Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

key wont turn to start or lock,need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 09:06 PM
crxjim29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key wont turn to start or lock,need help!

I parked my lexus 2000 rx 300 on a slight incline,and pulled the key out before the lock,now im unable to start it or put it in lock,and pull it out,it is stuck, i thought maybe i put it only half way in park,but i can put it in neatral and slam it back in park,and still nothing,i can pull my key all the way out and the radio still plays,and it wont lock,if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it
Old 01-07-06, 09:47 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crxjim29
I parked my lexus 2000 rx 300 on a slight incline,and pulled the key out before the lock,now im unable to start it or put it in lock,and pull it out,it is stuck, i thought maybe i put it only half way in park,but i can put it in neatral and slam it back in park,and still nothing,i can pull my key all the way out and the radio still plays,and it wont lock,if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it
hmmm that's a tuff one... can you start your car and move it? You might need some people to push it up the incline slightly and try again.. perhaps you are in a position that is causing it to stick.
Old 01-08-06, 01:52 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Have you tried moving the steering wheel about a little? Sometimes the steering wheel lock can prevent the ignition from working smoothly.

Give that a shot.

M.
Old 01-08-06, 07:20 AM
crxjim29
Driver School Candidate

the steering wheel is not locked though,has this ever happened to anyone
Old 01-08-06, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As a new poster, welcome to CL.

Ordinarily jiggling the wheel side-to-side while you lightly twist the key back and forth frees it up, but the fact that you say the key comes all the way out and the radio still plays suggests a defective or worn-out igniton switch. You may have to get a tow to the dealership or repair shop.
Old 01-08-06, 12:27 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As a new poster, welcome to CL.

Ordinarily jiggling the wheel side-to-side while you lightly twist the key back and forth frees it up, but the fact that you say the key comes all the way out and the radio still plays suggests a defective or worn-out igniton switch. You may have to get a tow to the dealership or repair shop.
I had a similar problem with my Explorer last year - I was able to get the key in the slot but it wouldn't turn. Tried an alternate key, but it still wouldn't work.

I was told by AAA NOT to have it towed - could ruin the trans since I couldn't shift into neutral. A locksmith came to the parking lot and replaced the ignition mechanism - I had him key it to my current keys and I was able to drive home.

Just a thought on this situation - he mentioned something about pulling the key out too soon. Is it possible some anti-theft mechanism kicked in and needs to be reset???
Old 01-08-06, 01:13 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I was going to suggest the steering wheel as well, another thing to try is your gearshift, make sure it is fully in PARK.
Old 01-08-06, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
I had a similar problem with my Explorer last year - I was able to get the key in the slot but it wouldn't turn. Tried an alternate key, but it still wouldn't work.

I was told by AAA NOT to have it towed - could ruin the trans since I couldn't shift into neutral. A locksmith came to the parking lot and replaced the ignition mechanism - I had him key it to my current keys and I was able to drive home.

Just a thought on this situation - he mentioned something about pulling the key out too soon. Is it possible some anti-theft mechanism kicked in and needs to be reset???
You bring up some good points, especially if the switch can be replaced right there without towing. As far as pulling the key out too soon, though, and screwing up the anti-theft alarm, if the ignition switch is working properly, with an automatic transmission...( standard on the RX )......the key cannot come out at all unless it is first in PARK. Putting the lever in PARK releases a tab-type mechanism that prevents the key from coming out of the slot.

As far as towing goes, I agree don't do it if not necessary but if there is no other choice, a front-drive RX can be towed PROPERLY with the front wheels off the ground and in neutral. An AWD RX ( the vast majority of them ) should have all four wheels off the ground, although I'm not sure if the AWD RX has a mechanism like on Subarus that allow you to disconnect AWD by pulling a fuse...the vehicle then acts like a FWD car.
Old 01-08-06, 08:34 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Well I had the same kind of problem in my LX 470. When I took the key out and got out of my car I hit the steering wheel out of its parked position. So I had to force the key to turn and I was lucky it worked. Wierd story but it happened.

Play with it a little or call the Lexus dealer.