Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealers / Attitude

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 11:07 AM
ajc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus dealers / Attitude

I'm shopping for either a new IS 250 or G35 and found all the Lexus dealers’ / sales staff has an attitude. The Infiniti dealers and staff are very friendly and helpful. Because of this I believe Lexus portrays a snotty image. I don't have to deal with people like that. Has anyone else come across this attitude?
Old 01-06-06, 12:00 PM
RHS7787
Driver School Candidate

I have ran into my fair share of the snobby ones but the majority of lexus sales staff are usually very polite and easy going. I just bought a GX470 and couldnt have been more happy with my salesman. Dont give up. You will be sure to find one who showes a little more concern for you rather than his/her commision.
Old 01-06-06, 12:17 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

First time I walked into the show room took about 20min for some one to ask me if I need any help, but then again I am only 20 so I guess no one wanted to waist their time with me.

Towards the end of my purchase I came to realize that the sales-people really care about their review that you have to give about your experience at the dealer. He even through in a coffee thermos to influence my review.

But I would have to say my worse experience was at one of the Nissan dealerships I was at when looking at a 350z. BMW was closing up and didnt really seem like they wanted to sqeeze one last sale in.
Old 01-06-06, 01:34 PM
silver250
Driver

its true about those salesmen, not to dog on all of them, but every dealer we went to when i got my is250 did not take us seriously..........especially at westminster lexus, no one even came up to us to help, its so sad that at a place like lexus you have to go up to a salesman to ask for help.....
Old 01-06-06, 01:39 PM
Cypren
Driver

I've generally noticed the same kind of "detachment" at Lexus dealers that I see at BMW, Mercedes and Audi dealers as well -- I typically have to walk up to the receptionist and ask for a salesperson, rather than one just approaching me. This is likely because I'm young (25) and look younger -- not usually the most promising indicator of a buyer (as opposed to joyrider) for a $50k car.

One thing I did notice during my buying experience with Lexus was that once I was working with a sales associate, at no time was I steered towards a "more affordable" model or treated as if I was wasting his time or out of my league when looking at the cars. I can't say the same for my treatment at BMW and Mercedes -- behavior which I find extremely ironic here in Orange County, which probably has a higher population of "next door millionaires" than almost anywhere else in the country. One would think the salesmen would have learned not to be so hasty in sizing up a customer by now.
Old 01-06-06, 03:36 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Not a Lexus specific problem at all. I have had similar encounters at a Ford dealer. The worst in my opinion is when the wife and I go car shopping together and I explain to the salesperson that the car is for her. The mistake they make is directing all the information to me not her. They treat her like she has no say in the purchase. Quite the opposite, if the car is for her she has the say-so on buying. Our Lexus experience is a mixed bag. Initial salesperson was a flake. Would not return calls/emails, bad information, etc. Had a legthy chat with the general sales manager and now have a new salesperson. New person is much better. In fact just called to let us know the car is on schedule and everything looks fine. Should have it around the 21st.
Old 01-06-06, 03:38 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Like everyone else has mentioned it's a mixed bag. I've had really good luck at Lexus dealerships - they've all been very helpful, same with Acura come to think of it. The Infiniti dealership I deal with now is great, but I've been in a few that were standoffish. I'll tell you this much though, I've yet to be in a Benz dealership where they weren't total ******. I guess I'm just unlucky with Mercedes.
Old 01-06-06, 03:38 PM
krs71
Rookie

