Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Talking 1SICKREVIEW!! 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack....

One of my girls had an accident in her 03 Celica so she got this SUV as a rental. When I went over her house, I asked to drive the SUV since I never drove one before and outside this situation, would never care to drive it.

First off, I almost could not get myself to drive it. As every time I approached this truck, I either ran away scared or felt the urge to throw up. I've seen ugly cars before, and ugly SUVs and there are a couple chicks I had sex with that I don't brag about or repeat the story. This SUV trumps all that. It is so hideous, I had to get the girl to blindfold me and push me inside the car, where I finally took the blindfold off.

This is one ugly automobile. I says to myself that maybe the designers used THIS SAME BLINDFOLD when they decided to draw this car. Its a mess. Only BMW could be proud.

Inside is barely any better. The gauges and lights inside are a nice blue hue, anything is better than the Nissan Halloween orange. They for some reason think its important to have a giant digital clock on the dash. It WAS NOT a NAV screen. Its a roomy truck, I had tons of room (no sunroof) so that is a good thing. But its like they had 5 designers for the interior
1 for the console
1 for the driver’s dash
1 for the doors
1 for the carpet
1 for the seats

It didn't blend well together at all. No harmony inside.

So its ugly inside and out, how is the drive.

Not bad actually. The 4-speed auto was fine, the HUGE 3.8 liter V-6 had plenty of power. 225hp at 5k rpm and 255lbs torque at 3750rpm sop the range was good too. Having big radials, the ride was smooth ON smooth pavement. As soon as the pavement got rough, forget about it, the ride was HORRIBLE for a new SUV. It looks like engineers did all their testing on smooth roads. As soon as the pavement was not smooth, so did the ride, jittery, loud, ridiculous.

Another thing I did like, at 80 mph, the car cruises at 2800 rpm so it’s quiet and relaxed (engine wise). There was tons of wind noise.

Image and prestige, well, its A RENTAL SUV. So it has none. I think the only people that asked me about this SUV were bigfoot, the lonchness monster and this 80-year-old hooker.

Overall, avoid like the plague unless you get a rebate for $20,000 or something.

Old 12-31-05, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the review Mike...good job as usual.
I hope the girl you were talking about that had the accident was not badly injured, If so, I will pray for her recovery....but from what you say her injuries don't seem serious.

Although beauty, of course, is often in the eyes of the beholder, I agree it's pretty safe to say that the Endeavor is not likely to win any awards for beautiful automotive design. The exterior borrows all 4 fenders from the Jeep Grand Cherokee and its split-grille from both BMW and Pontiac yet somehow does not seem to integrate the total design as smoothly. The interior, while not the ugliest I've seen, is definitely different from the average mid-sized SUV. The big, silver, center-dash projection over the console, in particular, looks like a boom-box from Circuit City.......I hope the stereo and CD player in it doesn't SOUND like one.

I have not reviewed or test-drove this vehicle myself so I'll take your word for how it performs. I do want to say one thing, though, in the Endeavor's defense. It has become fashionable in automotive circles today to bash Mitsubishi. In fact, you and I have done so more than once, and, of course, not without reason. Mitsubishi has been a less-than-perfectly run company, and even corrupt in some ways. And we've debated on whether Mitsubishi or Isuzu will last longer in the American market. But the Endeavor, unattractive as it may be physically, is not a piece of junk, reliability-wise. It is not the most refined vehicle on the market, but it is built pretty well and is not likely to leave you stranded anywhere. Consumer Reports, a company that has not been particularly kind in general to Mitsubishi lately, gives the Endeavor a much-better-than-average reliability rating....up in the same class as many Honda and Toyota products. I myself, even without review and formal test-drive, have brought it up at least once or twice as a less-expensive alternative to the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot, though of course, for the lower price, lacking some of the refinement that the Highlander and Pilot have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-31-05 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-31-05, 10:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the review Mike...good job as usual.
I hope the girl you were talking about that had the accident was not badly injured, If so, I will pray for her recovery.

Although beauty, of course, is often in the eyes of the beholder, I agree it's pretty safe to say that the Endeavor is not likely to win any awards for beautiful automotive design. The exterior borrows all 4 fenders from the Jeep Grand Cherokee and its split-grille from both BMW and Pontiac yet somehow does not seem to integrate the total design as smoothly. The interior, while not the ugliest I've seen, is definitely different from the average mid-sized SUV...the big, silver, center-dash projection over the console, in particular, looks like a boom-box from Circuit City....I hope the stereo and CD player in it doesn't SOUND like one.

I have not reviewed or test-drove this vehicle myself so I'll take your word for how it performs. I do want to say one thing, though, in the Endeavor's defense. It has become fashionable in automotive circles today to bash Mitsubishi. In fact, you and I have done so more than once, and, of course, not without reason. Mitsubishi has been a less-than-perfectly run company, and even corrupt in some ways. And we've debated on whether Mitsubishi or Isuzu will last longer in the American market. But the Endeavor, unattractive as it may be physically, is not a piece of junk, reliability-wise. It is not the most refined vehicle on the market, but it is built pretty well and is not likely to leave you stranded anywhere. Consumer Reports, a company that has not been particularly kind in general to Mitsubishi lately, gives the Endeavor a much-better-than-average reliability rating....up in the same class as many Honda and Toyota products. I myself, even without review and formal test-drive, have brought it up at least once or twice as a less-expensive alternative to the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot, though of course, for the lower price, lacking some of the refinement that the Highlander and Pilot have.
Thanks. The Celica got hit HEAD ON by a Caddy Escalade. The guy ran a stop sign, and ran straight into her drivers side front end as she sat there.

