Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Toyota Camry official press at NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 09:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
That when powered up, the Lexus unit displays a huge Lexus logo in the middle of the screen?

I honestly do not expect them to be any different, except for the LS460 which will be the first among Toyota/Lexus vehicles to incorporate real-time traffic data.
i am not sure, european toyota's already have traffic avoidance features. it is not problem of technology, but of data provider. Didnt someone post in IS thread saying how in Acura, traffic avoidance is not useful at all, at least in his area (LA) because provider is slow with the updates...
Old 01-16-06, 09:55 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is it just me or a loaded Camry makes some entry level luxury cars and even cars like the Maxima, Passat etc like they need to seriously step their game up?
It is a one upmanship game. Those cars made the old Camry look like it needed to step up its game. Which they did!
Old 01-16-06, 12:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Didnt someone post in IS thread saying how in Acura, traffic avoidance is not useful at all, at least in his area (LA) because provider is slow with the updates...
Well in the LA area the screen should just say "get out and walk it'll be faster".

Also, does it track car chases, drive by shootings as well?
Old 01-16-06, 03:23 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well in the LA area the screen should just say "get out and walk it'll be faster".

Also, does it track car chases, drive by shootings as well?
Have you ever been on Sunset Blvd. on a weekend night? Yah, get out of the car and walk and you'll get there faster...its terrible.
Old 01-16-06, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
Have you ever been on Sunset Blvd. on a weekend night? Yah, get out of the car and walk and you'll get there faster...its terrible.
isnt the whole point of sunset blvd. cruising around, showing your ride? :-).
Old 01-16-06, 03:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

isnt the whole point of sunset blvd. cruising around, showing your ride? :-).
Maybe not the Camry; not even the next-gen Camry.

But if it's a Camry ricer that looks like a Camry-for-a-Hooker/Pimp, well, o.k...
Old 01-16-06, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Maybe not the Camry; not even the next-gen Camry.

But if it's a Camry ricer that looks like a Camry-for-a-Hooker/Pimp, well, o.k...
Bwaha - yeah baby... cruisin' in the Camry! Bling, bling.
Old 01-17-06, 11:48 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Edmunds says less than 9 seconds 0-60 for the Hybrid.

I was hoping for a bit faster, perhaps upper 7s. I guess given the 3600+ pound weight it makes sense.

So I guess the hybrid won't offer any performance advantages over the 4 cyl?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108838
Old 01-17-06, 12:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
Edmunds says less than 9 seconds 0-60 for the Hybrid.

I was hoping for a bit faster, perhaps upper 7s. I guess given the 3600+ pound weight it makes sense.

So I guess the hybrid won't offer any performance advantages over the 4 cyl?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108838
hybrid will spank previous Camry V6 in any in gear acceleration test (50-70, 80-100, etc). It has very nice electric engines...
Old 01-17-06, 12:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Why debate about how fast it will be now ? We'll know when it actually comes out & tested.

They say the IS350 will do 0-60 in "less than 6 sec." before it's launched, it turned out it's capable of low 5's (5.1 & 5.2 sec. from 2 magazines), whether it can do upper 7's or low 8's remains to be seen . . .
Old 01-17-06, 12:37 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

hybrid will spank previous Camry V6 in any in gear acceleration test (50-70, 80-100, etc). It has very nice electric engines...
What's the primary reason for this? Downshift lag in a traditional transmission?

Also, how about vs. the 2007 Camry V6?
Old 01-17-06, 01:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
What's the primary reason for this? Downshift lag in a traditional transmission?

Also, how about vs. the 2007 Camry V6?
As much as I know, normal 50-70 mph measurment doesnt take in account transmission lag.
Nevertheless, the reason is combined power of 2.4cly and 145hp electric engine. Electric engines give torque instantly, making it very straight torque and power curve.

This is why RX400h has better in gear times than its V8 competitors, despite them having more hp and better 0-60 times. ECU in hybrids is tuned so it doesnt deliver all power at start to prevent wheelspin in FWD models.

Electric engine in Camry is about twice as powerful than the one in Prius, and almost as powerful as RX400h's. It also has improved battery back (bigger and 650 volts, as supposed to 500v in Prius).

