Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got my first ticket with the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 08:20 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
the car is so smooth that you can easily go 80+ on the freeway and think that you are only going 60. After 1 month in the IS, I drove my RX330 yesterday and was surprised at how much rougher and noisier (engine/road noise) the RX was compared to the IS.
I know what you mean, I drove my girlfiend's Civic over the weekend and found myself going 10 under (45 in 55) and didn't relize it until I was passed. The IS is so smooth and quiet, you don't know how fast your going. You got to thank the Lexus enginers for the adjustable speed warning indicator.
Old 01-09-06, 09:51 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skulinex
now tell me you were at probetalk and you'll be the 5th person so far in this forum that was a former probe owner...

about the ticket, be glad and happy he let you go with that, my gf got one like that but it was 45 on a 35, the cop bumped it 1mph to 46 which put her on the next braket and $100 more

Ha ha.... well I wasn't at probetalk... but I definitely couldn't get enough of that car. I did also own a used Eagle Talon AWD TSI, for a while now THAT was a fast 2.0 engine, to 60 in 6.3 seconds!
Old 01-09-06, 01:12 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jherb350
You got to thank the Lexus enginers for the adjustable speed warning indicator.
Easily the best feature of this car.
Old 01-09-06, 06:21 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
Easily the best feature of this car.
Yeah, I've gotta set mine LOW, half because this car is so smooth at triple digits and the other half because I like to see the organge light turn red at 20mph over the setting!
Old 01-12-06, 08:43 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
If he took you from 65 in a 45 all the way down to 54 in a 45, he was really being nice.

In Kansas, you have to go 10 or more over the speed limit to affect your insurance. Cops can write a 56 in a 55, but it won't count for insurance purposes. Also I believe it has to be over 45mph, too.
Ok so I got a ticket driving through Kansas last week (Driving from Colorado to Wake Forest Univeristy in NC) going 88 in a 70..... since my car is reg in CO will it still affect my insurance? Someone else was driving my car an hour later and got pulled over for going 4 mph over and the cop was just "curious"....gotta be careful driving through Kansas, cops are like sharks out there...
Old 01-12-06, 08:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You guys need to move to central Mexico. The cops never mess with us.
Old 01-12-06, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jherb350
You got to thank the Lexus enginers for the adjustable speed warning indicator.
The idea is nothing new. Buick ( yes.....BUICK ) had a mechanical speed-warning indicator back in the 50's and 60's. It was an adjustable, ****-operated needle with a little yellow ball on the tip of it for visibility that sat inside the speedometer. You twisted it around with the **** to where you wanted to set it. When you reached that speed a buzzer would go off.
Old 01-12-06, 02:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The idea is nothing new. Buick ( yes.....BUICK ) had a mechanical speed-warning indicator back in the 50's and 60's. It was an adjustable, ****-operated needle with a little yellow ball on the tip of it for visibility that sat inside the speedometer. You twisted it around with the **** to where you wanted to set it. When you reached that speed a buzzer would go off.
If I recall, while not as long ago as this Buick my E36 BMW OBC also had a programable speed warning indicator. You programed what speed you wanted the warning buzzer or chime to go off and it would do so when you went over that speed. I never used it not even once Persoanlly, I think those things are useless. The only time I don't know what speed I'm going is when I get pulled over for speeding and I tried to use that as an excuse.
Old 01-12-06, 03:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Methinks the cop subconsciously wanted to stop and see his New IS.
Old 01-12-06, 11:21 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I always look at the settings as more of a reminder, but I think ala BMW they should beep or if you're REALLY serious about not speeding, they should limit the engine throttle. That'll teach ya.

BTW, I can't believe how fast this car is!
Old 01-13-06, 03:31 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

you have to remember that this people are content to live a life that is average at best income wise.

Even though in this society its more then possible to better oneself financially wise. (although this process still takes time.)

No matter Id at least fight the ticket. Heck Id rather pay an attorney a l fee then to give the money to the court and police department that cited you and is forcing people to fork money or else.

I just have a problem with the current traffic law system and the way the penalties are set whenever they decide someone is not following those said rules. Think about it, the fines are set at just the right amount, amount that contributes significantly and directly to the county and the police department that cited you, but not to high as to encourage most people to fight or contest the tickets, they make it to convenient for you to forsake your rights and just plead guilty or no contest and make you think that if you fight it it will cost you more and the penalties will be more severe.

Why do I think traffic penalties are a sham?

1. For every guilty verdict the county, the police department and the court benefit directly. In any other bussiness this would be a clear conflict of interest. And makes me question how ethical and fair courts could possibly be due to this conflict of interest. Not to mention that there have been reports that police departments in various cities have required cops to fill certain quotas when it comes to traffic citations.

