Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got my first ticket with the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 01:57 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got my first ticket with the IS350

My fault really. The speed limit was 45 mph and I was clocked at going 65 mph (although I'm sure the cop was wrong, because it seemed like less than that). Regardless, it was my fault because I was too busy fiddling with my iPod to notice I was going fast. I also forgot to put my Valentine One radar/laser detector back up after detailing my car, which is another mistake because I probably could have slowed down sooner.

The cop could have given me a 6 point ticket (in Colorado, if you're speeding 20 mph over the limit, it's 6 points), but I was pretty nice to him and he knocked it down to 1 point (the ticket says I went 54 mph in a 45 mph zone).

One thing that irked me about the cop was he said "Man, how can you afford a car like this?". I'm 23 and so I think he was jealous that I'm driving a Lexus IS350. It offended me a bit, but I didn't argue with him since he reduced the ticket down to 1 point.

Moral of the story: this car goes fast, so be smart with your speed!
Old 01-08-06, 02:28 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks you got popped. My friends and co-workers have a pool going to see when I will get my first ticket... I'm 23 as well and luckily I haven't gotten one yet. It just soooo easy to go fast in this car and not even realize it. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad.
Old 01-08-06, 02:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrissey
Moral of the story: this car goes fast, so be smart with your speed!
Sorry about the ticket. You took the correct approach by being nice to the cop. I've never heard of anyone getting out of a ticket by arguing with, confronting, or otherwise antagoning an officer. I've found that the best approach is to be extremely apologetic (without actually admitting that you committed the infraction), extremely respectful (cops have big egos), and don't forget to ask for a break.

Also, not to be preachy, but if you are going to fiddle with the iPod, consider waiting until you are stopped at a traffic light. Be glad it was a cop that you missed seeing, and not some kid chasing a ball into the street. Yesterday some woman was so busy with her cell phone that she nearly backed into me in parking lot -- which really would have hurt, as I was a pedestrian at the time.
Old 01-08-06, 02:37 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Yeah I was thinking about the ticket I just got during lunch and I think I should be fine. It's only 1 point on my license, and the fine was only $55.

If I get a nice DA he/she might even cut me a break and not asses my license any points. The DA wouldn't know that the cop gave me a break. For all they know, I was actually going 54 in a 45. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd ultimately like to get a deal from the DA not to get any points on my license, because that translates to a higher insurance premium, but we'll see.
Old 01-08-06, 02:48 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he took you from 65 in a 45 all the way down to 54 in a 45, he was really being nice.

In Kansas, you have to go 10 or more over the speed limit to affect your insurance. Cops can write a 56 in a 55, but it won't count for insurance purposes. Also I believe it has to be over 45mph, too.
Old 01-08-06, 02:55 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

"Man, how can you afford a car like this?". I'm 23 and so I think he was jealous that I'm driving a Lexus IS350. !
I am... heck at 23, I was driving a Ford Probe GT

Still, sorry about your ticket man! Be careful out there!
Old 01-08-06, 03:02 PM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

If I get a nice DA he/she might even cut me a break and not asses my license any points. The DA wouldn't know that the cop gave me a break. For all they know, I was actually going 54 in a 45. Either way, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd ultimately like to get a deal from the DA not to get any points on my license, because that translates to a higher insurance premium, but we'll see.
I've had a ticket in the past that was knocked down, and in the corner of it was my actual speed in a circle, I'm assuming it was there if I decided to fight. If you decide to fight, don't be surprised if the cop shows up and remembers you were doing 65.
Old 01-08-06, 07:15 PM
berg7445
Rookie

I used to have a Probe GT too. Fast little car until the transmission basically decided that it wanted to buck when shifting all the time and then basically fell out of the car.
Old 01-08-06, 07:40 PM
dlomshek
Rookie

Default It's Valentime time.

Morrissey:

Time to get a Valentine-1 It'll save your A$$! Mine has save me so many times I can't count 'em.
It's always my faithful companion.
Old 01-08-06, 07:43 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomshek
Morrissey:

Time to get a Valentine-1 It'll save your A$$! Mine has save me so many times I can't count 'em.
It's always my faithful companion.
Read Morrissey's original post more carefully. Here already has a Valentine 1, he just didn't put back after detailing the car.
Old 01-08-06, 07:49 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the ticket, it's just to easy to go fast in this car and not realize it.

Originally Posted by Payam
That sucks you got popped. My friends and co-workers have a pool going to see when I will get my first ticket... I'm 23 as well and luckily I haven't gotten one yet. It just soooo easy to go fast in this car and not even realize it. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad.
That's funny, if you do get a ticket hope you get a percentage of the winnings.
Old 01-09-06, 12:23 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by berg7445
I used to have a Probe GT too. Fast little car until the transmission basically decided that it wanted to buck when shifting all the time and then basically fell out of the car.
LOL, what year did you have... great car. My 89 was fast, one of the first cars with a turbo and cd player in the dash, my 96 and 99 were fun for a v-6 manual---ala Mazda Mx-6. Just not so reliable, still from 20-ish to 23, it was still good!
Old 01-09-06, 03:47 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

now tell me you were at probetalk and you'll be the 5th person so far in this forum that was a former probe owner...

about the ticket, be glad and happy he let you go with that, my gf got one like that but it was 45 on a 35, the cop bumped it 1mph to 46 which put her on the next braket and $100 more
Old 01-09-06, 06:41 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

the car is so smooth that you can easily go 80+ on the freeway and think that you are only going 60. After 1 month in the IS, I drove my RX330 yesterday and was surprised at how much rougher and noisier (engine/road noise) the RX was compared to the IS.
Old 01-09-06, 07:51 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
the car is so smooth that you can easily go 80+ on the freeway and think that you are only going 60. After 1 month in the IS, I drove my RX330 yesterday and was surprised at how much rougher and noisier (engine/road noise) the RX was compared to the IS.
Totally. It's amazing how smooth this car is. I really couldn't tell I was going 65 mph! I'm usually more careful with my speed.

I am pretty lucky he knocked my ticket from the dreaded 6 points to just 1 point. Most likely I can get the entire thing tossed out of court and just pay the fines.

It's still pretty funny how the cop reacted to my car. After he asked how I could afford the car, I told him I was a software engineer. He was like "Oh, my brother is a software engineer and he can't afford this". What kind of response is that from a cop!!! I think it's pretty rude if you ask me. None of his business how much I make or what I do with my money

Quick Reply: Got my first ticket with the IS350