By all means, it should be quite nice. Of course, they tuned it to get more mpg, as supposed to RX400h's power.

As to the V6 in new Camry, I guess we will see about that. I doubt it will be as fast as that - 0-60 in Camry should be in low 6's, and C&D should brake below that mark (they did 6 in Avalon, which is still heavier), but it might be fast enough for people to say they dont need V6...

I think many people will be suprised at how good Camry Hybrid is.
Old 01-17-06, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Why debate about how fast it will be now ? We'll know when it actually comes out & tested.

They say the IS350 will do 0-60 in "less than 6 sec." before it's launched, it turned out it's capable of low 5's (5.1 & 5.2 sec. from 2 magazines), whether it can do upper 7's or low 8's remains to be seen . . .
and personally i find it pretty funny to talk about acceleration in the *camry*
Old 01-17-06, 01:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
and personally i find it pretty funny to talk about acceleration in the *camry*
true, but it shows how far it has come - when camry gets better 0-60 than many sports sedans (hello certain fans of certain brands that are waiting for certain new engines), its not that funny. Well, it is funny that at stoplight, some granma will kick *** of 99% of 3 series on the road today :-).
Old 01-21-06, 08:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota says new Camry's early arrival will help automaker maintain edge

Toyota says new Camry's early arrival will help automaker maintain edge
By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 01/20/06, 9:15 am et

OJAI, Calif. -- A redesign of the Toyota Camry, which defines the American family sedan, will arrive in March, more than six months ahead of Toyota's typical schedule.

Toyota, Honda and other leading automakers usually redesign important vehicles every five years. The faster schedule gives Toyota another edge in its relentless drive to boost sales in the United States.

Not a rush job
This is not a hurry-up job, either. Toyota planned on a 4½-year cycle for the current Camry when engineers started work on the 2007-model redesign in 2002.

"To maintain the edge over our competition, there is an initiative to reduce development times," Jim Press, president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., said at a press event here. "It plays out as a competitive advantage. Fresh bread is always easier to sell."

The Camry has been the best-selling car in America for four straight years and for eight of the last nine years. Given that the Camry is in the last year of its model cycle, yet with incentives that rarely crossed the $1,000 plateau, that win streak is formidable.

How big a seller is Camry? Toyota estimates that 5 million Camrys are in operation in America. That's more Camrys buzzing around America's roads than all the cars Hyundai Motor America still has running since it started business in 1986 - 4.3 million.

With a new Camry Hybrid also available this summer, Toyota expects incremental gains to boost annual Camry sales to about 450,000 units. Toyota sold 431,703 Camrys in 2005 - the most of any car in 20 years in the United States.

About 85 percent of Camry sales are sedans. The remainder are Solara coupes and convertibles.

While some automakers struggle to make money on family sedans, the Camry may be the biggest contributor to Toyota's U.S. bottom line, says Joe Phillippi, analyst with Auto Trends consultancy in Short Hills, N.J.

"Camry is the franchise," Phillippi says. "Standard volume is 75 percent of plant capacity. If Toyota is filling the plant, or running overtime, they make a hell of a lot of money at those volumes. Doing that allows them to subsidize development of niche vehicles like the FJ Cruiser."

The FJ Cruiser is a new Toyota SUV that is due in March.

Toyota says the price of the redesigned Camry will be similar to the price of the current model. The difficulty is that the new base model, the CE, comes with as many standard features as the outgoing mid-range LE trim level.

'Some kind of price-up'
"Knowing all we put into the car, plus increased raw material costs, we'll have to see some kind of price-up," says Jim Lentz, Toyota Division general manager. "We'd love to keep the pricing even, but I just don't see it."

The current Camry's base price is $19,025, including destination.

Press says Toyota is changing its idea of what a base model car entails. In the past, base model volume has been "negligible," Press says.

Rather than a stripped model that dealers advertise to lure people into the dealership, the base model will be a value leader. That may mean a higher base price, "but it's better to offer that than a car that no one wants," he says.

Even though the Camry will not go on sale until March, Toyota will begin marketing the 2007 model in January.

Lentz predicts the Camry launch "will be the biggest launch Toyota has had in our nearly 50 years of existence."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60116018/1041

Quick Reply: 2007 Toyota Camry official press at NAIAS