Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possible New Skyline(G35) Coupe on Japanese Magazine Cover(new pics 1/8/06) (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 10:26 AM
LexFather

Default Infiniti Coupe Concept At 2006 North American International Auto Show

Infiniti today unveiled a dramatic new concept vehicle, the Infiniti Coupe Concept, at the 2006 North American International Auto Show. Infiniti also showed the new 2006 FX luxury crossover SUV, which has been refined with exterior and interior enhancements and greater differentiation between the V8-powered FX45 and V6-equipped FX35 models.

The Coupe Concept continues the Infiniti tradition of merging design and performance. It takes Infiniti’s vibrant design vocabulary, which has helped establish Infiniti as one of the most dynamic brands in the luxury market, and elevates it to the next level.

Among the Coupe Concept’s exterior design features are a full-length glass panel roof, modulated front fenders and hood, deep front spoiler and large projector headlights, polished bare metal-look paint, compact camera outside rearview mirrors, hidden door handles and large 20-inch, 9-spoke painted aluminum-alloy wheels.

The Coupe Concept interior combines a performance-inspired cockpit with a luxurious passengers’ space featuring a “double wave” instrument panel design, with large, violet-color gauge illumination and a dramatic, full-length center console. Specially textured aluminum accents project the image of traditional Japanese “Washi” paper, providing an added sense of warmth and crispness.

“The Infiniti Coupe Concept embraces the continuous advancement of Infiniti design with a unique combination of passion, imagination and creativity,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti.

Igo also provided an update on Infiniti business issues, including the fourth straight year of sales records. In 2005, Infiniti sold an all-time high of 136,401 units, an increase of 4.5 percent over calendar year 2004 sales.

“Infiniti sales have been strong across the entire model range,” said Igo. “We’re especially pleased with the acceptance in the marketplace of the all-new 2006 Infiniti M.”

Envisioning the next level of interior design, where all passengers will be provided with equal comfort, roominess and amenities, the Kuraza is marked by six doors – with the 3rd row doors on each side operating from rear hinges – and three rows of large, luxurious side-by-side pairs of individual seats. Kuraza also combines traditional Japanese design cues and extensive use of natural materials. For more information on the complete line of Infiniti luxury vehicles and the Total Ownership Experience (TOE) philosophy, visit Infiniti online at http://www.infiniti.com.

Old 01-08-06, 10:28 AM
LexFather

Looks like they added M45 headlights, CLS sid\eswipe and the Audi RS4 steering wheel. Interior looks nice!
though didn't they just refresh teh G35 last year?

Old 01-08-06, 10:42 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit - 1SICK beat me to it

Some coupe concept pics from Nissan News.

Interior looks good.

Edit - source

Last edited by picus; 01-08-06 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-08-06, 10:48 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Last year was a refresh, this year is a re-design. Last years changes were minor, projector headlights etc...

It'll be interesting to see how much of this design actually makes it to production. I'm sure the interior will be toned down and the glass roof will be gone, but overall it looks good. The interior is what needed the work and they seem to have done it.
Old 01-08-06, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
Last year was a refresh, this year is a re-design. Last years changes were minor, projector headlights etc...
But it looks the same. The roofline and C-pillar are identical. I wonder will they stuff the V-8 in there? I think they will

Old 01-08-06, 10:53 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

haha, dual-thread madness.
Old 01-08-06, 10:55 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
But it looks the same. The roofline and C-pillar are identical. I wonder will they stuff the V-8 in there? I think they will
Ya, when they last interviewed the designer he said something like (this isn't a quote, but close) "we realize we have a successful design so we're going to make subtle exterior modifications". I guess the idea being that they like the design and they want to create some continuity at Infiniti, kind of like how BMW's 3-series always just kind of evolves even after re-designs. I dunno, I kind of agree because I really like the exterior of the coupe.

What really needed the attention was the interior (I think we all agree ), so I am glad that looks very different and much better.

Oh, and I agree - I think we will see a re-tuned V8 from the M45 in there.
Old 01-08-06, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Cool, G35 and G45 then. Sounds good to me.

Old 01-08-06, 11:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I think I like the current one's exterior more already.
I'm sure the interior & the technology will be better though
Old 01-08-06, 11:13 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I think I like the current one's exterior more already.
I'm sure the interior & the technology will be better though
What don't you like about the new one? I can't decide if I like the concept or current one better - I like them both a lot. I'm not crazy about the weird spoiler-thing on the rear deck lid of the new one, but I really like the rockers and side flare.
Old 01-08-06, 11:24 AM
LexFather

What don't you like about the new one? I can't decide if I like the concept or current one better - I like them both a lot. I'm not crazy about the weird spoiler-thing on the rear deck lid of the new one, but I really like the rockers and side flare.
And on the new one the rear talights taper to the body like the 350Z and Maxima.

Old 01-08-06, 11:29 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

the interior looks so damn clean. me likes!
Old 01-08-06, 11:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

What don't you like about the new one? . . ..
The shape of the head lights, the grille & the tail lights are all a step back from the current to my eyes. Still an attractive coupe overall I guess, but not as stunning as when I first saw the current one.
Old 01-08-06, 11:46 AM
LexFather

Well thats gonna help G35 sales.

Old 01-08-06, 11:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Don't think you can easily confuse the 2, but who knows with the eyes of some people , they can't tell anything apart . . .

Quick Reply: Possible New Skyline(G35) Coupe on Japanese Magazine Cover(new pics 1/8/06) (merged)