Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2000 SC300, Boxster S or GS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 05:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
If you don't have kids, go for the Boxster! Nothing like a convertible.
You can also get the Solara as a convertible.This would make sense....especially if you were pleased with your old Solara...........but the newer one is styled somewhat like an Audi TT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-06 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 05:43 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps this should have been a poll
Old 01-12-06, 05:48 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Yeah, your probably right about the poll Cobra... I guess I'm just technically challanged.. LOL

Thanks for all the replies folks.

The solara is a good vehicle, but I want another vehicle that I love - like my 93 SC.

So, I am still undecided between another coupe or the Boxster. Insurance and WAF may be the deciding factors... Wife doesnt like the idea of the Boxster..... Afraid I'll go trolling or something...
Old 01-12-06, 09:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is a sport coupe that you want, i would get the boxster. Damnn That car sounds sweet when it redlines.
Old 01-12-06, 09:58 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
If it is a sport coupe that you want, i would get the boxster. Damnn That car sounds sweet when it redlines.
How is the Boxter a coupe?

Chris
Old 01-12-06, 10:07 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I would probably jump for the Boxster. You already have a SC300(though a little bit older) and 2 previous SC(according to your sig), why get another one. Spice it up a little. If you can find a good deal on the Boxster S, I would be all over that.
Old 01-12-06, 01:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
How is the Boxter a coupe?

Chris
2doors=a coupe..whether it designated is a ragtop, roadster,.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 01-12-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 06:39 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Boxster doesn't get a ton of respect here in SoCal; it's kind of a "chick's car." They are capable cars, and fun to drive... but my GS with simple bolt-ons will actually beat a Boxster S stoplight to stoplight.

I love the SC; the body is fairly timeless, but compared with more modern cars it appears to have a very short wheelbase with longish overhangs. A neat car to drive, though! I still really like these cars.

I'll throw out one more idea: instead of a Boxster, how about a clean, used NSX? I am actually shopping for one for my dad- the idea of an aluminum body, Titanium connecting rods, and out-of-the-ordinary appearance of the car are quite appealing. Plus, they are becoming somewhat collectible. Toss some springs & shocks in it with some nice wheels and tires and you have a killer car that is fun to drive (MUCH more fun than the Boxster, in my opinion), reliable as a stone, easy to live with, and turns heads like crazy.

It's on my short list of "must have" cars.
Old 01-12-06, 09:10 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I love reading things like this....
Stuff like "And Porsche isn't exactly known for reliability any more than Bimmer" (hint, both BMW and Porsche are above average and guess who is #2 right behind Lexus? Yes, Porsche).

and "but my GS with simple bolt-ons will actually beat a Boxster S stoplight to stoplight." - yea sure, simple bolt ons. Oh and God help you if you need to turn somewhere in between.

Seriously, the Boxster (or is it a Boxter now? - my third favorite BTW) will be a blast to drive. I just don't see how it compares to the other two cars when space is not an issue. But then again, you did ask the question on ClubLexus!
Old 01-13-06, 10:22 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999

and "but my GS with simple bolt-ons will actually beat a Boxster S stoplight to stoplight." - yea sure, simple bolt ons. Oh and God help you if you need to turn somewhere in between.

Seriously, the Boxster (or is it a Boxter now? - my third favorite BTW) will be a blast to drive. I just don't see how it compares to the other two cars when space is not an issue. But then again, you did ask the question on ClubLexus!
Intake and exhaust is all that's required. As for the turns... I've got that pretty well covered. Sticky tires, H&R coilovers, Daizen sway bars, 14" StopTech brakes. My GS did .93g (two way average) on a skidpad at Pomona on 20" Yokohama AVS Sport tires last year. I'm not necessarily saying the GS will hang with a Boxster around turns on Mulholland Road, but I will definitely surprise a Boxster- and the driver of the Boxster better be damn good to keep in front of me.

Or, I can bring out my MR2. Then it will be no contest!
Old 01-13-06, 02:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Intake and exhaust is all that's required. As for the turns... I've got that pretty well covered. Sticky tires, H&R coilovers, Daizen sway bars, 14" StopTech brakes. My GS did .93g (two way average) on a skidpad at Pomona on 20" Yokohama AVS Sport tires last year. I'm not necessarily saying the GS will hang with a Boxster around turns on Mulholland Road, but I will definitely surprise a Boxster- and the driver of the Boxster better be damn good to keep in front of me.

Or, I can bring out my MR2. Then it will be no contest!

I don't doubt that a modified GS can hang with and maybe beat the Boxster in performance, but it is kind of pointless to compare modified cars to stock cars. I guess you could always throw on a turbo or supercharger on the Boxster to make things more even though.

The MR2 is one sweet car. I love those cars. However, the owner of the Boxster could just bring out his 911 turbo as well Obviously I'm just joking around here, but my point is modified cars and stock cars just can't be compared head to head that easily.

If the original poster wanted a fun car to drive. With minimal to no modifications the Boxster fits that bill perfectly out of the cars he listed. Even a turbocharged SC300 would still not be as fun to drive as the mid engine Boxster even if the Boxster would be a lot slower.
Old 01-13-06, 02:13 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of them, get the 92-02 SL class. You could pick up a 97 SL w/AMG package for the same price as those 3, it looks better, and probably is faster.
Old 01-13-06, 03:17 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default ahh, you guys are all great!

Great input.

The Boxster is a very nice car, but after an extended test drive today I realized that my legs are just too long for that car.

Drove a 540 to liven up the mix some, the V8 was nice and powerful, the interior nice but the styling just didn't appeal to me enough.

Got another SC, the black 2000.

Yah, the MB AMG would be nice also.