Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry Named Best-Selling Car in U.S. Again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 07:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Camry Named Best-Selling Car in U.S. Again!

Was there any doubt?

News Link
Old 01-06-06, 08:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how recent magazine comparison reviews all placed the Camry at dead last, and yet the market time and time again proved they had no idea what consumers are looking for in this class.
Old 01-06-06, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I know a lot of you guys like a firm ride with instant steering response, but poll after poll shows one reason WHY, in the last several years, the Camry has outsold the Accord ( which, like the Camry, is another excellent vehicle quality-wise ) is that the Camry is NOT particularly " sporty " or firm-riding, even in the touring-style SE trim. The Camry has been written up in some auto magazines for being " boring " and for driving " like an appliance " but that is obviously one of the things that sells in the marketplace. A LOT of people like the easy-going, comfortable nature of the Camry and find it anything BUT boring. After cross-shopping the firmer and sportier Accord more people decide on the Camry when it is actually time to sign on the dotted line.
Old 01-06-06, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Funny how recent magazine comparison reviews all placed the Camry at dead last, and yet the market time and time again proved they had no idea what consumers are looking for in this class.

Yes...as I showed in my post above, there is often a BIG disconnect between the so-called "enthusiast " auto press and the public-at-large, and what each group places the most emphasis on. Many auto journalists want everything they drive to feel and run like a Corvette or Porsche 911, but with the auto-buying public.....the people actually spending most of the money......it is quite a different matter.
Old 01-06-06, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know a lot of you guys like a firm ride with instant steering response, but poll after poll shows one reason WHY, in the last several years, the Camry has outsold the Accord ( which, like the Camry, is another excellent vehicle quality-wise ) is that the Camry is NOT particularly " sporty " or firm-riding, even in the touring-style SE trim. The Camry has been written up in some auto magazines for being " boring " and for driving " like an appliance " but that is obviously one of the things that sells in the marketplace. A LOT of people like the easy-going, comfortable nature of the Camry and find it anything BUT boring. After cross-shopping the firmer and sportier Accord more people decide on the Camry when it is actually time to sign on the dotted line.
seriously if i am looking for a family economy ride, i would choose the camry hands down, not even a second thought. why would i need the "slightest" sport in that car?? if i want sport i would just get something else
Old 01-06-06, 09:02 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and I liked it even tho it was pretty boring to drive. It takes you from point A to B without BS. One of the most reliable cars out there. Smooth, quiet, and reliable. That's what most buyers wanted and that's what camry is good at.
Old 01-06-06, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, guys.....you two hit the nail on the head. That is what the public is doing.
Old 01-06-06, 09:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Exactly. I don't buy the notion that a car is necessaril y "boring" if it's not sporty.
My Lexus may be "boring" from purely a driver's standpoint, but I still find it very enjoyable & hardly boring as an overall package. I love it for it's luxury, quietness, comfort & smoothness, perfect for a relaxed cruise on the highway. I enjoy it as much as the much more sporty G35c, they are just different & each offer a different kind of satisfaction.
Old 01-06-06, 10:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
My Lexus may be "boring" from purely a driver's standpoint, but I still find it very enjoyable & hardly boring as an overall package. I love it for it's luxury, quietness, comfort & smoothness, perfect for a relaxed cruise on the highway.
I think this is exactly the reason why Toyota and Lexus sells. Anyone can super/turo-charge an engine for sportiness and add aftermarket parts for handling (hell, a Civic can be made better than a Corvette), but you cannot get any better with comfort and smoothness with a stock Lexus.