any dealer that has a hot item in the market, pretty much treat customers like garbage.......because we want something they have and we have to buy at MSRP .........the tables will turn once the market is saturated.
Old 01-06-06, 03:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by krs71
any dealer that has a hot item in the market, pretty much treat customers like garbage.......because we want something they have and we have to buy at MSRP .........the tables will turn once the market is saturated.
Yes I agree that it might have something to do with the fact that the Lexus is brand new & hot right now.
I also think it's more to do with the individual too, I have met good & bad sales person in the same dealership everywhere .
Old 01-06-06, 04:39 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krs71
Just because a car is in hot demand does not mean the sales person is going to treat you like garbage. The sales associate who does, will do it with any car model. When my wife and I bought our 1st lexus in 2000, the sales staff (both salesman & manager) were very courteous and professional. My salesman was also aware of my interest in the new IS300. As soon as the dealership received its 1st two is300’s, my salesman called me to come in for a test drive but also told me straight out that he would not be able to discount the car. He was still very courteous and professional and I never felt that I was treated unfairly. In the end, I drove the IS but ended up getting a super deal on a GS. When ever I bring my cars in for service, I usually see my salesman and he always has time to chat. He knows of my interest in the new upcoming GS460 and I can expect a call as soon as the 1st one comes in. I sure he will say something like “Hey Rich…we just got our 1st GS460…would you like to take it for a test drive? But I want you to know that we can’t offer a discount at this time” I’ll then take him up on the test drive and if I like the car, I’ll probably wait 6 months and then go back when the discounts are available.
Old 01-06-06, 04:40 PM
RA010324
Driver

My Dealer (Johnson Lexus of Durham) was by far the best buying experience I've had. They were super friendly to me every step of the way.
Old 01-06-06, 04:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypren
I've generally noticed the same kind of "detachment" at Lexus dealers that I see at BMW, Mercedes and Audi dealers as well -- I typically have to walk up to the receptionist and ask for a salesperson, rather than one just approaching me.
Most luxury automobile dealership salesmen actually don't approach you. The reason: most people are just browsing because most can't afford it. If people are serious about buying it, they'll ask the salesmen. Most people who browse at expensive cars already know much about it through magazines and the internet.

Imagine a Ferrari dealership. Salesmen will just tire themselves everyday with curious people who visit showrooms with absolutely no intention of buying. So, they wait until you approach them. Now, Lexus or BMW are not as expensive, but compared to Toyota and Honda, they still have a lower volume of sales and a high number of browsers.
Old 01-06-06, 05:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ajc
I'm shopping for either a new IS 250 or G35 and found all the Lexus dealers’ / sales staff has an attitude. The Infiniti dealers and staff are very friendly and helpful. Because of this I believe Lexus portrays a snotty image. I don't have to deal with people like that. Has anyone else come across this attitude?
Well both are ranked high in CSR satisfaction, of course Lexus being #1.
You will find idiots everywhere, I have here in Atlanta, and guess what, they don't get my business. I only deal and recommened Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett b/c they are simply above and beyond everyone I have dealt with at Lexus.

As for Infiniti, I can say I am lucky to get anyone to talk to me, which is funny as they are Faaaaaaaar from a sales success.

I have to say BMW has been mixed with me too.

Benz is the WORST.

VW and Audi, almost as bad.

Those are just my personel experience. As I have gotten older, I rarely go somewhere without knowing someone that knows someone to give me an edge and some help.

Old 01-06-06, 05:16 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Most luxury automobile dealership salesmen actually don't approach you. The reason: most people are just browsing because most can't afford it. If people are serious about buying it, they'll ask the salesmen. Most people who browse at expensive cars already know much about it through magazines and the internet.

Imagine a Ferrari dealership. Salesmen will just tire themselves everyday with curious people who visit showrooms with absolutely no intention of buying. So, they wait until you approach them. Now, Lexus or BMW are not as expensive, but compared to Toyota and Honda, they still have a lower volume of sales and a high number of browsers.
I'm with ya on this one. I don't like to be bugged while shopping at the mall even. If I need assistance I'll just ask for it, I don't get offended if no one approaches me.
Old 01-06-06, 05:18 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that many Lexus salespeople are snoby and arrogant. Just because they have products that sell they seem to think they are special working for Lexus. Its funny because some salespeople talk like they don't want to sell the car or sometimes they seem like they're bragging that they are out of the ISs.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealers / Attitude