Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kudos to GM. This is how you fix an interior.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 06:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You know whats the biggest turn off for me is, in any car? Wheel mounted shifter.
Old 01-06-06, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Those of us old enough to remember GM cars from the 70's and 80's know they had much better interiors than the imports. My 73 and 77 Monte Carlo's had interiors matched by todays luxury imports. Nice to see GM make a step in the right direction for a change. More is needed for them to pull themselves back to respectability.
I'm old enough to remember them very well farther back than that. GM actually did their best interiors, detail-wise, in the late 60's. The full-size cars dropped noticibly in interior quality with the 1971 models and the intermediates, with the 1973 redesigns. The F-Body Camaros and Firebirds lost their high-quality interiors with the mid-year 1970 redesign. The compacts kept it to an extent until the late-70's, and the sub-compact Chevy Vega and Pontiac Astre were junk from Day One.
Old 01-06-06, 09:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I dunno - they both have round gauges and both have vents up top where you want the air to blow. Other than that, I'm not seeing much of the same.
Take notice of the power window switches GM is now using on their vehicles...including placement of winshield wiper, headlight controls and etc. It's a little more than just round guages and vents.
Old 01-25-06, 08:37 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i've never been a big American SUV fan but out of curiosity today i went onto GMC's and Cadillac's site and these things are friggin EXPENSIVE. I cant fathom spending that kind of money on a domestic...wow
Old 01-26-06, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, I've seen them for myself, now ( at the Washington, DC Auto Show )..the new Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade,, and I can second it....for once, GM has FINALLY delivered on the promise of a better interior...and not just a layer of glitz on top of the same old cheap interiors ( which we have seen recently more than once ). The quality of materials underneath on these new SUV's ( not just the surface glitz ), while still not Lexus-grade, is noticeably better than before. Nissan had to learn its lesson in this area, and now hopefully GM is finally starting to learn it.
Old 01-26-06, 09:37 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
Ok i've never been a big American SUV fan but out of curiosity today i went onto GMC's and Cadillac's site and these things are friggin EXPENSIVE. I cant fathom spending that kind of money on a domestic...wow
exactly
Old 01-27-06, 07:09 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What is funny is even as bad as the interiors were, people buy these things in droves. The cars could still use more work.
But its good they are not WAITING to change it and taking steps to fix before it really becomes a glaring problem.

Its not perfect but its MILES ahead of the last one and I am proud of them.
its been a glaring problem for years already. its about time they took their heads out of their asses.