Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New EPA Ratings for 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06 | 07:59 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb New EPA Ratings for 2008

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-01-10-epa-fuel-economy-ratings_x.htm

EPA to lower fuel economy ratings for 2008
By John Heilprin, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON — Consumers may be in for a different kind of sticker shock starting with 2008 model cars, trucks and SUVs.

Fuel economy ratings on the stickers of new models would drop an average of 10% to 20% in city driving for most 2008 models, and 5% to 15% in highway driving, under testing changes the Environmental Protection Agency proposed Tuesday.

Gas-electric hybrids will be more affected, with ratings for city driving decreasing an average of 20% to 30%. Those models are due to appear in showrooms in the fall of 2007.

EPA's new fuel economy estimates will include vehicle-specific data from tests designed to reflect more accurately high-speed driving, rapid acceleration, use of air conditioning and cold temperatures, the agency said.

EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson said the agency intends "to empower consumers with the most accurate information possible about a vehicle's fuel economy," including more details about the effects of "power-hungry accessories" used to lower windows, adjust seats, even play DVDs while driving.

"They can be confident those estimates more closely reflect real-world conditions," Johnson said.

Congress ordered the changes in its energy bill last year, responding to consumer complaints that the fuel economy they get is often less than advertised. It is the first time EPA has revised its fuel economy ratings in 20 years.

EPA said it also plans to redesign the stickers so they are more consumer-friendly.

Despite the lower ratings overall, Johnson said the test results will not be used to gauge whether automakers comply with the law requiring the U.S. fleet have an average fuel economy of 27.5 miles per gallon for cars and 21 mpg for light trucks.

That's because the Corporate Average Fuel Economy program run by the Transportation Department uses separate requirements to determine vehicles' fuel economy, he said.

"It's obvious that the driving world has changed a lot since 1985," said Johnson, who noted that 20 years ago he proudly drove a full-size coupe Pontiac Catalina back and forth to work. "My car really would not match up to today's vehicles."

Fred Webber, president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, said the industry supports EPA's proposal and helps the agency adjust the new vehicle window stickers. But he, like the agency, cautioned that real-world conditions will vary from driver to driver.

"Mileage varies due to weather, road conditions, obeying the posted speed limits, tire inflation and other vehicle-maintenance conditions," Webber said.

Joining EPA in making the announcement was the American Automobile Association, which pushed for improvements.

"Consumers want to know that the information they see on a government-sanctioned label reasonably reflects what they will experience on the road," said AAA president Robert Darbelnet.
Old 01-10-06 | 08:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

It would be good to correct it for "real-world" conditions. I mean, who has ever gotten the 60 mpg that the Prius offers in the city? I have averaged approx 44 mpg (city and highway) when I rented it for a week.
Old 01-11-06 | 02:58 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Wow , fuel ratings based on real driving conditions ,what a concept

It's about freacking time.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It would be good to correct it for "real-world" conditions. I mean, who has ever gotten the 60 mpg that the Prius offers in the city? I have averaged approx 44 mpg (city and highway) when I rented it for a week.
You're right on track. 45 is what most people get with the Prius most of the time.

EPA ratings...and real-world results as well..... are different for cars like the Prius and other Hybrids than for conventional vehicles because in stop-and-go driving in city conditions the gas engine often shuts off and / or you are using the electric motor more.....which of course, lowers gas consumption in the city. That is why Hybrid EPA ratings are usually lower on the highway than in town...the gas engine runs more. If you want max mileage from a Pruis the key is to use the electric motor as much as possible and the gas engine only to recharge the batteries and keep the oil warm. ( the computer decides this, of course, based on a number of driving conditions and level of battery charge )

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-11-06 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You can match ( or even exceed ) the EPA ratings even using such things as A/C and other power-driven accessories if you keep the engine warm most of the time, avoid a lot of stop-and-go driving, drive with a light foot, keep the tire pressures up, and don't load the car up with a lot of weight. This, of course, though, is not possible or practical for everyone.
Old 01-11-06 | 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
many ppl get 50 mpg on average in Prius (even I did, brand new prius, during summer, mostly city driving, 55mpg easy on highways). How many ppl get 36mpg average in Corolla? I think 4cly sedans are bigger problems than Hybrid vehicles...

Main reason is that hybrids dont use much more gas while accelerating (they use electric engines), while normal 4cly do, so their discrepancy will be larger than EPA tests show. This is an reason that Corolla gets better EPA mpg than Yaris, although in real life it gets 20%-30% less mileage.

There are also tougher EPA tests coming in 2011, which are going to bring different tests. 2008 regulation is going to add extra consumption based on AC usage alone.
Old 01-11-06 | 04:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
many ppl get 50 mpg on average in Prius (even I did, brand new prius, during summer, mostly city driving, 55mpg easy on highways). How many ppl get 36mpg average in Corolla? I think 4cly sedans are bigger problems than Hybrid vehicles...

You can do 50-55 MPG in a Prius under ideal conditions...but it is odd that you would get that on the highway, unless you live in a very warm climate where the engine never gets really cold and doesn't waste gas running rich while warming up. For reasons which you and I have both explained, Hybrids usually do significantly better in stop-and-go.
Old 01-11-06 | 08:14 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
Wow , fuel ratings based on real driving conditions ,what a concept

It's about freacking time.
... looks like so much for GM's touting of their new "fuel-efficient" trucks.
Old 01-11-06 | 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You can do 50-55 MPG in a Prius under ideal conditions...but it is odd that you would get that on the highway, unless you live in a very warm climate where the engine never gets really cold and doesn't waste gas running rich while warming up. For reasons which you and I have both explained, Hybrids usually do significantly better in stop-and-go.
that is not true at all. You can get 55 mpg with prius on highway at any time. Its common misconception for people that dont have experience with hybrids. Of course, steady, highway driving is going to get best possible mpg out of any car, including hybrid. Two lane roads with lower speed limits get me to 60-65mpg, without any issues at all.

It is city driving that gets hurt at winter (as well as with any other car though), because Prius has to not only warm itself, but your cabin as well. In stop and go driving, it means its engine is used more (a lot). Of course, it still gets better mpg than diesels, since they are affected as well. Actual highway driving is not really that different because engine warms up pretty quickly. New Camry Hybrid will have an ECO mode for HVAC, so its winter mpg hit is less.

So, short trips and city driving is what, during the winter, lowers the mileage. If you drive on highways a lot, Prius will still get about the same mpg.
Old 01-11-06 | 10:03 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

My ES300's rated at 19/26... I usually get 28ish on highway driving. In terms of city driving, I don't actually get an accurate reading since a lot of my "city" involves driving through the country first, so it's usually around 21. I'm confused, but I know that other vehicles are backwards in accuracy with this.
Old 01-11-06 | 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
My ES300's rated at 19/26... I usually get 28ish on highway driving. In terms of city driving, I don't actually get an accurate reading since a lot of my "city" involves driving through the country first, so it's usually around 21. I'm confused, but I know that other vehicles are backwards in accuracy with this.
honestly, I think separate values for city and highway dont matter, your average matters. Lots of diesel guys brag about this one magical trip where they got 60 mpg - which is quite possible and easy on our two lane roads - but when you ask them about their averages, its around 30-35mpg :-).