available for gauging auto reliability. Part of it has been the effect of the very troublesome and unreliable X-class....a car with a very complex ( for a Jaguar ) drivetrain and rather sloppy quality control.

Oh, I was thinking about the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study(first 90 Day ownership study etc.) where Jag ranked 2nd this year and 3rd last year.

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases...asp?ID=2005069

http://www.jdpower.com/special/powerreport/jaguar/
Old 12-31-05, 06:32 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! Great Job LEXUS!

Just a question? Maybe i am looking at this the wrong way but I thought LEXUS was NOT selling alot of cars in Europe... but they are still popular there? OR i guess this is a survery of ppl who already own it.
Old 12-31-05, 06:51 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

MB comes very close
Old 12-31-05, 07:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Remember when you had to be rich to own a Mercedes?

Remember when they built them and inspected by hand for quality problems?

Remember when they used top quality parts, some imported materials just so they would be top notch?

Remember when the new CEO took over and put parts in the quality of a cavalier while focusing on sales rather than quality?

ahh.........memories.
Old 12-31-05, 07:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

Remember when they used top quality parts, some imported materials just so they would be top notch?

Remember when the new CEO took over and put parts in the quality of a cavalier while focusing on sales rather than quality?

ahh.........memories.

I sure do remember the last one but i dont remember any of the rest
Old 01-01-06, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

ahh.........memories.
Well, one of the reasons we don't see this any more from M-B is competition from Japanese luxury-car firms. Starting to a slight extent in 1986 with Acura, but MUCH more so in 1990 with Lexus and Infiniti, M-B had some serious competition....and was forced to lower prices to keep pace. Unfortunately, unlike the Japanese firms, M-B was not able to continue produce vehicles with high quality that would sell in the price ranges of the Japanese competition. In the economizing process, electronics and hardware were two of the areas that M-B quality went down sharply.
Now, the news from M-B, quality-wise, though, is not all bad by any means. They still, along with Volvo, make what IMO are some of the most crashworthy vehicles on the planet. The M-B unibody is a marvel of bank-vault-like ruggedness, stiffness, crush-zones, and in the way it protects the cabin in a hard impact. If I was going to have a high-speed accident in any regular passenger car I would prefer it to be either a Mercedes S-Class or a Volvo S80.
Old 01-01-06, 09:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Not surprising that Lexus placed first.

I feel sorry for MB placing so low - I am sure they will address this problem sooner rather than later. It will be tough for them, but this is what they need to get back to the high quality standards they used to have. No doubt it will not be easy for them as costs of producing cars in Germany is very high.

Hey Mike, where did you purchase your subscription for Top Gear mag from? Some British website? I did some searches on google and a few british sites came up but the cost is fairly steep - close to $200.00 for 1 year.......
Old 01-01-06, 10:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow very good news there to lexus, big props and i have to say, while there are a lot more other good cars, i am happy that s2000 won it, it's one incredible car

and mb, tsk tsk tsk.... they need to work hard on the overall pacakage
Old 01-02-06, 01:24 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Pursuit of perfection knows no boundaries!!
Old 01-02-06, 02:41 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Obviously I am an ignorant American as I honestly had NO IDEA what the heck a "Skoda" was

Sounds like a brand of chewing tobacco or maybe something the doctor would need to remove
"hey Sally Sue did ya git me a can of that there skoda"
"sorry sire but it seems that you have a skoda and it will need to be removed immediately"

So, I did a quick google and found out why I have failed to place this manufacturer on my radar... from the Skoda website... "The fastest and most powerful of the Škoda models serially produced to date, the sedan version has acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 sec. and readily reaches a speed of up to 240 km/h; the combi version has acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.5 seconds and reaches maximum speed
of 238 km/h."

Nuff said.
Old 01-04-06, 01:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

The video version of this Top Gear report, thanks to hkis @ my.is. Remember to fast forward to 41 minutes 29 seconds to view.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71070439299421