Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kudos to GM. This is how you fix an interior.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06 | 08:37 PM
LexFather

Default Kudos to GM. This is how you fix an interior.

Old Tahoe

New Tahoe

That is a great job and I hope it stands the test of time and holds up well. Great job GM!!
Old 01-02-06 | 08:48 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the old one. That was my biggest gripe with the Escalade.... the interior looked exactly like that crappy old Tahoe interior with a little more wood and leather. Looks like they followed Ford's lead, who proved that it is actually ok to build a domestic truck with a decent looking interior.

Here's the Ford truck interior for comparison....
Old 01-02-06 | 08:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yes, a big improvement, looks much cleaner too.
Old 01-02-06 | 08:59 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

wow... i'm not even a big fan of GM, but that's a NICE improvement! good work fellas. and by fellas, i mean GM. and by GM, i mean the designers. i guess "good job" is the central theme i'm going for here.
Old 01-02-06 | 09:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Yes its a huge improvement. Inside and out. I like the way it looks more than the Yukon or Escalade. Setting out to change the fullsize truck game this year. Hope Toyota can set the var even higher.
Old 01-02-06 | 09:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Very very impressive interior from GM.

That's a really good improvement!
Old 01-02-06 | 10:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is no question that some new GM products have better looking interiors now than just a few years ago. But....the question is.......is it just better LOOKING or better-QUALITY materials being used? Some new GM interiors ( like some new Cadillacs, the Corvette C6, and the Pontiac GTO ) actually show some improvement in the quality of materials used. Others ( like many other Pontiacs ) just simply sugar-coat the same old cheap plastic junk to make it look a little better, Still others ( like the new Buick Lucernes ) show no improvement at all...they look AND feel like junk.

I have not formally reviewed the new Tahoe up close, so I can't yet comment on the actual quality of the materials used in the new interior, but from your posted pictures there it is definitely a visual improvement, big-time...no question about that.
Old 01-02-06 | 11:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

even the plastic texture on the dash looks to be much better quality, what took you so long GM, you've been making the US look like a laughing stock for the last 20 years!
Old 01-02-06 | 11:16 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Finally!!!........But it ain't over just yet!!! This is just one of one million to be rivised.....
Old 01-02-06 | 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wow, i totally agree! the new interior looks soooooo much better, smoother, cleaner, more modern!!!! that's great job!
Old 01-03-06 | 12:49 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

It looks very Saab or Opelish to me, i like it
Old 01-03-06 | 05:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is no question that some new GM products have better looking interiors now than just a few years ago. But....the question is.......is it just better LOOKING or better-QUALITY materials being used? Some new GM interiors ( like some new Cadillacs, the Corvette C6, and the Pontiac GTO ) actually show some improvement in the quality of materials used. Others ( like many other Pontiacs ) just simply sugar-coat the same old cheap plastic junk to make it look a little better, Still others ( like the new Buick Lucernes ) show no improvement at all...they look AND feel like junk.

I have not formally reviewed the new Tahoe up close, so I can't yet comment on the actual quality of the materials used in the new interior, but from your posted pictures there it is definitely a visual improvement, big-time...no question about that.
aditionally, while visually it looks a lot better than before, it still doesnt look great. Looks like they tried to copy VW centre console and added some questionable wood to it...
Old 01-03-06 | 05:32 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

It looks better, well the whole new design looks better.Can't wait to see one on the road in person. Does anyone know what the Denali version looks like?
Old 01-03-06 | 06:04 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Yea that's a big improvement, exterior looks much better too.
Old 01-03-06 | 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This interior DOES LOOK good enough, however, and there seems to be enough interest in it, that it rates a vehicle review. I will put the new Tahoe on my review schedule as soon as it becomes available at dealerships. In the meantime, we can get a good idea of the interior materials just at the upcoming car shows.......a test-drive, of course, is not needed for that.

Quick Reply: Kudos to GM. This is how you fix an interior.