Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Kia Optima Official Pics and Specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 10:17 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Kia Optima Official Pics and Specs

I like that they went with the 2.7L V6. It might seem underpowered, but the Sonata has the 3.3L anyway. It's a good way to attack this segment.... more engine variation, mpg, and price differentiation.

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=2382286

http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/.../Kia%20Optima#
Old 01-10-06, 08:15 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to take a ride in one of those the other day (now if I could only make friends over at Lexus HQ, too) and I'd have to say I was quite impressed. The one I rode in seemed to be a mid trim level, but it was still plenty comfortable. I'm still not sure I'd trust the long-term reliability, but at first glance it seems like a great deal.
Old 01-10-06, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
I'm still not sure I'd trust the long-term reliability, but at first glance it seems like a great deal.
It's not quite a Camry yet but you can trust its reliability far more than in the past.
Old 01-10-06, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Some nice pictures, jrock.

The Optima has not been particularly popular, does not get a lot of attention in the auto press, and in general has been overshadowed recently by its cousin ( and platform-mate ) Hyundai Sonata. Like the Sonata, the Optima in the past has been a good deal...even more so considering that lower demand for it compared to the Sonata makes Kia dealerships more willing to bargain....and Kias share the Hyundai 10 / 100 and 5 / 60 warranties.
I like this new design.....I was not particularly impressed with the old one, though even the old one was a giant step up in quality from the junk that Kia was building in the 1990's. I plan to look the new Optima over throughly at the D.C. Auto Show Jan. 24 and may test-drive one......I recently reviewed the new Sonata and for the most part was impressed with it.
Old 01-10-06, 08:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

blah, Sonta not only looks much, much better, it has much better engine too.
Old 01-10-06, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
blah, Sonta not only looks much, much better, it has much better engine too.
Well, at least you are changing your attitude toward some of the Hyundais .....that's a step up.
Old 01-10-06, 08:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, at least you are changing your attitude toward some of the Hyundais .....that's a step up.
oh, I like Sonata :-). Keep in mind we sell them (as well as Toyota). Sonata is definetly an turnaround for Hyundai. Expect great things from Santa Fe too.

I dont think they have a clue where they are going with this Kia vs Hyundai marketing. First they say Kia will be sportier, then Optima looks like 1990's bland car of the year, with 10 year old engine. On the other hand, Sportage looks a lot sportier than Tucson.
Old 01-10-06, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
oh, I like Sonata :-). I dont think they have a clue where they are going with this Kia vs Hyundai marketing. First they say Kia will be sportier, then Optima looks like 1990's bland car of the year, with 10 year old engine. On the other hand, Sportage looks a lot sportier than Tucson.
True, but with the possible exception of the V6 Tiburon, people generally don't buy either Hyundais or Kias for so-called "sportiness"...and even the V6 Tiburon is not particularly hard-edged compared to most of its competition. Lately, Kias have been marketed as a slightly sportier alternative to some of the more appliance-like Hyundais ( especially the new Sportage) but the Optima.....the subject of this thread.......certainly was not in that category, and you and I both know that neither the Optima or Sportage is exactly a BMW.
Old 01-10-06, 09:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but with the possible exception of the V6 Tiburon, people generally don't buy either Hyundais or Kias for so-called "sportiness"...and even the V6 Tiburon is not particularly hard-edged compared to most of its competition. Lately, Kias have been marketed as a slightly sportier alternative to some of the more appliance-like Hyundais ( especially the new Sportage) but the Optima.....the subject of this thread.......certainly was not in that category, and you and I both know that neither the Optima or Sportage is exactly a BMW.
right, but it doesnt have to be BMW, just sportier. It seems that at the end, they went with cheaper :-).

Too bad, since interior is actually nicer then Sonata's... If you gave me Sonata looks and engine, with Optima interior, it would be one nice package overall. Although I still think Hyundai does not cover details as good as new Toyota's.
Old 01-11-06, 04:23 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The strong point of this car will be price ... a lot cheaper for the same quality, reliaibility (hopefully) and room as the Camry and Accord.

I wouldn't be surprised if the street price of a fully loaded Optima EX V6 w/ leather is the same as an Accord LX and Camry LE.