Solution? I believe itd be a more fair system if penalties instead being determined by fines and given to the county were served in such a way that would not directly influence the way citations are given and the way rulings are made. Possible alternatives could be..
A. Instead of fines have people serve community service instead.
B. If they can't serve community service do offer a option to pay a fine, but have that money be given to the state directly,the local county should not see that money ever. Rather money collected this way would distributed to counties based on population. This would directly discourage any corrupt practices of demanding quotas for example.

If safety and "saving lives" is truly the concern behind the multibillion dollar revenue that traffic fines gives then I propose that there should not be a blanket punishment or set punishment for speeding or like wise offense. Just like any other criminal offenses (traffic citations are considered criminal offenses.) The circumstances of each case should be considered carefully before giving out a punishment (off course after determining that the person was indeed guilty.)

For example someone going 100 mph in a 75 mph highway at 4 am at nite in middle of nowhere should not face the same penalty as someone zig zagging in rush hour traffic at same speed in a congested area.

2 people racing middle of nowhere should not face the same penalty as 2 idiots racing in rush hour traffic, etc etc etc.

Also there should not be such a biased focus into speeding, rather all forms of unsafe driving should be targeted. Imo, someone traveling 45 mph in a 75 mph highway should at least be cited just as well someone going 105 in a 75 would be. Speed itself does not kill, contrary to what is popular belief, but rather difference of speed is what is dangerous.

Right now there is a huge wave and crack down on "street racers" which in my experience has boiled down to outright profiling and discrimination of any person under 35 with a "nice or flashy " vehicle.

I dare ask why is there not a crack down on unsafe driving and inattentive driving with people that are no longer physically capable of driving? I havent seen any officer pull down that sweet old lady that is driving between lanes 15 mph under the speed limit. Imo this is just as a big of a risk if not greater then your average stop light brawl.

The reason why this is not persecuted as much as the speeders and younger crowd in general probably has more to do that the older crowd are more politically active and are wealthier thus targeting them would mean less votes to the local politicians.

In short when it comes to current way traffic law is handled and the current way some officers comport themselves I give it a big

BTW if you wanted to be an ******* back to the cop, you could report the cop on his profesionalism based on that comment he made. To me such remarks show he was profiling against younger drivers and nice vehicles.
Old 01-13-06, 08:52 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

who was it that pulled you over? it couldn't have been cspd, they're douches. DPD is usually pretty good, APD varies (even though i've never had a good experience with 'em).

hehe, as far as Kansas goes, they have nothing else to do out there.
Old 01-14-06, 09:02 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Originally Posted by Morrissey
Yeah I was thinking about the ticket I just got during lunch and I think I should be fine. It's only 1 point on my license, and the fine was only $55.

If I get a nice DA he/she might even cut me a break and not asses my license any points. The DA wouldn't know that the cop gave me a break. For all they know, I was actually going 54 in a 45. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd ultimately like to get a deal from the DA not to get any points on my license, because that translates to a higher insurance premium, but we'll see.
I don't know if this applies to you in Colorado but you can ask and find out. Three years ago I got a ticket going 89mph in a 70 zone. After asking friends I was advised to go to court and plead "No Contest" that way no points would be added to my record. All what it took was a couple of hours in court. My insurance still went up but it would have been even higher if there were points added. Might be worth it to you to ask and find out if you can do this.
Old 01-14-06, 12:36 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
I don't know if this applies to you in Colorado but you can ask and find out. Three years ago I got a ticket going 89mph in a 70 zone. After asking friends I was advised to go to court and plead "No Contest" that way no points would be added to my record. All what it took was a couple of hours in court. My insurance still went up but it would have been even higher if there were points added. Might be worth it to you to ask and find out if you can do this.
Thats terrible advice!

Pleading no contest and pleading guilty are almost the same thing. Generally speaking when people plead no contest theyre given the same penalty as pleading guilty!

The only reason your insurance went up is because points were given to you! How else would of they known you got a ticket? Contrary to popular belief insurance companies are not notified automatically whenever somoene gets pulled over! You should really check you driving record, if you find any type of citation there.... that means you were pretty much given the full penalty.

It couldnt hurt to ask around for a lawyer how much to fight a ticket. The less money greedy counties and pd's get from form of extortion that is known as "Speed enforcement" The better. dont even get me started on how even insurance companies are in this scam as well..
Old 01-14-06, 12:55 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats right

Quick Reply: Got my first ticket with the IS350