Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saw 2007 S-Class in Person

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 02:48 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Saw 2007 S-Class in Person

Went last night and saw the new S-Class in person at the dealership. Supposedly, they have one in every MB Showroom in the U.S. I have to say that I was very impressed at how good looking it was in person. The fenders were no where near as bad as they look in the pictures. The whole car is gorgeous with the exception of the back-end. The Maybach styling is something that I don't particularly care for.

The car was silver with standard alloy wheels. I bet this car would look great in black with chrome wheels. The AMG package would definitely make this a hit also.

Has anyone else seen the new S-550 in person? Your thoughts?

drink300
2003 LS430 Custom Lux Parch/Ecru
Old 01-01-06, 03:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am currently in EU for holidays and I have seen quite few new S-Classes. They were all V6 diesels or V6 petrol, no V8 so far.

Car looks much bolder and stronger than last gen which is a good thing. The bad thing is that has no elegance of the last one but that is a trade off I guess.

Car looks good overall although it's very conservative, nothing radical except arch fenders which don't look good in my oppinion especially with small rims.

Nice car. Something you would expect from the Benz.
Old 01-01-06, 09:46 AM
Order66
Rookie

I haven't seen one yet, but that light-tone leather with the piano black wood trim would be hard to turn down.

Still going to wait to see what the next LS will be.
Old 01-01-06, 09:52 AM
LexFather

I hope when I finally see it it excites me the like last one. I still remember seeing the last gen for the 1st time, I called my friend and was like' THE S IS HOT!!!".

We'll see

Old 01-01-06, 02:50 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen them, they are already being sold here in Kuwait, my dad already has one on order and should be ariving some time in April, they are alot better looking in real life, and the AMG package sets it off real sporty in an elegant kind of way
Old 01-01-06, 04:24 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So is this going to be an S63 or an S55 AMG? I know I read somewhere that they were looking at redoing the AMG engines
Old 01-01-06, 04:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It better improve in person...cuz from the pics I'm not feeling the new S-class much at all.
Old 01-01-06, 07:11 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRupp
So is this going to be an S63 or an S55 AMG? I know I read somewhere that they were looking at redoing the AMG engines
I'm not feeling this one yet.... i'm with SICK on the previous generation, from the first pictures... not to mention the first siting in person, I fell in love with it. I think the Maybach rear works on the Maybach.... but i'd like to see something a little less conservative for the S-Class although it doesn't have to be flashy per se like the 7-series... the Audi A8L is a good example of what I'm talking about

I'm pretty positive that the AMG version will be S63. They have already developed this brand new 6.3L AMG motor for the new ML63 AMG. Its a pretty nice motor.... its large displacement, high-revving (compared to most V8's), and naturally-aspirated. I think it makes a little more than 500hp. I've also heard that MB will have a second tier of high-end AMG vehicles... kinda like the 65-series now. I've heard Mercedes has trademarked the names S69, CL69, etc.... so we can possibly count on a newer biturbo V12 of about 6.5L, maybe more.
Old 01-02-06, 07:58 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I'm not feeling this one yet.... i'm with SICK on the previous generation, from the first pictures... not to mention the first siting in person, I fell in love with it. I think the Maybach rear works on the Maybach.... but i'd like to see something a little less conservative for the S-Class although it doesn't have to be flashy per se like the 7-series... the Audi A8L is a good example of what I'm talking about

I'm pretty positive that the AMG version will be S63. They have already developed this brand new 6.3L AMG motor for the new ML63 AMG. Its a pretty nice motor.... its large displacement, high-revving (compared to most V8's), and naturally-aspirated. I think it makes a little more than 500hp. I've also heard that MB will have a second tier of high-end AMG vehicles... kinda like the 65-series now. I've heard Mercedes has trademarked the names S69, CL69, etc.... so we can possibly count on a newer biturbo V12 of about 6.5L, maybe more.
S65 first, then S63 in 08.
Old 01-02-06, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i like it more as I see it more often on the streets (much like new Passat). It looks good, not beautiful from all angles, but expensive and thats what matters.
Old 01-03-06, 04:17 PM
jessejames
Rookie

Thumbs down I Saw A 2007 S550

I SAW THE S550 today and it looks ok but ,no sportiness a 87000base car that you have to add a 6000to10000 dollars amg package is f--- ludicrous that you have to add that package to get some type of aggresive look with all that hp what do you guys think
Old 01-03-06, 06:41 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Moved to Car Chat.

If an admin or super-mod sees this, please merge with the following thread....TIA.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193912
Old 01-04-06, 08:14 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jessejames
I SAW THE S550 today and it looks ok but ,no sportiness a 87000base car that you have to add a 6000to10000 dollars amg package is f--- ludicrous that you have to add that package to get some type of aggresive look with all that hp what do you guys think
Not everyone who is going to buy this car is after the agressive look. Keep in mind this is not supposed to be a sporty car. MB buyers who want sporty cars have their choices in the AMG line up and by the way there is an S65 that will hit the US shores this fall. Also the base price is $84,500 not 87,000.

Remember these are Mercedes buyers not people who have to put big wheels on and lower their cars to become satisfied.
Old 01-04-06, 08:29 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car looks pretty nice, but I can honestly care less because I won't be in the market for a car of that caliber especially with their track record.

Does everyone forget how lousy those cars have been rated in the past few years? It's reliability and customer satisfaction has been sub-par.....

Hopefully with this redesign MB gets their act together and not only builds a better looking car, but a better WORKING car.

Don't get me wrong - every car has their issues - but when you pay $80k+ for a vehicle it should set the standard for reliablility.
Old 01-04-06, 09:56 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner

Remember these are Mercedes buyers not people who have to put big wheels on and lower their cars to become satisfied.
i guess that sums up just about everyone here

Quick Reply: Saw 2007 S-Class in Person