She walked away without a scratch and even more confident in the TOyota product.

Old 12-31-05, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, that is some escape. To be hit in something that small and low by something that big and heavy and then walk away from it...that says something. It also shows how much the work the engineers have been doing on large pickups and SUV's trying to standardize bumper heights and extensions and make them safer in collisions with small cars is paying off. Several years ago, in this type of accident, there was a good chance that the Escalade's high bumper and rigid, truck-type ladder frame would have penetrated the Celica's cabin right at driver's head-height...with predictable results.
Old 01-01-06, 07:02 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that Celica held up pretty well considering it got nailed by a 5,000 lb truck. Glad she's ok.

How much does the endevour cost? I'd have to say I've never seen more than two or three on the road... I know there's more out there, but this is just a vehicle i completely look past. Seems like its pretty mediochre in every category, although that surprised me what mmarshall said about the refinement and such.... i'd have never guessed it, but knowing how knowledgeable he is, I'd take his word.

1SICK, you ever drive her Celica? If so, how does it drive?
Old 01-01-06, 07:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Wow, that Celica held up pretty well considering it got nailed by a 5,000 lb truck. Glad she's ok.

How much does the endevour cost? I'd have to say I've never seen more than two or three on the road... I know there's more out there, but this is just a vehicle i completely look past. Seems like its pretty mediochre in every category, although that surprised me what mmarshall said about the refinement and such.... i'd have never guessed it, but knowing how knowledgeable he is, I'd take his word.

1SICK, you ever drive her Celica? If so, how does it drive?
It costs in teh mid 20s-30s but there are rebates galore.

Hmmm, I never thought of doing a celica review. I've driven it before, let me drive again to refresh my memory. Thanks.

Old 01-01-06, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Seems like its pretty mediochre in every category, although that surprised me what mmarshall said about the refinement and such.... i'd have never guessed it, but knowing how knowledgeable he is, I'd take his word.

?
The Endeavor excels not so much in " refinement " per se but in build quality....it is one of Mitsubishi's most reliable products. But...as Mike pointed out in his write-up, it is not the equal of the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot in things like road and wind noise or general ride quality....and the boom-box dash is certainly not my forte. I recommended the Endeavor only as a reliable but less-expensive and somewhat less-refined alternative to the Highlander / Pilot.
Old 01-01-06, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Hmmm, I never thought of doing a celica review. I've driven it before, let me drive again to refresh my memory. Thanks.
If you are anywhere near my size, you'll need a shoe horn to help you get in and out.
I had a 1995 Celica from 1995-2001....I loved it in spite of it being underpowered, but the 2000-2005 Celica's diminutive size is one reason why ( among several others ) I didn't replace my 1995 with another new one. I was, of course, also enthralled with the new (at that time) Lexus IS300.
Old 01-01-06, 08:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad she is ok... Those Suv's are a dime a dozen down here... everywhere you look there's a damn suv... DOn't get me wrong i love the lexus RX but Mitsu has just taken a wrong turn in the ugley department... That thing looks hidious IMO... to boxy for my taste...at least with the rx you have lines and curves of the vehicle that make it stand out... The mitsu looks to plain....

Glad to see that your back to 1SICKLEX....
Old 01-01-06, 08:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Here in Mexico City, I see these things all over the place and Mitsubishi just moved into the market a few years ago.
Old 01-03-06, 11:13 PM
LextacyGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked in a mitsu dealership for some time (not the highlight of my career) and these vehicles are such slow sellers, mitsu gives $6000 rebates on them. What other car you know that you can go to the dealership and get 25% off without even bargaining? Galant too, $5000 off... theres a reason for that, THESE CARS SUCK! Now if you get right under invoice price and then get that rebate, well whos better than you? At one point one couldve bought a brand new galant for $14,000 with a 10year/100k mile warranty. A lot of reasons to buy this car althought I personally never would, I didnt even like driving them when i got them as DEMOs.
Old 01-04-06, 05:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LextacyGS4
What other car you know that you can go to the dealership and get 25% off without even bargaining? .
Well, you can probably go to an Infiniti dealership right now and get a similiar deal on a Q45....a far more expensive vehicle than any Endeavor. They will do almost anything right now to push Q's out the door....and trust me.....Q45's do NOT s**k.

I understand some of your reasons for having a low opinion of the Endeavor but nevertheless, in spite of it being somewhat wierd-looking and unrefined, it IS well-built mechanically and is a less-expensive but credible alternative to the Highlander and Pilot, and with a far longer warranty. The Hyundai Santa Fe is also a credible alternative, with a similiar warranty, but is a little smaller and does not have quite as much room inside. The new Santa Fe, however, will be stretched and be a true mid-sizer , though....the entry-level slot having been replaced by the Tuscon.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-06 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 08:19 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seeing an Endeavor at the auto show last year.. it wasn't exactly cheap. With all the bells and whistles it was over $35k... I was like WTF??? For THAT?

Of course that didn't account for the rebates available or anything..... I feel bad for the suckers who fell in love with it when it first came out and didn't get any discounts (well not really )

The Endeavor does look like a work of art next to an Aztek or Honda Element - both with all the flat gray plastic lower trim.... (a puke emoticon would normally be used here)